Empty space...fitting out the PUP, or what's in your pantry?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by JayGoCamper, Jul 13, 2019.

1. JayGoCamper

JayGoCamper Member

Our camping gear has always been segregated into two lots. One lot includes the cooler, grill, chairs, and chuck box (a chuck roll. in our case). These need to be easily accessible for picnicking, I keep them in the TV, but will also use them for cooking outside the PUP.

The other lot formerly consisted of the bulky sleeping and shelter suff, but now all we have to bring is our pillows.

I filled half the one under seat bin that doesn't hold the inverter and batteries with paper towels, aluminum foil, tp, and some additional cooking gear packed in a milk crate. The other half holds the water stuff: a solar shower, hose, and collapsible water jug (my dishpan is in the sink)

My single eeny-weeny drawer has pens, paper, a digital clock, and a spare lightbulb. Towels, soap and face cloths are in one of the cabinets. But I still have lots (relatively speaking) of space left.

It occurs to me that I could use some of it for an expanded pantry. The chuck roll holds only small amounts of oils and spices, but I am trying to think of what basic foodstuffs I might want to have always available.My list, so far, includes
    1. replenishment sizes of salts, seasonings, oil, vinegar etc.
    2. pastas, rice, cous cous
    3. canned tuna, corn beef hash
    4. pasta sauce
    5. salsa
    6. olives
    7. chicken broth
    8. Pillsbury Gravy Flour
    9. cereal
    10. sugar
    11. shelf stable milk
    12. ?
    And then, of course, I need a whisk broom and dust pan and spray bottle, for cleaning. (Question how do I clean the transparent plastic windows?)

But what am I forgetting?

2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Put anything that comes in cardboard packaging into plastic containers. Don't keep too big a replenishment supply in the trailer - just enough for one season at most.

I keep a lot of what you listed plus pancake mix, cream of wheat, baked beans, soup, chili, canned tomatoes. Things that make for a quick easy meal if needed.

Some shop towels are good to keep. You can use them for many different things. And a set of basic tools plus duct tape, WD-40, glue, sealant, etc. Bungie cords and zip ties. And a cheap tarp and moving blanket.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I personally don't keep food related stuff in the camper. I had a huge ant problem in my old popup so now don't dare leave food or food particals anywhere. Just in case. Don't know why or where those ants came in. Doesn't help the camper is stored off site in a field. So it probably was inevitable. I'm not going to help it along. Not to mention I camp in bear country sometimes. Sure wouldn't want a visit from Yogi if I forgot to take something out. With that said, I keep a cabinet with tarp, bungies, Ducktape, etc. I have a small tool box that stays in the camper. I may not always have to use it every trip, but I have it if I need it. I have had to use everything on occasion. I do keep, sunscreen, bug spray, dish soap in the camper, but take it out when I close up for the winter.

Toedtoes likes this.
  4. CampingFamily1

CampingFamily1 Active Member

We keep food in the minivan in a Rubbermaid container we bought 27 years ago at Walmart. Walmart still sells a newer version of this Rubbermaid container.

[​IMG]

5. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

The keeping of food items is really dependent upon your personal situation. Both my campers are at home and I use them year round. You do have to consider potential bug/critter problems.

6. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

I would think keeping food stuff in the pup is dependent upon how often you're going out camping. If it's often enough that packing in the food stuff to go out and then unpacking the food stuff when you get back is taking up too much time, then I'd probably keep some of the more basic canned and/or very well sealed (in bug and rodent proof containers) food stuffs in there.
    What you include in this camper pantry is completely dependent upon what type of foods you're planning on eating or usually eat.

7. JayGoCamper

JayGoCamper Member

Thanks everyone

ToedToes, I keep a small toolkit and a First Aid kit in the Outback, along with a tupperware box of "connectibles" like tarb buttons, binder clips and guy line tighteners. I will have to add some of your suggestions to it.

JMKay, thanks for the reminder. I know I will want to will stow the tarp cover & bungees inside the PUP, so I will have to remember to leave some room for that.

We live in bear country. You can't claim to be a local if you have not seen "the bear" that lives in the nature preserve and raids the town park after busy picnic days. So while I may keep pantry stuff in the camper for travel, it will all be moved to the outside kitchen a mealtimes and then whisked off to the tow vehicle over night.

Bug-off buttons, impregnated with citronella and mosquito nets that are worn over the head are already in the chuck roll, but my husband has a strong reaction to insect bites, so I think I should probably should add a USB driven mosquito zapper to the camper.

HappyTraveler, I have lots of sealed storage containers because, we usually have an ant problem every year, but they haven't shown up this year. The heavy winter rains must have drowned their colonies.

Like ToedToes, I live in a place where we can camp year round, so it makes sense for me to keep a small stash of the basics plus some just-in-case-and-nearly-famished-to-the-point-of-starvation, quick food like emergency Spaghettio's.

CampingFamily1, Rubbermaid was my preferred camping organizational method for years. Even now that we have the PUP, I am sure we will always have a small one along for stuff like bread, rolls, chips, cookies, etc.

HappyTraveler likes this.