Empty Water Heater

NothingsChocking

Mar 7, 2017
Not on Here
Hi, still new to the camper thing. I thought I had my campers water heater in bypass, but after using it for the third time and squaring it away at home, I noticed a slosh coming from the water heater as I moved about and the stabilizers were not down. The actual plumbing diagram is not in my manual. I noticed there are three lever valves that I guess work together. My question is this: which ones stay open and which one stays shut to bypass and how do I get that water out? I am also assuming that when the lever of the valve (handle) is running parallel to the pipe it is open, and perpendicular (90^) is shut; am I right? I have a Rockwood A122BH and it has a small propane heater surrounded by styrofoam. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

*Edit: Sorry, Parallel is open, missed that.

Last edited:

Antipodes

Call me Paul
Jan 28, 2015
Christchurch, New Zealand
I am also assuming that when the lever of the valve (handle) is running parallel to the pipe it is open, and perpendicular is open;
Yes you are semi right.
The hose going to the water heater should be a 90 degrees to the hose (Shut off)and the hose with the other valve (Bypass) should be running along the hose(open).
TO empty the water heater you need to pull the anode at the bottom of the heater (accessing it from the external door). You can either leave it open or plug it! If you are packing it away for winter, just leave it open. But in your case I suggest plug it as water may still leak pass those cheap shut off valves.

Remember DO NOT run the water heater when it has no water in it and it is in By Pass!