Emptying Porta-potti - Did I make a grievous error?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by rjniles, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

I tried dumping mine and the Sanidump once and it was terrible. It was concrete with this little 3" hole with a metal flap flush with the ground. I had to step on the flap with one foot and try to aim the porti-potti spout in the hole before it started spilling out. Disastrous. Since then I've used campground outhouses. Much easier because of the height. I wouldn't use a flush toilet though as it would fill up quickly. I wouldn't want to see someone using the bathroom since to fill and rinse their potty.

2. mtn_bikers

mtn_bikers Northern NJ

I almost never use the dump station because there is always a line. I do as you did, or wait until we get home. But I also bring Clorox wipes and wipe down the toilet that I dump in, just in case a little splash happens.

3. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Someone needs to come up with a really large funnel >
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ /
    \ ________ /
    | |
    | |

Than everyone can feel clean and safe, dumping either place.

Enjoy Camping! [8D]

4. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Where we dump our potty depends on a several factors. If we are at a campground for just a few days, then we will dump at the dump station on the way out. That way we can clean it really well. If there is a long line, and this has only happened once, then we will wait until we get home and empty it in our own toilet. If however we stay at the campground for more than a few days, we empty the potty very other day in the campground toilet before making our finial dump and clean at the end of our stay.

We have never created a biologically contaminated mess, nor would we ever leave any sort of mess toxic or not.

5. The Wargos

The Wargos New Member

I guess I'll add my [2C]:

Number One:

Cassette toilets are specifically designed to be able to safely/cleanly transport a few gallons of waste and safely/cleanly dispose those few gallons directly into a toilet whether at home or at the campground. Let's face it, we're only talkin' extremely low volumes when compared to the black water tanks of the large RVs - they HAVE to use the dump station. There is no other choice. Cassette toilets give you the choice and if there is a line at the dump station, you can excercise your other choice.

Number Two:

Well.... number two..... ewwwwwwww!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

(I just love when this topic rears it's ugly head.... hehe)

6. ScouterWife

ScouterWife Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

Since we've only used ours for weekend trips, it's never gotten completely full, and I've just waited and emptied it in my toilet at home. I don't find anything disgusting or gross about it, and if I had to do it at a campground I'd do it in the toilet there.

7. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

We have always used the dump station and the potti cleaned out real well there. If the dump station is full then we will empty it when we get home. I know of other folks that use the cg facilities but for some reason I would rather use the home facilities. I suppose it is just a preference thing.

8. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

@ The Wargos [LOL] - too funny!

I use an old-school porta potti - not a cassette toilet, but close enough. I wanted to know whether it was okay to dump them in a toilet for environmental reasons, not so much the 'ick' factor.

From what I can tell, there is no problem dumping the chems and waste in the toilet, as long as the CG's on a sewer. If the CG's on a septic system, then I guess it could cause problems - maybe leeching, or messing up the chemical balance of the septic tank - dunno for sure. This may be why some CG's prohibit dumping potties in the toilet, and some do not.

As far as people getting mad about it, I agree with others that it's fine to do as long as the CG doesn't prohibit it, and you leave the toilet as clean as you found it! [:(O] I also bring the Clorox wipes to make sure that any slight splashes are cleaned up. I've also used the dump station, but that infernal metal flap thing was really hard to use without getting stuff on my shoes.

Gotta bring disposable hip waders next time... [LOL]

9. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

We use the dump station. Our gray water tote has to go the dump station so it makes sense to take the cassette on the same trip. I have dumped the cassette at home in our half bath a couple of times.

We don't use the park bathrooms as a dumping station. Most of the state parks we camp at really do a great job of keeping the restrooms clean. I'm careful with our cassette at the dump station, but still get an occasional drip outside the drain pipe. That's why they have the hose there. If the same thing happened at the restroom, I would feel obligated to clean it up and frankly have no desire to start grabbing paper towels to clean up drips on the floor.

And yes I would feel obligated to do so even if other folks had obviously missed. I can't control their behavior, but I can certainly show some respect for those that work hard to clean the park by not contributing.

10. robsheila

robsheila New Member

I'm starting to get a little confused. I have a cassette potti. I've seen similar models on the shelves at my local Wal-mart. What's confusing me is waiting till you get home on Sunday to dump it? I have to dump mine once a day, or it's full. It's just DH and myself, and I refer to it as a P-pot (as that's all it's used for). The instructions indicate to dump it in a toilet when full.

Note that the big RV's have a hose and several attachments to drain their tanks into that opening. All I have is a little 14"x14" plastic suitcase-shaped box and good aim. The larger opening of a toilet seat, as well as the height, help. I am careful to always lift the seat -- something other people seem to struggle with as they are usually splattered and wet.

I guess it's just a dirty situation. I think I'm cleaner/more sanitary in dumping my cassette than other people are using the toilet in general. But having to go to the dump station every afternoon to drain pee from a pot seems a little much when the toilet facility or outhouse is just a few campsites away.

11. Nomad

Nomad Observe a moment of silence to listen to your soul

I would have to agree with BillnFran about proper disposal. I think we have all been caught up in the dump station traffic jam at one time or another. Is it frustrating? Yes! Are we all trying to get out before the check out time? Yes! What I have learned is to go at an off time like around dinner time. Most people are busy getting campfires going and cooking their meals. It usually is quieter around that time. Although you may be a neat and conscientious person, the next guy may not be. I think it sets a bad precedent if the rules and procedures are only followed when it is convenient.

12. EV2

EV2 Member

The popup toilet cassettes are designed to be dumped into a toilet and the manual explains the method. A little logic goes a long way. (why is common sense so uncommon?) I have used my carpeted bath with not even a drip splashed in three seasons. Why is a wrinkled rear end on the rim more sanitary than a well-designed extension at water level pouring carefully into the center of the stool without touching anything? And, as already referenced, the worst of all, a very short extension spraying urine from 3 feet away in the general direction of the stool with the seat down, is apparently more sanitary? NOT.

13. bmb

bmb New Member

Ha. Just a tip for next time... Look for a brick or rock nearby (this is usually the case), just kick the rock onto the metal flap. Then dump... When complete wash down and remove the rock. No need to get your foot near that stuff. If your good you don't even use your hands.

14. BoatCamp

BoatCamp Enjoy!

We used our P-pot (good name) for the first time this weekend and I emptied it at the bathroom. Felt a little self conscious 'cause I wasn't sure if I should. But I was very carefull. [8D] I had read the instructions several times and they said to use a toilet to drain into.
    After the initial drain, I had to take it outside to a faucet (one not near a sink) to add water for a rinse. Then back into the toliet to drain that. Again, seat up and slow, careful pour to avoid splashing.
    I have to agree that the dump station doesn't seem to be designed to accomodate these portable toilets. [:!] And one is more likely to make a mess there than at a bathroom. [:(O]
    (And, I would think that the reverse is true, that trying to run hoses from a large RV into the bathroom to dump those black water tanks would be much harder than using the dump station. [:!] [;)] )
    I agree that I should check with the SP to see if what I do is allowed. If so, I will add some Clorox wipes to the process to be courteous. If someone complained to me, I would politely explain my process. If they still have an issue, I will politely invite them to involve the park ranger and have the authority settle the matter. :) If I not allowed, I'll probably take it home, then up the stairs into the master bath where I can use the toilet for draining and the tub for filling, because I'm that carefull. :) But first I'll try the brick at the dump station routine, to see how hard that is. [:D]
    It's too bad all of us aren't considerate of other and clean up after outselves so that there are less complaints in the world. I try to keep in mind that courtesy is the lubrication of society. [:D]

Oops, that got long.
    Bottom line:
    If I'm wrong, I'm sorry. If I'm right, I'll still be carefull. :)

15. The Canning Clan

The Canning Clan New Member

I don't really care either way but seems to me the ones who don't have a problem with it are the ones that do it.

16. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

One more thought to add to the mix...

Some state parks in Oregon don't have dump stations. The only choice is to use the CG's BR or locate and drive to some faciliity in the geneal vicinity, if one even exists, and pay a fee to dump the waste there.

17. EV2

EV2 Member

And, the inverse, of course - the ones who have a problem with it, do not have one designed this way, and do not know the actual process.

18. bmb

bmb New Member

It's amazing to me, how much conversation potti questions generate in the forums. [;)]

19. The Wargos

The Wargos New Member

Does this make us all "potty mouthes"? [:D]

This topic "brings out the worst " in some people.... some folks just want to "unload"...... other folks are "fuming" and just want to "vent".... and then there are those among us that just want some comic "relief"... it could be time to "put the lid down" on this string. The "END"! [:D]

20. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

Lighten up Francis...errrrrrrrr Bill. You made your point. At least this guy is asking . You even said you started to do it in the past.

By the way, "Lighten up Francis" is from a movie, you don't have to lighten up if you don't want to...