Emptying Porta-potti - Did I make a grievous error?

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by rjniles, Sep 28, 2009.

1. rjniles

rjniles Member

I am the OP on this thread (sorry about that, folks :)). The responses seem to be running about 80/20 % that dumping in a toilet is OK (as long as you are careful). In the future I will ask the question when I register and take my direction from there. Thanks to all who responded; I can appreciate all your viewpoints. Lets end this thread here [SNZ]

2. perterra

perterra Member

When dry camping I just use a Reliance toilet. http://www.relianceproducts.com/products/sanitation/92.html

Easier and I dont have to fool with water, use it when it's full zip lock it and throw it in the dumpster.

3. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

I've emptied our cassette twice. The first time the park had no dump station so I used the bathroom - very carefully and early in the morning so other people wouldn't get grossed out or have a fit. The second time I used the campsite dump station. That was a much more pleasant experience. In the future I would probably "save" the emptying process until I found a dump station.

4. mogulsmoke

mogulsmoke Howdy Everyone...

I am new to the Porta Potty/Cassette Potty issue... What I don't see is where do all of you dump those buckets of gray water I see outside of so many PUPs? I just came back from motor home travel (due to age), and I have to tell you that dumping Class A Tanks are not all that easy and clean... Takes a long time if you rinse the tank properly and people are not that patient. I think dumping the cassette will be a breeze whether in a sewer or CG toilet.
    So, where do you take those buckets?

5. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

I mainly boondock so the cassette potty contents are buried in a hole in the ground. I have been to a campground once when using the cassette and I attempted to use the dump station and as others have said.. did not have a pleasant time trying to hold open the lid and pouring at the same time. I would not oppose to dumping in a cg toilet... keeping it neat.. however I know that it takes a couple of rinses to get the cassette clean.. where are you filling up for the rinses?? If the answers are the bathroom sinks.. that I think I have a problem with... If you have to go outside and back in to rinse.. at that point I would think the dump station is more convenient.. and with the brick or rock idea.. may be my solution!

6. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

What about all the people who can't hit the toilet with their "new" biological waste? I am very careful, and at least mine is treated.

Greg

7. Lori3778

Lori3778 New Member

We use the dump station for both the cassette and the grey water. First we dump the cassette and then the sink water, then with tank from the shower. There's enough soapy water in it to leave the dump station nice and clean for the next guy. [LOL] One place we camped didn't have a dump station so we used the campground bathhouse to dump the cassette, but had to fill it with water back a camp since we couldn't rinse it out without making an extra trip. The best thing to do is get a site with sewer -- problem solved. [:D] We also have a place to dump it where we store our camper, if we don't have any other options.

8. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

OK the consensus is that "as long as you don't spill and make a big mess". And if you do, have a conscience to clean it for other fellow campers. Thank you.

9. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

Thanks people, I am to the point after reading this I won't even use my cassette [LOL].

I am new to this entire cassette toilet stuff, my new to us pup has one, and at this point I don't know what is better? People yelling at me in the restroom or finding rocks so I don't dump on my shoe!!! I don't even know how a dump station works, never used one, but if I have to find rocks that doesn't sound like fun. Top if off I have lutropublicaphobia which is the fear of public restrooms, so how will I feel walking into that restroom with a cassette (30 times worse than just trying to use it myself)?

10. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

I have done both, when i can i use the dump station and if no dump station i use the Toilet in the bath house.

11. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

X2 but just #1 [8D]

12. turborich

turborich Active Member

What's wrong with dumping it in a toilet if you don't make a mess? nothing worse than what comes out of your butt if you sit on the pot. [:D]

It's better then dumping it on the ground. [2C]

13. rms62003

rms62003 New Member

Agreed, although I've never tried to dump my tank in a public toilet. The public opinion may be that you are doing something 'wrong.' (but if you could get that stall door closed all the way, could they really know?)

I've used the dump stations, and they are not cassette friendly. I found it harder to dump my black water there than in the toilet itself.

14. AMomInLove

AMomInLove New Member

I would never have emptied our porta-potti into a CG bathroom toilet ---- ALWAYS used dumping station or waited till we got home to clean out.

15. cfmx

cfmx New Member

I always wait until we are home. Husband washes the camper while I clean the cassette. I guess lucky for us we have tile floor and I have never had it drip carrying it anyways. Then I rinse outside.
    Always keep clorox wipes in the bathrooms to clean afterwards. Even though I don't see any spills it just makes me feel better. [;)]

16. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

I see both points of view.
    Just check to see what the regulations are at the campground and follow them. If someone doesn't like the regulations, then it's their problem (not your problem if you are abiding by them).

Regardless of campground regulations, I have a problem with people disposing of human waste in the regular garbage. I will admit that it is my personal problem and would never confront someone about it. I will take extra care now that I know so many campers are throwing out bio-hazardous waste at campground trash facilities.

17. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

The Ft Wilderness front desk instructed me to dump my porta potti cassette on the toilet at the comfort station. By the way with the way they are designed it is pretty difficult to spill

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

18. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I dump the cassette toilet at the dump station or if the site has a sewer hook up I dump it down the pipe. If I do spill a little bit a the dump station I rinse it down with the hose that is there. I do not see what the big deal with dumping it in the toilet. I mean nothing that is in the tank would be any differant than what you would be putting in there by sitting on it. Just remember to lift the seat before you dump.

19. thecigarmann

thecigarmann New Member

The number one rule is to always follow campground rules.

20. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

I never thought about using an empty full hook up site, thanks for the tip.

I normally never check out on a weekend day, I normally check out on a week day. I hate the rush to get to the dump station. I use a couple of 5 gallon containers to empty my grey water tank and carry the grey water to the appropriate place to empty them. I do this everytime I add 10 gallons to my fresh water tank which only holds 10 gallons. My black water tank is 9 gallons and is sufficient for the DW and me for up to 5 days.
    See (were not full of it) ha ha. Years ago I used to empty my porta-pottie in the toilet at the bath house.
    This was a every other day event an only had a couple of gallons at a time. I was very careful and if I did spill a little, I always cleaned it up. Now A days that is frowned upon...

[​IMG]

But when one grows older and has more spendable $$ one tends to purchase more convenient items.