Enjoy your camping while you can!

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by itfchaos, Oct 3, 2013.

1. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

My family of 4 (wife, 2 kids) love camping and even though my kids are getting older and getting jobs, etc.. we still take the time to go camping. However about a month and half ago I was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. I have been going through chemo, and even with this all happening I still have a bad case of the camping bug. I want to go so bad but things in life has now changed what I can and can't do. At this point we will be selling the popup because money is going to get tight with all the expenses. I'm going to be very sad to see it go, my eyes water up just thinking about it. I'm going to miss all the "good times" in it.

Bottom line I guess what I am trying to say is enjoy the precious time you have with your family. I use to let the little things bother me when camping like the kids leaving food out, or not putting things back, etc.. Don't let those little things bother you, enjoy the time together. You never know when something like this can happen and end your camping trips.

Here is a facebook page my son put together for my fight.

I want to thank everyone on this forum for the help I have received over the years with issues I ran into on my popup. Plus I was glad to help a few people myself.

2. backwoodzbum

backwoodzbum New Member

You will never be alone Jeff. Keep Jesus in your thoughts and prayers. Each day I find more and more ways HE is with me. Sending Prayers for you and your loved ones from Michigan

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn New Member

Thank you for the reminder, we all need to hear it more often.

4. MIlover

MIlover Member

Jeff, I'm so sorry you and your family are going through this. Your reminder is a good one. Stay positive and start fighting. Many prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Thoughts and Prayers from Florida. Stay strong and keep the Camping itch, you may be able to scratch it soon [8D]

6. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

itfchaos :) [SUN] :) our blessing to you and yours and our prayers. our niece was diagnosed 2 years ago with lung cancer and my mom who is 87, now just last month, was told she has 2 to 3 possibly 4 months because of lung cancer. our niece is beating her [as she calls him] Pete with chemo therapy. mom is not going that way as it only would give her a couple of weeks extra. as long as she is not in pain we are ok with her wishes and so we are sending you our love and prayers. please use them and scatter them around when done with them. and good luck. ps. colon cancer is not fun but hope you keep the camping bug as that would be giving in and where can you get better therapy than camping out in the open.

7. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

You may need to sell the pop up, but maybe you can squeeze in a weekend at a basic camper cabin before the end of the season. Have a campfire, sit around and enjoy the fresh air, trees, and your family. That's what you need so you can visualize it while going through your treatments...All the wonderful blessings we enjoy and hold so dear. We will keep you in our prayers.

8. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

I will add you to my list of those with cancer that I pray for. I liked your FB page so I can keep up with your progress. May Jesus not only guide you and your family through this time, but also guide your doctors through this battle.

9. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Stay strong and keep on fighting.

10. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

I say keep the popup, and look at it every day! Promise your pup that you're not abandoning it, that you're only taking good care of yourself for a while, that it's only for a while, and then visualize that day you make that long-awaited camping trip!

Don't know what kind of camper you have or how much $$$ it will bring... but just keep it. Make do in other ways. Your camper may well be a wonderful source of inspiration! Only sell it as a last resort of desperation!

Regardless, do what you need to do.

I wish you the best. Prayers sent, too.

Kim

11. Agfadoc

Agfadoc Member

Thoughts and prayers from my family. I'm so sorry that you have to fight this, but fight you must!

If it means selling the camper so be it, as others have said there are other ways to get the experience and they can never take your memories. It's just an object.

Just think of the popup you'll get once you win the fight!

Never give in, never surrender. Surround yourself with your family and thank you for the reminder, family is the most important thing.

12. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Keep up the good attitude and the good fight, Jeff.

13. mickaqua

mickaqua Member

Good advice. :)

Maintain your courage. :)

Best wishes. :)

14. 46Ford

46Ford New Member

May the Lord and a positive attitude stay with you through this time. You never know what lies ahead. Things might work out.

Good luck.

15. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

One of our student's mom just beat her battle with colon cancer! It can be done!
    May God give you and your family what YOU need everyday. Amen!
    Big hugs from Korea!

16. Maggie Muffin

Maggie Muffin Member

Jeff, I hope you do get an opportunity to enjoy camping with your family again.
    Thank you for taking the time to remind all of us about what is truly important.
    Wishing you and your family the best!

17. WendyLouWho

WendyLouWho Wendy & Marlin

God bless, Jeff. You are in our prayers but you can beat this. Stay strong and look into raw foods (don't know if you wanted advice, but you have years to go...camping or otherwise!) Love, prayers and light from south Texas.

18. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Good thoughts and prayers during your fight. The camper can be replaced. I agree with your comment about not sweating the little things. We have lost some good friends over the last few years and you quickly realize that the little stuff just doesn't matter. Hope to see you camping soon. We will keep the campfire burning in the interim.

19. scoutmom52

scoutmom52 New Member

Hugs and Besses, Pixie Dust and Prayers!!!!

Ginger

20. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

God bless and get yourself right man.