Enjoy your camping while you can!

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by itfchaos, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Sending all good and positive thoughts to you Jeff. And adding you to my prayers to God. Please keep us all updated on your progress. You are a valued member of this forum and your thoughts, opinions and advice are still needed here.

2. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Don't get rid of the pup. You can beat this and go camping again.

Campit

3. mtnman1989

mtnman1989 Member

I had colon cancer last year and it is all gone now. We are back doing the same things we did before and that includes camping. Dont give up, you can beat it!
    mtnman

bahanse75 likes this.
  4. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

Thoughts & prayers are coming your way. Don't lose the camping itch keep fighting!!

5. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We're going through a battle with cancer in our household as well. I know how things can look larger than life scary, but it probably would be an inspiration to keep your pup if you can. Little things have not brought so much enjoyment as camping for so little expense and effort. I've had health issues myself in the past and take it from somebody who's not supposed to be on this side of the ground... Nobody knows what is to come for you. In the face of impending storms, we more often than not forget clear skies are on the other side... and when the weather breaks your going to want to get back to camping and enjoying life. We'll be throwing a prayer in the mix for you! Never surrender!

6. stef234237

stef234237 Member

My prayers and bright blessings for your triumph in the battle. Who Dares Wins!

7. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

Thanks everyone for the replies, it peps me up reading them.

I will know a lot more by the end of this month when they do a full body scan on me after my 4th round of chemotherapy. So far I have cancer in the colon (stared there) and spread to liver and the doctors are optimistic they can remove the colon and cut or burn most the liver to remove the cancer from it. First I have to finish my 4th round of chemo this week so we can do the scan and see how affective the chemo was, I may have to do more rounds before we can actually have the surgery done.

8. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Keep us updated on your progress. We can do amazing things now medically. Praying for you. :)

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You and your family are in our prayers. Ray and Jin

10. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

God is bigger than cancer ...pray

11. Eanddrice

Eanddrice Member

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Jeff. We'll pray that you'll be back camping in no time!!

12. itfchaos

itfchaos New Member

It's been a long time since I last posted on this forum. I wanted to let everyone know that I have a facebook page dedicated to my cancer progress and stuff like that.
    https://www.facebook.com/jeffthomaspage/

I did end up selling my popup for $2500 when I started this post way back then. I ended up using that money to buy a 1976 Winnebago chieftain motorhome that was in great mechanical shape other than it needed new brake shoes/pads. I got the motorhome for $1700, and I spent another $400 having the motor tuned up, new shoes/pads for the breaks. new brake lines, some lights in the dash fixed, ect.. by a mechanic. Cancer has wiped out my savings, I had to re-modify my home loan, etc.. to manage to keep my house. I can no longer work and am now disabled. Doctors have given me around 2 to maybe 2 and 1/2 years to live, maybe more, maybe less.

I have camped in the new to me motorhome about 3 times at some local parks around me which is basically all I have ever done my entire life, but I want to do one last big hoo-ray all American road trip to Yellowstone National Park and possibly other places on the way and way back if I can raise enough money. Like for example swing by Mount Rushmore on our way to Yellowstone. I have never seen a big national park before and I think it would be cool to take the old girl (motorhome) on one long road trip (around 1500 miles) with me and my family (wife, son & his wife, and my daughter). We have never seen Yellowstone, Mount Rushmore, or even the Grand Canyon.

If anyone is interested in possibly helping me do this item on my bucket list my family and I would greatly appreciate any help. My son has set me up a donation page on give it forward here:
    https://www.giveforward.com/fundraiser/qpw6/yellow-stone-bucket-list
    I plan to make a dedicated facebook page just for the trip so everyone can see the photos and videos.

Again I want to thank everyone that helped me on this forum with my popup camper and generally having great conversations together, it's been really fun and a great experience. I wish everyone the best in life, and be sure to spend plenty of time with your family because when you lose everything they will be the only thing left for you. Life is short, so make the most of it while you can, don't fight over the little things.

13. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Our thoughts and prayers to you and your family. We have a good camping friend facing the same with lung CA.
    Enjoy the rainbow and don't fret about the rain..

14. Tacoma641

Tacoma641 Member

Prayers for you and your family from California

15. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

I don't believe that our paths have crossed on the forum before, but wishing you the best, and hope that your anticipated trip does work out for you.

16. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Welcome to the club that nobody wants to join...

One of the most useful weapons in your armory is a wicked sense of humour. Its less frightening if you make fun of it ... People around you will be shocked and tell you its in bad taste... But you're allowed!

You're also allowed to slap anyone with a long face, telling you how sorry they are, in that mournful tone that sounds so much like Eeyore... One of my surgical team woke me up the morning after they chopped bits off, with the most outrageous pack of lies that I could tell people about the dashing, ear to ear pirate scar...

You don't need to give up anything ... Just plan to do it louder and harder and more disgracefully!

There are two words that always follow the word "cancer"... "victim" and "survivor". It's up to you, which one you want to be.

Go for it, con gusto. If your hair falls out, get your head polished to a mirror shine.
    Move to a state where you qualify for medicinal pot you keep your appetite...

You get the idea? Take that walking stick and poke the world in the eye with it..

Feel free to reach out to me if you need am extra dose of irreverence from a fellow traveller... And be sure to have most riotous Christmas ever!

17. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I hope to die in my popup... at least not soon or tragic ending but natural or illness, itll have to be in my popup...

18. MsJayne

MsJayne Member

You and your family are in my prayers!

Sent from my Kindle using Taptalk

19. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Just happened on this post. Praying for you and family. My brother is going through 2nd round of treatment for same thing.

20. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Unfortunately, nobody "gets rid" of cancer. No amount of surgery or therapy will make it go away entirely. The word is "remission", which just means that it's hanging around somewhere, and it will come back, on its own schedule. (Any one who tells you they were cured, is deluding themselves )

However, it can remain in remission for a long time... years, very often, so you may live out your days until you get hit by a bus... face it, something ' s going to get you :)

The important thing is to recognise that your body is telling you you're not immortal, you probably won't live to a hundred like you planned... so you'd better review your "to-do" list, and get to work on some of the better items...