Enough research, time to get busy

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by CarNutCass, Apr 28, 2011.

1. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

One of the very few flaws with our HTT when we got it was the failed Concertone CD/DVD player. From what I've read in various forums these things have a high failure rate. After much research and deliberation I've decided what I want to do for entertainment in our camper.

Before I go too far let me say that, for the most part I like to get away from technology when camping. There's no way I'd let my kids lay around in the camper watching tv on a nice sunny Spring day. However, letting the kids watch a DVD in the evening as they wind down for the day and prepare for bed is fine by me. Also, on those days where it pours rain for 8 hours straight, a DVD player can be a God-send.

We currently have a hole in our cabinets where the Concertone unit used to be. We have a shelf with a 20" LCD and an El Cheapo WallyWorld DVD player. One of the problems with the current set-up is that todays LCD TV's, especially smaller ones, have crap speakers. You have to turn the until almost all the way up to hear it.

My plan is to widen the hole in the cabinets to accept a single DIN car DVD player. The camper already has four speakers installed in the walls and ceiling. The sound quality should be considerably better and will be amplified through the head unit. The head unit has a single video out on the rear so the LCD will serve as a monitor rather than television. I have no plans to use the LCD as a TV because I really have no desire to watch broadcast TV while camping. Above the head unit I will create a cubby to hold DVD's.

Here's the unit I plan to buy. Less than $100 at WallyWorld and the reviews are good. I have no plans to use the bluetooth features.

I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Looks good! Good luck with the install!

3. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

Ended up installing this unit instead. I conceded that the existing dvd player was sufficient and that all I needed was a Cd stereo with rear aux input. The unit I originally posted was only available if I had it shipped and I really wanted to be able to look and play before I bought.

I'll try to remember to take some pics this weekend.

[​IMG]

4. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

Good deal 'Cass [​IMG]