entry steps

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by CAMPERBOB, Aug 20, 2014.

1. CAMPERBOB

CAMPERBOB New Member

I have noticed on a couple occasions, especially if the site is out of level, that the step to the ground is pretty high/uncomfortable.

I was thinking of installing a 2 step system(http://www.etrailer.com/Enclosed-Trailer-Parts/Stromberg-Carlson/SM-24-20.html). I think it would work well and only be about 3" lower than the stock one when folded up.

Has anyone else tried this?

2. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

I went a different route and got a folding step. Not cheap but it comes in handy setting up/taking down the awning as well as a second step. Step legs are adjustable so it can handle a certain degree of slope.

3. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

I just completed a V2.0 step mod for similar reasons and I considered that same step. For my application, I decided to use a different step.

[​IMG]

Before:
    [​IMG]

I take my trailer offroad so I didn't want to have the step hanging to low.

All my mod's - click here

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Great find! If it can be attached to the existing step and be stowed away without detaching, I will be buying it.

5. bfahs

bfahs Member

I have a folding plastic step that I keep in the storage. Cheap. Works.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

When we have needed an extra step, we have used lynx levelers and caps ...

[​IMG]

7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We have the Stromberg Carlson platform step, which works fine for us. It can still be a stretch for me if the site is quite unlevel, but it is a lot more stable than either of the plastic steps we've used. The one Rubbermaid step that we still use for some thing sin camp can tend to tip on uneven ground. The other is great for inside the pup, but the large platform is a much better landing place. it is also more slip-resistant than th eplastic ones, which can be important in rainy or snowy weather. (We added non-skid to the pup's step, it was dangerously slippery.)
    http://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Carlson-PA-100-Aluminum-Platform/dp/B002PWJRWS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1408575744&sr=8-8&keywords=platform+step

8. bfahs

bfahs Member

9. jamwius

jamwius New Member

Now that's what I need.... Since I did the axle flip the popup needs an extra step. I made a platform out of wood which is ok but want something that I don't have to store in the camper. The customer reviews look good on it too.

John

10. pixel

pixel Campers: Nature's way of feeding mosquitoes. Unkn.

We upgraded to an Avalon this year, and depending on the layout of the site the stair could be quite high. We decided to take a "cheap" route to add a step to the unit. Those aerobic step platforms (adjustable with different risers) work awesome! They also can double as a bench by the campfire with the kids.

Pixel