Eternabond tape over center seam?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Eddy12, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Eddy12

Eddy12 Member

Hi folks - I’ve got a 2000 Coleman Fleetwood Fairview and I was thinking about putting some Eternabond over the center seam as preventative maintenance. Is there any reason why I can’t just put it over the trim piece and all? Do I need to take that off first?

Finally, is the roof strong enough to get on top of when you’re working on it? Not sure how else I’d be able to get it up there...

Thanks!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

If you have a removable trim ....take it off .......tape ......reinstall.

3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I personally would not want to use Eternabond tape because once you put it on, it would be VERY difficult to take it back off. I would use Dicor to seal it for preventative maintenance.

I also would not want to get on the roof of my pup unless absolutely necessary. But if I did, I would use something (big chunk of plywood?) to disperse the weight. The roof is designed to hold an air conditioner not a human.

4. Eddy12

Eddy12 Member

This stuff?
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083PXD7JF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_28B0QYV55VB4FCY64GK7

How would you do it without getting up on the roof? I feel like I’m missing something obvious.

5. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

That would work but I'm partial to Dicor. I used THIS self-leveling on my seams and vent.

I don't know! I don't have a center seam so it was easy for me.

You could set up a couple of ladders and some boards if you have them available.
    [​IMG]

6. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Eternabond or sealant will certainly work, but as BikeNFish said once the tapes on it’s ON. I used it on my old motorhome on the edges. It was rubber roofed and developed splits where the mfg. curled it over the edge of the raw plywood. I pulled the trim and laid it over the edge and on top. Worked very well.

Good luck with your project.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would put Eternabond over the seam and then use Dicor self leveling on the edges of the Eternabond.

8. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When we bought our Pup the PO had used Eternabond over the center seam and on each edge. We never had a problem.

9. bronsta

bronsta Member

So... does anyone have any ideas on how to apply it without climbing on the roof?
    I was actually gonna do the exact same thing (Eternabond over the center seam on a 1992 Coleman pup) this weekend!
    The Eternabond needs to have pressure applied in order to activate it -- if you can't climb up on top of it, how does one apply pressure?
    Thoughts? Ideas?

10. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ladder?

11. xxxapache

Two ladders with a 2 x 12 spanning across the trailer.

12. bronsta

bronsta Member

Thanks but... I have only one ladder and no 2x12's laying around!

I’m gonna post a whole new question (with pics of my particular issue -- "1992 Coleman roof issue") – if you could, might you take a look and possibly answer some of my questions?

Thanks to all/any who may be able to shed light on this!

13. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

After my jayco roof was rebuilt I etrabond taped all the seams... I never worry if it's going to develope a leak. Ever....

14. xxxapache

One of my clubs has a trailer with a membrane roof and Eternabond sealed edges from the factory. After about 5 years, the Eternabond let go on a seam. We didnt discover it until we found an interior wall with water damage...After seeing that, I put Dicor on the edges of Eternabond.