Eternabond width

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by GatorChamp44, Dec 3, 2019.

1. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

I want to seal my alumatite roof center seam and replace my ac gasket (Coleman mach). I am planning on running eternabond tape over the center seam. Wondering if I should go with 4 inch or 6 inch width. Anyone have any experience here? Also, any special prep needed other than simple cleaning?

2. TRR

TRR Active Member

Are you removing the metal trim on the seam and replacing it with tape, or do you plan to reinstall the metal trim over the tape?

When I replaced my a/c gasket I used eternabond tape around the a/c opening but not the center seam. I put back the metal trim with white butyl putty under it to seal it. No leaks in 4 years.

3. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Your Tacoma doesn't have an AlumiTite roof but rather a conventional aluminum skin roof with a single centre seam. I personally wouldn't use Eternabond tape because no matter how careful you are laying it down it still won't look very good. On a travel trailer where the tape can't be seen, sure - but on a popup I'd reinstall the trim covering that seam and use lap sealant to seal it. Don't also forget to seal each of the 4 roof corners as well.

4. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Active Member

Thanks for the reply. What would I search for on Amazon or colemanpopupparts?

5. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Part numbers for your 2003 Tacoma are available in this parts book ...

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0273/4347/files/2003_coleman_destiny.pdf?16695232820753828628

Unfortunately the centre seam (4752-02791) is no longer available from colemanpopupparts so hopefully your original can still be used. Some prefer white self leveling Dicor lap sealant but when I sealed the centre seam on my 2003 a few years ago I used non sag Geocel Proflex lap sealant because it's offered in clear which doesn't show a sloppy application as much as does white. ;)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019