Etiquette! whats that

chiefbowes

Apr 24, 2008
The problem is that a lot of people dont use etiquette in their daily lives. So while camping thats when they let their hair down and everything else

Kutseena

Running with the wolves
Nov 14, 2010
[:)C] So true my friend. I work in the public school system and witness some unbelievable things. I call it social decay and have thought about writing a book to that regard. We are living in an instant gratification me society.

Kutseena

Running with the wolves
Nov 14, 2010
[:)C]That is so good to hear. Thank goodness some people still try to raise their kids correctly.

JamesRL

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
I am reminded of my trips to Quebec and Paris.

When you are there, you never ever say "I want.....". You always say "a coffee, if you please", and when you receive it, "thank you".

My Ex and I taught our kids to always use please and thank you, and it has really made a difference in how they are perceived out there in the world. Camping is no different.

wapwap

Aug 15, 2011
Beyond please and thank you, some people need to learn "excuse me" and I'm sorry". For example, when you're grocery shopping and want to get an item someone is standing in front of, you say "excuse me please" and wait for them to move - rather than reaching or shoving past them. And if you turn a corner with a cart and you turn into someone that's standing just around the corner, you say "I'm sorry I didn't see you there."

Travelhoveler

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2011
I am bothered that so many men no longer remove their hats and caps when indoors. You go to an inexpensive restaurant around here and all sorts of yokels are wearing ball caps. We were reared to always remove our hats while indoors, when greeting a woman, or for the national anthem. Stupid rednecks here don't seem to have learned that.

RumbleStrip

Apr 1, 2011
Travelhoveler said:
I am bothered that so many men no longer remove their hats and caps when indoors. You go to an inexpensive restaurant around here and all sorts of yokels are wearing ball caps. We were reared to always remove our hats while indoors, when greeting a woman, or for the national anthem. Stupid rednecks here don't seem to have learned that.
I wore a hat for so long..without it its like running around without underware on [:D]

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Yes, it's not only polite to remove a hat when indoors but those of us who spent any time in the military also got it drummed into or heads to "remove cover" when stepping indoors.

Clueless

I use to have a handle on life but it broke.
Apr 6, 2011
Sadly our Society as a whole has dwindled down to where good morals and proper etiquette are almost a thing of the past. One of the most iconic events in recent history is a testament to this fact. I'm sure most of you recall this back in 2008.

Wal-Mart worker trampled to death by frenzied Black Friday shoppers
A Wal-Mart worker on Long Island, N.Y., died after being trampled by customers who broke through the doors early Friday, and other workers were trampled as they tried to rescue the man. At least four other people, including a woman who was eight months pregnant, were taken to hospitals.

Fights and injuries occurred elsewhere at other stores operated by Wal-Mart, the nation's leading discount chain, which is one of the few retailers thriving in the current economy.

Meanwhile, two men at a crowded Toys "R" Us in Palm Desert, Calif., pulled guns and shot each other to death after women with them brawled, witnesses said.

I just shake my head in disbelief almost every day when I see or hear about the crazy things people do. What happened to us? Is this just the "effects" of human evolution caused by the break down of the family unit and religious beliefs? What ever it is, I don't like it and sadly I don't ever see us returning from the road we have traveled down, but thankfully we still have good people out there so maybe there is some hope.

Travelhoveler

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2011
I wore a hat for so long..without it its like running around without underware on

I wear a hat every single day as well, and have for decades. I just know I am to remove it when stepping indoors, when greeting a woman, or for the national anthem or the raising or passing of the flag, (and if a hearse is passing, too, I might add.)

heathdavis

May 15, 2011
I taught my son very early that "Please" and "Thank you" are words that will make his entire life go more smoothly. (I was never taught that and had to learn the hard way.)

Unstable_Tripod

Well, there's your problem!
May 20, 2008
Seattle, Washington
Reinforcing that point, I traveled to many foreign countries when I worked. I always made it point to learn how to say please and thank you, good morning and goodbye in each language. It is astounding how much of a difference that made. The locals were so happy that someone had made that little effort that they treated me much differently than the jerks who expected that everyone should speak English.

JamesRL

Super Active Member
Nov 1, 2007
Brampton, Ontario
Expanding on that theme a little more....

In Toronto, we have many Chinese restaurants, the ones that primarily cater to people of Chinese ancestry, where the waiter/waitress may speak little to no English. We taught the kids to say thank you in both Cantonese and Mandarin, and you can see someone who is struggling with English while making minimum wage light up with a smile when you try to thank them in their own language. And you usually get more attentive service as well.

Flyfisherman

Super Active Member
Mar 4, 2003
Shallotte, North Carolina
wapwap said:
Beyond please and thank you, some people need to learn "excuse me" and I'm sorry". For example, when you're grocery shopping and want to get an item someone is standing in front of, you say "excuse me please" and wait for them to move - rather than reaching or shoving past them. And if you turn a corner with a cart and you turn into someone that's standing just around the corner, you say "I'm sorry I didn't see you there."

Interesting how cultures and words vary right here in this country. Now, in my neck of the woods, with those particularly of my vintage, would never ever say we are sorry - that has a reference to a person's character and upbringing. For example ... "he's sorry, and that's understandable because his whole family is sorry".

What we would say for a minor infraction is "pardon me" - for something more grievous, it would be "forgive me". Now, as for the term "excuse me" ... that gets into something more personal, like maybe a gentle belch ... (or heaven forbid) ... passing gas!