Evacuation

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Caper, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Caper

Caper Member

Last night I had a dream we had to flee a large scale fire and we loaded up and took our pop up to another province. Has anyone ever had to evacuate a natural disaster with their pop up? If so what was the disaster and tell us your story.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Not yet thankfully but I'm not really in an area of the world where that may be something I would have to worry about. But, always a good idea to have the camper ready to go. Maybe pre-stocked for a long weekend at the very least.

BillyMc, Caper and campfire Joe like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Didn't happen to me but I was at a campsite nearby. We had a huge thunderstorm and lightning ended up striking a tree right near a campsite with a class C. Firefighters were called as the tree was fully engulfed in flames. Think roman candle.
    meanwhile the family in the class C quickly unhooked and drove away from the fire in a matter of a few minutes. Here I was wondering what would happen if that was me there. There is no way I could close the popup and move it in a matter of a few minutes. With a roaring fire short distance away. I would be forced to abandon it until authorities could get the fire under control. Assuming the worst doesn't happen and the camper lights on fire.

Now if a hurricane was to hit VA or honestly my biggest worry all heck breaks loose in Washington DC I figure I can pack my car, hook up to my camper, and evacuate to a safer area. I can do that fairly quick, but actually having to close the camper, in a matter of a few minutes. Not going to happen.

HappyTraveler, Caper and Blackripley like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hook up and pull your camper out slowly, while up. Not ideal, but better then a crispy camper.

HappyTraveler, BillyMc and Caper like this.
  5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Twice with the same hurricane - Irma. We got evacuated from the east coast of Florida first. Came over closer to the gulf side, and ended up under evacuation orders again because Irma turned up the gulf.

I found reservations at a place in north central GA, we packed up AGAIN but couldn't get enough gas. All the stations were out, except one where we got the last few gallons. So we ended up riding it out here (not in the camper.) It was scary and we went a bit over a week with no power, no gas for the generator, and no bottled water was available anywhere. It was the like the apocalypse in our area for quite some time.

HappyTraveler, Caper and Sjm9911 like this.
  6. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

I did in a tent once...Rangers came around with bull horn and told everyone to go to shower houses.
    We came back after the storm and our tent was crushed from a big tree limb.
    We had a tornado in the town next to the campground.

HappyTraveler, Caper and campfire Joe like this.
  7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Wow thats too close for comfort. I went to one campground and all around the campground were signs. "In case of evacuation go to the bathhouses.". On the bath house itself was a sign of a tornado and under that evacuation area. Apparently that area was known to get tornadoes. Kind of nerve wracking just by the pure number of signs,like this is not an area you want to be if weather turns.

HappyTraveler, Caper, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  8. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

It was supposed to miss us...We were supposed to get rain but not bad stuff.
    no sirens went off...It came out of nowhere.
    It was our last tent trip ever...Not that a pop up is much better but we were looking at them
    already.
    I will try to dig up some pics if i have them still on my old phone.
    It was a family trip so we had to go home that night and the highway was littered with trees.
    The next day we bought a new tent and went back out.

HappyTraveler, Caper and jmkay1 like this.
  9. jonkquil

jonkquil Active Member

This is not classed as a natural disaster, but it's a story of having to vacate the campground....
    We were sat at our site chilling, it was a beautiful afternoon. An old Winnebago drives thru the campground, stalls then bursts into flames at our site next to my car. My husband jumped into my car to try & drive it out up the bank. Unfortunately it did not start - found out our teenager had been charging her phone & had killed our battery. We had no choice but to all flee on foot to the top of the campground, where we could see massive flames coming from our site. We had no idea what was burning, our car, our pup, all our stuff, waiting to see what we had lost was horrible! The fire truck came, doused all the flames and it was a few hours before we could access our site to see what we had lost. The winnabago was just ash, unfortunately so was my car, but thankfully my pop-up was just very wet from the firehose! The rest of that day was a mess! I am just thankful that no one was hurt, I also felt sorry for the elderly man who lost his Winnabago, apparently he had been restoring it for years and this was it's maiden voyage!
    Someone had filmed the fire and posted it on YouTube, here's the link for any one who wishes to view it.

10. Sjm9911

Always a good idea to have a fire extinguisher handy, and not the small one that come with the rig. Glad your safe.

11. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Well, I've had to evacuate homes several times because of fire (use to live in CA) - last one came within 50ft of our home and burned 3 of our 5 acres. In Dec 2018 we had to leave a campground to avoid a flooding river. Woke up in the morning to the river almost at our trailer.

Before:
    IMG_2020.JPG-2.jpeg

After:
    2018-12_bryson-082.jpeg

There was another park down the road, some RV's where not so lucky.

12. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wish we'd had time lol; derecho hit in 6/29/2012, winds 80-100 mph...wife/son/me were tent camping, dang nigh 100* that day, & we were talking to some pals over in the electric sites bout 200 meters or so away that evening when a lady came flying out of her camper yelling for people to lash their crap, bad storm was coming out of West Va. w/in an hour. We stayed there bs-ing, w/in 20 minutes the sky turned black, & you could hear the winds coming...told the wife & son to haul azz; w/ a blown hip/knees & back I couldn't run, gave the wife the truck keys & told her to crank up & have it ready. By the time I half galloped back to the site, winds were howling & she was trying to grab stuff & chuck it in the truck bed, told 'em in the truck & off we sped to an open area near the lake. Nobody knew what a derecho was, & an hour later when we went back to the site, it looked like the MOAB had hit; son's tent was destroyed as was our changing pop out, 2 trees down in the site, chairs blown off the site as well; lot of trees down, one on a dumpster, another on a ladies car, awnings ripped from campers, screen houses blown all over the campground as well as a bunch of assorted camping gear. Limbs & leaves everywhere, & the road out was blocked by downed trees...our Kelty tent was untouched, so I opened up the cooler & tossed the son a Coke Cola & myself a barley pop, grabbed a flashlight & went & checked on our pals. They fared ok, had to tell jr dude not to repeat the numerous cuss words we heard coming from the dark as others surveyed their damage...crazy as hay night for sure...

DigitalGuru, HappyTraveler and Caper like this.
  13. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

we were camping in Va during that same derecho - though we were in a sheltered cove, so the winds remained in the upper part of the trees. It was still scary enough as limbs were falling all around us. one limb put a hole in the roof of the popup and another put a huge dent in the hood of my new tow vehicle. The other 1/2 of my group was on the road on the way down to the campsite - they ended up finding a hotel room for the night as there was too much downed stuff on the roads to make it in.

14. Rik Peery

We were at Claytor Lake, wide dang open, a ripper for sure; started in Ohio & got to VA. faster than they said, now everybody knows what a derecho is...

DigitalGuru, HappyTraveler and Caper like this.
  15. Sjm9911

I will say , that during times like those , you just need to quote this! And i will say i have.

HappyTraveler and Caper like this.
  16. Old ackpacker

Old ackpacker Member

17. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Well-Known Member

we were at Lake Anna. It hit Maryland bad too. We came home to Baltimore after being at the Lake to find we had no power - we were out for a week. I wanted to go back to the lake - there i had power and air conditioning.

HappyTraveler, Caper and Rik Peery like this.
  18. Rik Peery

Odd thing is, there was no rain associated where we were, just straight line winds...hope that was my 1st & last experience, would hate to get hit by rain at those wind speeds

19. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

My folks retired to Florida years ago, Port St. Lucie area. Then one year they got hit by 3 hurricanes in one season. Spent the entire season essentially without power and tarps over the roof. Had an open frame generator that dad got from Home Depot, was able to run some fans, fridges and I think the washer/dryer once you shut other stuff off. After that season they decided to move back to Texas.

HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  20. sandreas

sandreas New Member

I watched the video. How scary and awful! What did you guys do to get your pup back home?