Ever cancel due to heat?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Yooperwannabe, Aug 23, 2013.

1. logans

logans New Member

Ahhh... That would have been the week we were at scout camp. Every day that week they closed all of the activities down in the afternoon except waterfront. Twas a bit warm.

2. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Dont know about dry ice but my Yeti cooler kept the same 2 liter bottles frozen for a week.Only bought 1 small bag of ice for it and there was very little water in the bottom after the 5 days.

3. froggie

froggie New Member

I haven't cancelled, but I have opted not to go anywhere because it's too hot. School started for us August 12. Now that trips have to be short, I'm waiting to go again until October, maybe September if we just can't stand it. Summer 2012 we camped in 108+ temperatures with no Gizmos. A/C just couldn't keep up in the afternoons. We played like turtles and stayed in the river. Pretty miserable.

4. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

I won't book any camping trips in July and up to mid August . I don't mind heat during the day , easy to cool off in a lake etc. but hot and sticky at night , no thanks . If i can't have a fire ( because of the heat) it ain't camping to me . We have air but i don't want to sit in the camper all the time .

5. Ladyhawke

Ladyhawke New Member

Yes! Coming up from FL, we found the weather here in VA to be fairly mild at the beginning of the summer. I then proceeded to reserve a campsite for July 4th weekend on a lake so we could kayak. One problem, all the sites with electric and water were reserved so we had to have one without either. I thought "that's ok...it should be fine!". Well, go figure, that our first official heat wave of the summer started right before that. Temps were in the 90s and climbing. We went down on July 4th and set up shop. The temp outside the pup was 94 and the temp inside the pup was 96. Once the sun went down, the temp inside stayed in the upper 80s. We called it a loss, packed up, and came home.

6. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

If we made plans then we are going...weather be d$$ed...hot cold rain don't matter....I feel for folks that cant adjust and tolerate to the conditions around them. Granted having the AC/ heat is nice, but camped many many years without them. Our poor kids NEVER had this comfort camping...

7. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

No, never. This year we camped in the middle of our hottest summer ever, it was like 75 degrees! I had to figure out how to unzip those window things it was so hot. We have a battery operated fan that I had blowing on my legs all night that trip. What made it worse was the open windows let in the sun until like 1:00am, so it was hard to sleep too. It was hot, but we managed.

8. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Heat index in the 100s? Then your temps must be in the 90s...as previously stated Texas summer temps are consstently 100 plus. So....welcome to Texas! [LOL]

We've never cancelled due to heat. This reminds me of our christmas trip in 2005, it was 88 degrees on christmas day!

9. Beerlifter

Beerlifter Oklahoma, It's not just for Indians anymore!

Oklahoma, being a lot like Texas as far as heat is concerned, stays hot for almost 5 months out of the year. We haven't cancelled but it is almost always taken into consideration.

We schedule our activities to the weather. We generally hike in the early morning hours then retreat into the camper for the warmer/hot afternoon hours. Around 7 or 8 pm we exit the camper to relax under the awning and enjoy the view, neighbors, etc.

This Labor Day weekend we are taking a big chance going to Brushy Lake with no hook ups. We have a well shaded site and hope to be cool enough. There is always the Lake to sit in to stay chilled!!!

10. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

We never canceled a trip due to heat! But in July of 2011 we were staying at a campground near Assateague Island the temps were in the upper 90's and the humidity was in the 80's. The first night we were there I looked at my thermometer at 10:00 at night and it was 88 degrees with 80% humidity....mind you that we do not A/C!!!

The heat index is what was really getting to us! We did well during the day, but at night it was just lousy sleeping all week!

If we would have known it would have been that hot the whole week and at night we probably would have canceled the trip. The DW does not do well when it's that hot and humid.

On the way home we were tired, but we all talked about how much fun we had!

11. Pops64

Pops64 Member

I've never cancelled a trip due to heat. But I went camping about 3 weeks ago and it was 103 - 104 all 3 days. That won't happen again. We had fun, but it really took the starch out of me. I'll plan better in the future.

12. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

We stay away from inland CGs here during the summer because they are near 100 degrees with 85-90% humidity and NO wind, not even a breeze.
    This is the time we become human buoys at MongSanPo Beach in Taean.
    Wake up. Go out in the morning after breakfast and float. Come in for lunch and then go back out and float. Come back for dinner. Sleep. Repeat as often as possible.

Cam, what is all that small print? It looks like you accidentally cut and pasted rules from a grammar book! LOL

And dead puppies? Is that what you teach? LOL! "Dead puppies aren't much fun..."

13. apopkabob

apopkabob New Member

The one benefit of beach camping is the sea breeze Florida never gets up to the 100's

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

14. ryanjodi1

ryanjodi1 New Member

We left early last year Labor Day due to heat and huge storm. That was in a tent so now we have PUP with A/C :)

15. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

We live in South Texas. Its 100ºF for only 11 1/2 months a year.

This explains the 18,000 BTU air conditioner and reflective barrier over the canvas.

16. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

We also live in South Texas.............. to cancel because of the heat here would mean not camping 90% of the year. So we haven't ever canceled due to heat. We have a 15k BTU AC, Reflectix and Popup Gizmos, and we have even used all three before in January, February, ect. when temps cool down to only 85-90* lol

We only cancel if my wife or I get called into work for some reason, or one of the kids has a game come up.

The thing is though that we are used to the heat, if you're not then there's nothing wrong with cancelling. Why go if you wil be miserable ?

17. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Sounds like a mixed bag of results, I suppose it all depends on circumstances. I have camped in the dreaded triple digit heat indexes many times, and each time it becomes less enjoyable. I suppose if it were just my DH and me, we might have braved it out. But I was to be chef cook and bottle washer to my 4 grandsons and 2 nephews. Yes, of them could and would have helped but I would still need to call the shots and supervise, of course. With all meals being done outside, along with clean up, circumstances screamed at me to cancel. I feel so bad for backing out on all the kids, but I also know that the heat would have made me a big witch, and that would not be fair to them. I also know that when Labor Day weekend arrives, I will be feeling down because I am not camping, but I will be nice and comfy, in my own centrally air conditioned home. LOL!

18. nimrod65

nimrod65 Member

Last year Fourth of July we put my mom in respite care at a local nursing home and went camping in 100 plus temp for 5 nights in our pup. I knew it would be my only vacation since we had my mom, so we went anyway. We baked. But we got thru it.

19. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

Spending all my life in Texas and Louisiana I still hate to go camping in the 100 plus heat, especially with mosquitoes. If I am camping and it's over 90 out, there is a pool or swimming hole close by.

20. DragNfly

DragNfly New Member

Our favorite campground has a huge, shaded ceement pond. Perfect for relaxing on hot days.