Ever get that gut feeling you need to look at somthing?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Taxus812, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

Ever since I got this HTT a month ago. I for some reason didn't trust the tires. I looked at them and I didn't see any cracks, the treads were at 8-9/32 so I thought well they are 6 years old perhaps that is it. I will replace them in the spring. We went on three trips (about 600 miles in total) before the end of our season.

Now I'm putting the camper in it's winter spot and getting ready for hibernation. I went around and filled the tires to 50psi. I pulled the cover off the spare to check tire pressure and inspect its condition. What did I find? A bubble in the sidewall. That got me thinking I should inspect all of the MUCH closer.

So I took a MUCH closer look at all 4 of tires on the HTT and wouldn't you know it I found another bubble forming. It was small and I must not have seen it when I first bought it. That was a nasty blowout just waiting to happen.

I guess I will be putting on 4 new ones in the spring.

Attached Files:

Rempop, J Starsky and Hilldweller like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

What is the year of manufacture? It should be imprinted on the tire.

Susan Premo likes this.
  3. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

The stamp says 2414 (only mark I could find) and I am guessing that is 2014 which would make sense since that was the actual year of manufacture for the camper. Westlake has a Standard prorated warrantee of 6 years from manufacture or 5 years form date of sale if later than that.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
  4. BikeNFish

2414 = Manufactured 24th week (June 9-15) of 2014. They are due to be replaced because they are at the end of their life. Some places say trailer tires should be replace after 5-6 years, some say 7.

If my trailer tires were seven years old, I wouldn't hesitate to replace them even if there was nothing that appears to be wrong with them.

Sjm9911 and Taxus812 like this.
  5. BikeNFish

If you are putting the trailer into storage, you may as well wait until spring to replace them.

6. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

Yeah,
    I am going to look around. No time crunch for sure. I may step up to a D rating from a C while Im at it.
    I did the math on if I had a flat and the unloaded weight would not exceed the weight rating for C tires (assuming the remaining 3 are ok) but Fully loaded It would exceed that rating.

I also have the challenge to find somewhere that will balance and mount them. called the local RV dealer and they don't do it. Go figure they sell trailer tire not do they mount the blasted things :) )

wusthof and BikeNFish like this.
  7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

what is the tire size and type. 50 psi would be low for a bias tire, may be ok for a radial.

8. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

They are radial st205/75R14/C. 50psi is the correct pressure.

9. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I would move up to the D load range if I were you. There is nothing wrong with moving to a higher load range, other than they cost a bit more.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Dont forget that the tounge weight isnt on the tires, so subtract that from your total weight to see if you need to go up a load size. One load size up is generally ok, too much would not be good.

DiamondGirl and Taxus812 like this.
  11. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I always move up a load range on trailer tires, and they get replaced at 5 years no matter what the condition. Glad you caught it now vs. on the road.

Steveo4090, DiamondGirl and Taxus812 like this.
  12. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

Thanks,
    For this 2015 flagstaff shamrock 233s (HTT) with two axles, I calculated it: The empty weight is 4497lbs with a tongue weight of 458lbs so I calculated 1000lbs per tire.

loaded to the max I have a GVWR of 6600 and guessing 600 tongue weight. So 1500lbs per tire.

if I blew out a tire I was thinking the load would be distributed to the remaining three for the most part so empty 1300lbs on each remaining tire (still within the rating) and loaded 2000lbs. (over the rating of 1760* I believe is the spec). I honestly never expect to hit 2000lbs of cargo but who knows.

I suspect this plays out the similarly with low tire pressure in one tire
    If I got it wrong I can save a few bucks ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  13. Sjm9911

Yea , we all pack too much stuff. Lol.

wusthof likes this.
  14. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

When I replaced tires on our TT I bought tires and wheels at Discount Tire. I had them mounted and balanced before hand, then I took the trailer in and they swapped everything. I was in and out in less than an hour.

I did the same thing at Walmart for tires on the Pup. But I changed the tires myself at the campground.

15. Taxus812

Taxus812 Member

Good to know. The shops I called around here wont touch camper\trailer tires for some reason. I either have to buy them with rims and mounted or hope I can find a shop to mount them at least. I also called a few RV dealers and they said they don't do tires and recommended a local tire shop but they don't answer their phone or email.

Just looking online The difference in cost is $87 per tire plus mounting if (I can find someone to do it) for just tires or $187 with rims mounted , nitrogen filled and shipped (etrailer.com).
    Just seems strange to me.

16. Sjm9911

They dont like to do them because they come in squished. This means they have to block out the tires and set it in the sun and wait for them to heat up before they attempt to put the tire on. Its a hastle for them. My guy does it but now i block out the tire at home for a few days. Its easier to order with rims.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Skip the nitrogen filled if you have to pay extra for it.

Steveo4090 and kcsa75 like this.
  18. mandinga

mandinga Active Member

Fyi the load is will not be evenly distributed if you have a blow out. The side with two tires will remain unaffected, and the remaining tire on the side if the blow out will carry double the weight. But it would be a very short period of time while you pull over. I would also suspect you will have more than 600lbs tongue weight fully loaded.

19. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Ordered tires from eTrailer a few years ago, and one had a bubble in the sidewall from the beginning. I shrugged it off... I'm not a "tire guy" and thought it might just be a cosmetic issue. They wouldn't ship me a tire with such an obvious problem, would they?

Had it for a year and it was fine. Then the next year we were driving out to Yellowstone... about 8 hours into the trip, and BOOM. Failed right at the bubble.

Story learned. Bubbles bad lol.

J Starsky likes this.
  20. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

How many other bubble tires have you seen running? Should have been a red flag. Will be now.