Ever get that gut feeling you need to look at somthing?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Taxus812, Oct 18, 2021.

1. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Sorry I bow to your tire excellence. Like I said, I was surprised they would ship a tire with such an obvious defect... to the point that I doubted if it was a defect. It was a very small bubble, about a quarter inch wide by half inch maybe.

2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Yeah, ok. I retired from a tire factory. eTrailer has nothing to do with tire manufacturing, just passing on vendor products. Those tires are probably never mounted, inflated, weight loaded, checked for run out, sidewall deflation, balance, etc. like most passenger cars tires are. There may be some sampling done, but I doubt it.

3. tfischer

The tire came pre-mounted (and inflated) on a rim. With the bubble pretty obvious (albeit small)

4. WrkrBee

It was mounted and thrown on the pallet with the rest of the wheels they were mounting tires on. Still went through no checks prior to shipping. Would have thought the bubble would have grown over a short amount of time. Once air gets past the "inner tube" product, it will find its way between other layers and delaminate the tire, usually inflating the sidewall in the weakened area.

5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

I can only remember seeing a sidewall bubble once, on our 1969 Chevy Impala 327V8, back in the mid-late 70s'

JiffyPopJunkie likes this.
  6. tfischer

Like I said... no changes in a year of camping with it, including some longer trips. It only failed on a very hot day (upper 90s) and long-haul trip (MN to Montana in a day)

7. NEODon

NEODon Tired but not retired

You might not want to wait too long to purchase those tires. There are now so many things that are not readily available that used to be. I recently replaced my TT tires. I was told that I was fortunate to be able to find them, that if I needed a tire size that was being used in new builds it might have been a different story. With so many new units being built, the bulk of those tires were going to the manufacturers. My TT is old enough that the tire size was not in demand. .

As far as finding someone to mount & balance your tires, Tire Rack has "9,000+ independent Recommended Installers". If Tire Rack has the tire you need, you could check to see if there is an installer nearby willing to do the mount & balance.

8. Cyndi F

Cyndi F New Member

We did ours last year at discount tire - I see Pup's, RV's and trailers in there all the time - for us it was cheaper and quick.

Rempop and Susan Premo like this.
  9. 05starcraft

05starcraft New Member

are you sure the spot in the first pic is a bubble. looks the the seam from manufacturing to me

10. Ron Mar

Ron Mar New Member

I had mine done at America's Tire. I bought the tires from them, had them mount and balance them, and install them. Dropped the pup outside their garage and went home. Came back awhile later and they were done.

11. WrkrBee

OK, I'll admit I finally looked at the pictures. I assumed something called a bubble would be an actually air filled feature. This is a bulge. This is a heavy joint on the side wall. On inexpensive tires, many products are complexed together and are laid on the form at one time. It makes for a heavy joint, if not closely controlled. I see a red dot on the defect, also. It may indicate the heavy side of the tire to be matched with the light side of the rim. The heavy joint on the sidewall of the tire will generate more heat since it is thicker. On a hot day, and a long trip, it failed at the hottest spot on the tire.