Ever had unexpected guests?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Steve B, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Steve B

Steve B New Member

On our first weekend out in our NTU camper, hoping for some needed decompression time as a couple, we got a call on Saturday AM from my FIL. He lives 30 miles from the SP where we were camped. He said he was going to stop by and introduce us to his new lady friend. A few minutes later he called again and had invited my BIL and family to come too. Who does that?

We made a quick run to get more chips and beer. They arrived at noon and left about 6. We love them and love to share camping but this was wholly unexpected. They brought no supplies. It was not the day we hoped for when we booked six months before.

Anyone else had unexpected guests show up at camp?

2. daveman

daveman Member

Yep!

My wife is from the Baltimore area.....last time we went down to Patapsco State Park, we let her know we'd set up & then be in town the next day for quality visit time....with 5 kids, it just worked out that this was the first & only night in years wife & I would be totally "kid free"

She was waiting at the park entrance the day we pulled in [;)]

3. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

Ahhhhh......the joys of family [LOL] . Yes, have had similar happen...though in my estimation worse. This was several years ago...we were boondocking in the Jemez Mts and I had invited my sister and her boyfriend to meet up with if she wanted to as the area we would be staying was plenty large (though we don't provide supplies). Anyway, it was about 50-50 if she was going to show. She was in a band at the time and they were doing a show that evening but thought they would be done in time to get up there.

Anyway....she did show up and so did her boyfriend at around 10:00PM ....followed by around 30 other people from the bar she was playing, that she had invited. Even if you're trying to be quiet, with 30 people you're going to have quite a raucaous...and they weren't trying to be quiet. Most stayed up to around 4AM partying around the campfire. As an early riser, I awoke at 6AM to start banging some pots and pans around while I got breakfast ready, which I'm sure was thoroughly enjoyable for them and their hangovers and 2 hours of sleep [LOL] .

To this day....10 years or so later, when she asks if she can join us on a camping trip....we still ask, "you and how many other people....for real how many people?" [LOL] It annoys her to no end and she tells me that she's 35 now, blah, blah, blah....she'll never live it down though and I don't think anyone else that was with us on that trip will ever forget it either.

4. CarNutCass

CarNutCass Put a little gravel in your travel

We've only had unexpected visitors a couple of times when camping....mostly because those who might like to visit live too far from where we usually camp. I don't mind the company but I do dislike it when the visitor's children want to run in and out of our camper. Seriously, my kids are out here playing, your kid should be too.

Grumpy old man, I know. [:)C]

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

No, we camp too far away from family and friends for anyone to just show up.

6. dupreet

dupreet New Member

[:D] Thats a great plan!

I try to 'get away'; my DW tends to invite friends and family along so we don't get bored????

OP - If you have folks inviting themselves along, DO NOT go out and buy beer and chips for them; they need to bring their own. If you want to be really mean, tell them you forgot your beer and chips and have them buy some for you too! [LOL]

Todd

7. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We keep bear spray in our camper.

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Put some fake vomit down when you hear them drive up ........ maybe they will change their minds about staying. [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

It never happened to me but I don't camp close to home.

10. 2318gman

2318gman New Member

My parents showed up one time a couple of years ago. We had intimated that we would be camping, however didn't really expect them. It was all good though. They don't camp anymore, and love to day trip and visit us while we're camping. We're always happy to feed them, and always bring some "emergency" supplies.

11. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I haven't had it happen, but a friend has a few times. He'll make the mistake of mentioning his plans to the wrong people, and they all show up ... at night ... without food or shelter.

I suggested he talk up the wrong campground in the future.

Some of you are much nicer than me. On their arrival, I'd say hi, and pointedly ask about their plans, making it clear that I had my plans. I wouldn't rule out spending time with the Pop-ins, but not at the expense of my plans, and I sure wouldn't encourage repeat behavior by feeding them. If raccoons raided your camp, you wouldn't put more food out for them the next night, right?

12. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

:) [:D] [;)]

[:D] [:D] [:D]

I love it!!

13. papachaz

papachaz New Member

this post, in it's entirety! i don't mention my plans to anyone i wouldn't want to show up. so if someone shows up unexpectedly, i for sure wouldn't feel like i had supply the party favors and food for them. we typically tell our kids when and where we're going, and they're more than welcome to come along. they also realize they'll be expected to pitch in for groceries.

but let one of them show up with several friends of theirs and expect to party all night around my campfire? i don't think so. of course my kids already know i'd have no problem with embarrassing them (or their friends), so they wouldn't do that anyway, [LOL] [LOL]

14. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I always figured urinating on the campfire would do the trick.

Classic Movie Line #34

15. GA Judy

GA Judy Active Member

We drove from GA to AR for a long weekend family reunion of sorts. My 1st cousin and her DH showed up as we were setting up and stayed and stayed. They have a lake house close by but came back at dinner time, bringing us food and drink. We really appreciated their generosity but wondered if they would ever leave that night! [:D] The rest of the weekend, we met with family at the little restaurant on the CG property near Tompkins Bend and none wanted to come over to our site except the same cousin. So much for reunions!

16. papachaz

papachaz New Member

[LOL] [LOL]

one of the absolute funniest movies all time

that's not what i meant by embarrassing them, but hey, i'll store that for future reference, you know, just in case

17. BajaPup

BajaPup New Member

I think "whipping it out" is the nuclear option.
    You certainly can't step back from that, but I'm pretty sure it'll end the evening.

18. chipperone1

chipperone1 Member

We have had unexpected guests many times BUT they are always welcome. It has never been a problem for us.

19. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Funny to find this thread.....this past weekend was our first outing with NTU pup. Family all knew we were going out and where. We found a county park an hour from home. First, DS #1 asked if we could take DGS so he and DIL could go to a wedding, sure. They then asked to camp-over with us, again--sure. Changed their minds too tired Friday, they'll drop DGS Sat am. Meanwhile DD, who lives in IL, is on her way "home" for same wedding, they stop by on their way to my house Friday night.

Sat am DGS, DS, DIL come by. They will come back around dinner time. Sitting by the campfire, trying to read up drives my folks!! [:O] [:O] They were out for a drive and decided to come see how we were!!

My only reaction was, "I don't get this much company at home!!!" [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

It was all good- DS, DIL brought me Vanilla Absolut [chilled] with Diet Coke and ice. [:)C] Happy Camper [:)C] [:)O]

20. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

We hide and don't tell anyone where we are going, but they always seem to find us... [LOL]