Ever lost your camping reservation?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by MyName, May 2, 2019.

1. MyName

MyName Active Member

I got a email a few weeks back and I lost my King Canyon reservation due to "Hazard Trees".
    Here is the alert. I received a full refund, but this would have been my first time there. Now my summer camping trip is shot and any of the good campground are all booked. I'm not even sure where to start looking this late in the year.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Thats not cool!

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Yeah, I'd be a little upset as well. But, at this point there isn't much you can do about it. Are there any other campgrounds in the area, maybe private? At least that way you could still visit the park.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Something similar happened to us this spring. We had reservations for Chaco NP for Easter, and about month before we got a notice they'd been canceled, due to construction (or repairs). I was able to find a state park in the region that still had open reservations, so it worked out for us.
    As far as we can figure out, they kept the campground open on a FCFS basis, and we were told it was full most days.
    While frustrating, hazard trees - also known as "widow makers" can be a big thing. Your vacation would have been a lot more ruined had one of them fallen on your site while you were in it. With the pine beetle kills and drought damage here int the SW, we've seen several campgrounds closed while they clear the dangerous trees. The campground we were in for Easter had several sites that had questionable trees, and I would certainly not have been happy camped in them.
    Depending on the length of time you have available, and how locked in you are for specific dates, you can search on reserveamerica.com for campgrounds by date and state/region. I think you can still do the same on recreation.gov, though I"m still learning their new "improved" website.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Sorry to hear that. I almost lost mine last summer when a hurricane blew through the area on the day I was supposed to arrive. Campground did close on my first day, but I called to verify they were open on the second day and lucked out. Drove out to the campground immediately after hanging up with them. 8 hour drive for me.
    Reserve America did refund me my entire stay but the rangers checked me in without a problem when I did show up and got my same site I reserved earlier. I was very lucky everything worked out. My backup plan was to stay at the KOA in the general area. Would have been far more expensive but I would still see the area and that was my ultimate goal.

MyName likes this.
  6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

We've lost two or three reservations because the campground was flooded. One of those, we were notified the morning we were going to leave home. There had been a big storm the day before and the lake level had risen several feet overnight.

We have reservations later this month for Memorial Day weekend at a lake that as of this morning is 10 feet above normal and more rain is on the way. And with the flooding of the Missouri and now Mississippi Rivers, the Corps of Engineers may have to hold that water back for a while.

7. LucythePUP

LucythePUP New Member

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@LucythePUP - I'm so glad that your friends are OK.
    If that happens when there aren't known issues, imagine how likely it may be if there are problems.

kcsa75, LucythePUP and Toedtoes like this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I had one get cancelled because the snow hadn't melted as early as they expected.

While it's upsetting, I try to understand that the campground is trying to keep me safe. I would rather get cancelled than wind up in a hospital bed.

I do have a nice list of campgrounds that I like. If one gets cancelled, I just pull those up and see if I can find an open spot. At worst, I'll driveway camp. :)

I did blow my clipper engine right before a big trip was planned. It was a once in a lifetime type of trip - I had to go to Bodie for work and got permission to camp up in the town for the two nights. I so wanted to go that I was going to rent a motorhome. I was stressed trying to put together all my gear days before. Then a big storm came through so we got cancelled anyway. Three months later, it all fell into place. I went in my own clipper, no trying to scramble gear together, weather was perfect.

In between the original date and the actual date of that trip, I planned a trip to a new campground. I got my clipper with the new engine back about 2 hours after I had planned to leave on the trip. I was rushing around trying to get everything done - fill water tank, load food, etc. And then get on the road as quickly as possible. The entire drive there was stressful. The directions had a 30 mile stretch from a town I knew to the campground. What I didn't know was that stretch was up and down and took 2 hours. When I finally arrived, I was tired and stressed. I ended up ripping the fuel intake line on a rock. Fortunately, I had two tanks with separate intakes so I was able to get home.

So now, I listen to the signs. If things aren't falling into place, I don't get upset, I just figure there is a reason for it. If the campground gets closed down, I figure I am better off elsewhere.

kitphantom likes this.
  10. NothingsChocking

NothingsChocking Active Member

I lost a reservation for a spring campout at Inks (a park that is increasingly harder to reserve your preferred site here in Texas). Due to flooding, the park remained closed for a while and then when it was opened back up, it was booked out to December for the section we wanted because the reservations were opened up before the park. I ended up having to book for this past spring and that was after Texas went live with site specific reservations; well, all pre-existing reservations were assigned a site upon going live and as luck would have it, we got a smaller site by the road with little shade (by where the road splits around a tree). I was familiar with the site because I have noticed its unappealing nature from visits prior. We were going to camp 8 people and that site would not do it so I just cancelled after they told me over the phone we could not be moved. I miss the days before the mass migrations out of California and other factors, as we could show up to Inks the Friday of, then get a site no problem... the last time we where able to book like that was in 2007. Same thing for day trips to Lost Maples in the fall and Enchanted rock on some weekends-- those parks are constantly being closed off to visitors due to crowding.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  11. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

In September 2006 I was camping with a group of international students on Happy Island in Algonquin Provincial Park (somewhat remote, to say the least), and a sudden storm swept in. Everything was perfectly calm, and in a second, it all went to pot. Trees were falling everywhere, and tents were blowing away. Some of the group tried hiding in their tents, and it took all of my willpower to keep them out of their tents. It blew over fairly quickly, but as that was also the morning we were leaving, it was a long ride home, because trees were down everywhere.

12. Nani2

Nani2 Active Member

Twice on the same trip.
    We booked a lakefront site at our favorite nearby campground for the weekend. We had flooding a couple months ago and they called early in the week suggesting we cancel or move to a higher elevation inland site. We chose to cancel.
    I was on their site a few days later and those lakefront showed open . We had the grandsons so I booked a secluded pull through site near the bathhouse and playground for Saturday night .
    We got there about noon and somebody had come in the night before and taken our site.
    They moved us to a site in the previously flooded area.
    What is the protocol when someone takes your reserved site? We were there just one night so we didn't do anything, but I'd be more upset if it was longer.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think that protocol depends on the individual campground and if it is a camphost or ranger.

I was at one campground and someone moved into the site next to me. It was about 2 pm. They had a massive 5er and went about unloading tons of stuff. About 3 hours later, the camphost came over and said something to them. Another person towing a trailer drove up. I heard the occupant of the site apologize to the driver and offer him "all the fish you want" to not insist on taking back his site. The driver (who had reserved the site) drove off to find an empty campsite.

I suspect if the ranger had been there, the driver would have insisted on the interloper moving out. I would have - it was obviously reserved and was a prime waterfront site. The legit guy ended up at a non-waterfront site. And in this campground there was a cost difference between those sites.

If the park screwed up and made the error, I would say first to arrive gets to keep the site. But if it's "theft" of a site by a camper (whether intentional or ignorance), they should be kicked out of it. I put a lot of effort into my site selections and I want the site I chose not some random site because some jerk decided he/she could just claim mine.

myride, neighbormike and kitphantom like this.
  14. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

Last year we had a 17 day long camping trip. We lost 4 nites 2 campsite included the one in the Yosemite because of wild fire. Fortunately, we got the Lake Tahoe Fallen Leaf campground replacement in the very last minute.

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yes, a bunch of us lost our resi's for the 2017 Canada Day Long weekend Ontario Summer Rally. There were about 10-12 people from the Portal here that were booked and paid for months in advance. That year was Canada's 150th Birthday, so when the call came through from the Ont Prov Park we were all supposed to be at, stating that due to the more than normal wet Spring and rainfall had flooded the park, we were all pretty bummed. The long weekend can be a tough one to get resi's for to begin with, but the 150th made it that much worse. The word came down the pipe from the park only about a week before the rally, so we had to do some scrambling to find another park. A private campground agreed to make some room for us, but a number of campers were unable to make the farther drive to the new spot. 5 of us showed up, and the campground squeezed us onto 3 sites beside each other. We were living in tight quarters, but we are all good friends on here and have camped numerous times together already, so all was good. The campground put on a fantastic fireworks display for Cananda Day, which we wouldn't have gotten at the Prov Park, so all worked out good in the long run. Ccptbo, Snow, Strawhouse, TandT, and us.

16. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We lost a reservation on our Ontario-BC trip last summer due to wildfires. My husband got the alert on the phone and got us into an open spot in a campground that was a bit further along our route and it turned out to be awesome so it all worked out in the end but there was definitely some scrambling.

17. MyName

MyName Active Member

I'm very flexible on my dates, but I take a week long trip and usually book 6 months in advance. I'm still looking for something. I'm sure I'll find a good new spot.

18. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

We almost lost a spot this winter. There was a lot of rain in the forecast for the weekend we were going so we canceled a few days before our trip. It started raining that Friday and by Saturday morning the park was evacuated because of flooding. We have never actually lost a spot though.

19. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

MyName likes this.
  20. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

We frequent a small state fishing and nature preserve that has a primitive campground and last year looked up to see many of the huge old oak trees were dead. We made a point of letting the park ranger know that it was not too safe. The next morning a large branch crashed through the picnic table on the neighboring site. We were so lucky it didn't crash on us. We went out for the first time on Easter weekend and I have to say that someone must have taken notes because every third tree in the park was gone. From that point on I look up every time before I pull into the site. Wow... when they say "hazard trees" they're not joking around.