Ever met a new girlfriend or SO while camping?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by campagain, Jul 11, 2017.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Apparently I'm a crazy party person! ;)

JPBar and thethird152 like this.
  2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Good job in finding a perfect Tarheel woman!

3. Strut

Strut Member

I've met several women while camping over the years. I dated the most recent for nearly 5 years. The rest turned out to be weekend or summer flings, but all were great fun while they lasted! In hindsight, almost every time it happened was during a big holiday weekend or large group gathering... when the crazy partiers tend to come out... and maybe I'd had plenty of liquid courage ;)

You never know where a friendly greeting and a smile will take you!

neighbormike and JBinNV like this.
  4. Redbird934

Redbird934 Member

I did have a friend who met his wife coming home from a guys camping trip.

He was in a car of guys and very typical for a Sunday night on the highway here they were stuck in traffic and beside them was a car of girls and they started yelling back and forth, then getting in each other's car and he got her number and year later married her.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. neighbormike

Just for the record, I camp because I love to camp! If I should ever meet someone sobeit.... I don't go camping to meet someone.

Halford likes this.
  6. Jo Chrisman

Jo Chrisman New Member

Same here! I'm doing what I love to do and if I happen to meet someone that loves the same thing then great.

Halford likes this.
  7. Rachel LeCureux

Rachel LeCureux New Member

What's a significant other? LOL

I'm recently divorced and my son and I camp alone, it seems to be a family or retiree thing. People look at me like I have three heads being a single woman camping alone with a little boy. I just wanted to give him the opportunity to see some things while he was young, and driving or flying and staying in hotels is very expensive!

NMroamer and Haybale like this.
  8. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

I usually camp to get away from them.

Quijibo likes this.
  9. kreeves

kreeves She and her two dogs

I am looking forward to being out next year. I just finished putting my new floor in and have so many more things to do before I will be ready to take it out. It would be nice to meet a nice man while out, but like many I will be camping because I like to.

10. Rachel LeCureux

I've given up on nice men. They're all either married, gay, or living with bigfoot and mermaids.

But no...I don't have man issues or anything, LOL.

11. kreeves

LOL You are funny

12. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

"Nice Guy" here. We were the ones you all wanted to "just be friends" with back in high school and college. Eventually we did find someone who could see past our nerdiness and are happily married ;)

-Tim

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  13. neighbormike

I, personally, see nothing wrong with cohabiting with mermaids... given the oxygen levels are conducive to such behavior....

Rachel LeCureux likes this.
  14. Rachel LeCureux

I never had any of those. Unfortunately I was the one everyone wanted to "just be friends" with.

15. StageLover

StageLover Member

Hmm, I think I can honestly say "all of the above". This won't give the OP any hope but, yes, I met the first love of my life camping in Cape Breton. I was 16 and we were on our second last day before heading back home (we lived in New Brunswick at the time), when a family from Richmond, VA rolled in. My dad and I went over and gave them a hand setting up and, before we went back to our site, the dad of that family said that his daughter and her cousin, both my age, were with them and would like to be able to hang out with other teens. I told him to send them to the cookhouse after dinner and look for the guy with the guitar. That evening, they showed up and I was smitten. The next day, our car threw a con rod driving the Cabot Trail and, instead of leaving the next day, we had to stay an extra week waiting for the car to be fixed. I was in heaven. They ended up leaving before we did and she and I corresponded by mail after. We were going to meet up again next summer camping. Sadly, at the end of the summer, we moved to Vancouver and, while I tried to write regularly, the impossibility of a 4000 mile separation to a 16 year old boy in the 1960s set in and we eventually lost contact.

So there is my "Yes, I have met a love while camping" but, since we were both teens, it doesn't help the OP.

Years later, now with a wife and kids of my own, we did some camping. But my wife hated it saying it was too much work, although I did all the driving, all the camp setup and all of the cooking. So we got rid of the popup and camping ceased. Eventually, the marriage also ceased. However, I did make sure that my sons an I were involved in Beavers, Cubs and Scouts so they could get some exposure to camping and now, as adults, both enjoy camping.

So, although camping was not the main reason for the marriage ending, it was probably one of the factors.

When the marriage was ending, I met Dar. As time went on and we got closer, we found we both love camping and bought a tent trailer. We are now in our second popup and got back a week ago from a 2 week trip to Alberta.

So, yes to finding someone who loves to camp and beginning camping with them.

My advice to the OP is similar to the advice I give to my newly single friends when they ask, where can they meet someone? My answer is, forget about the bar scene unless drinking is what you like to do and you are looking for another drinker. Instead, figure out what you really like to do and get involved with groups who do that. In the case of camping, go camping. But, if you are using camping to find someone, you have to look in the right places. If you go to places that appeal to older people, you will find old goats like me. If you have kids, camp at places that appeal to kids. Or camp at places that have a particular appeal to you. While camping, I have met a number of unattached women who, if I wasn't already with Dar and wholeheartedly committed to her, I would probably find a way to strike up a conversation or offer help with their setup or ??? They are out there, a couple have already posted in here.

Good luck
    Barry

neighbormike likes this.
  16. campagain

campagain Active Member

I spoke with 2 women at the campground last week, just to be friendly. Both had infants. My daughter says "Dad, if things work out with one of them, I'll help take care of the baby!" (she really wants me to meet someone new)

StageLover and tfischer like this.
  17. kreeves

Because of my mechanical background I have always been "one of the guys". I've just started back into the dating seen after my divorce. While working on my pop up the last guy I went out with said "Hey you will make someone a nice husband someday"... Talk about knocking the wind out of my sails. I'm a nice looking (So I'm told) independent woman that doesn't play the damsel in distress very well. I have things to get done and if I waited for help they wouldn't get done.. Sorry rant over...LOL

18. StageLover

StageLover Member

Not a very sensitive guy. You sound like my kind of woman. Dar's background includes all aspects of construction; she has done framing, drywall and electrical. That ended when she broke her back falling off a scaffold. She is quite handy with tools, although, occasionally, I chastise her for using the wrong tool. :p And I think she's pretty hot looking too! I really appreciate her abilities when setting up camp. My ex was just one more thing I had to deal with; Dar and I are a team when setting up and breaking camp.

Hang in there, the right guy will appreciate you for who you are, not for his idea of who you should be.

kreeves likes this.
  19. chambo

chambo Active Member

Me and my gay wife, Sasquatch, couldn't agree more.

JBinNV, tfischer and neighbormike like this.
  20. neighbormike

Now that right there is funny [:D]