Every stay super close to home?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by flash82, Jun 23, 2015.

1. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

All the time. A friend has a couple acres on a lake, just a few miles away. We camp there there on all major holidays and quite a few times on normal weekends. There's usually between 5 to 7 campers there, us being the only pup.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The closest we ever stayed to home is 1.5 hours away!

3. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

staying at cg 50 mins away, i can leave work (6a) take a nap and still go camping, doing it 4x this year

4. myitchyfeet

myitchyfeet New Member

The lake is 20mins away. Free camping, basic amenities. Sometimes it's just about getting away from these four walls :)

5. djturnz

djturnz Member

I feel like if you don't plan to leave the camp ground to sight see, what does it matter if you drive 20 minutes or 4 hours.

6. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

We usually camp pretty close to home, within 30 miles or so there are 4 state parts that are wonderful.

That being said, I do my grocery shopping over in Kentucky in Maysville because its cheaper than Ohio. Last fall we got bored and went for a drive through Big Bone Lick.

That is one of the worst looking campgrounds I've ever seen. The campsites were tiny and packed very close together with zero privacy between them. You might as well be camping in a parking lot with a few trees around.

If you want a nicer campground with more to do, come on over to Ohio and check out Shawnee or East Fork.

7. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We do almost all our camping at one of two campgrounds, one is 20 minutes away, the other 25 (different parts of the same lake). We will take one or two trips each year further out, but most are at our local lake. We get in lots of weekend trips without taking any time off, and we can still make church on Sunday mornings when camping. This works very well for us. We have never felt like we were not far enough away from home.

8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Years ago before our local lake was turned into a development, we would drag our old pop up out and set up and stay for a week or so, and I would go to work from there.....from the house it was about 5 miles as the crow flies, but a 45 minute trip or better on old logging roads.

Now the closest 2 are about 40 miles from the house, one is only 10 miles from the DW work, and saves her commuting time.

9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There is one state park near my house, but to me it is much too close for me to even feel I went somewhere. Not to mention I know I have full cell service which means my office would be calling me more often. Nope, the best vacation gets me further away preferably in the mountains or foothills. Cell service is a hit or miss. Now if I'm desprete to get out and away my stomping ground is 2 hours away.

10. Mamagoogins

Mamagoogins New Member

We have stayed at a campground that is two miles from our house. We wanted to use the pop up one more time last year but it was football season for my son. He had a home game that weekend so we stayed at a local campground nearby. It was late September and the campground was deserted. There were no crowds in the store or pool areas. We were the only people at mini golf. We had a great time!

11. R00

R00 Active Member

All the time.

Mt. Madonna county park
    Coyote Lake county park

New Brighton Beach state park, just over the Santa Cruz Mountains

Pinnacles doesn't count, it's at least an hour away...

As for return trips to the house, not often, but it does happen. Just this past weekend we had a site that I didn't realize had power. The mosquitoes were bad Friday night, so early Saturday morn I rolled out and hit the house to grab a couple of fans.

Took the opportunity to take a shower and use clean facilities too, since I was there :)

12. LaTuFu

LaTuFu New Member

The closest SPs to us are about an hour away. There are a couple of other places a little closer that are private CGs.

I prefer to stay within a 1-2 hour drive for short weekend trips. If we're going 4 days or more, then I don't mind the 3-6 hour trekking.

13. tlynnie

tlynnie New Member

We have a state park about 30 minutes away, 15 minutes from where my husband works. There's not a lot to do, but it's an easy weekend getaway, especially when my husband has to work a few hours on Saturday morning. We load up the night before, meet at the CG, and are set up and relaxing by 5pm Friday. It's also nice now that our oldest child has a job, so she can still enjoy part of the weekend with us.

14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually like to do a shake down close to home, in case there is a problem or we have forgotten something. and the closest place is a state park about 12 miles away, however the rest of times I would rather travel a bit and enjoy the trip.

15. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I have a strong psychological barrier against staying at a place that is only a short distance from home. In my mind it's not worth the bother of preparing, packing, unpacking and cleaning up to stay at a place that I could visit for a day trip. Essentially, I need to be at least 100 miles away from home or it's not camping for me. Also, I like to explore and I already know all of the places close to home. I rarely go to the same CG twice, no matter how much I like it, because there are so many new places to check out.

16. CamperMike

CamperMike Active Member

About the closest we'll camp is 35-40 miles from home. I don't ever find myself running home from there when camping. It's still a nice getaway and make quick 1-night early or late season camping possible.

17. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

I camp at large lake which is about 10 mins to the campground. Camp on weekends; do not have to take vacation days; can go after I get off work at 6pm and check out on Sunday is 3pm. Great get away without sacrificing travel time. Now I just need a friend with a boat but kayaks will suffice for now.

18. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

Yep, that's what my family needs too. [emoji1]

19. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

We frequent our local State Park (Fontainebleau State Park). It is only about 20-30 from home. We'll be there the 4th of July weekend, for example.

There are 4 other State Parks within an hour or so of home. Between these 4 we spend most of our camping. When you can usually only go on weekends, it helps to have the options close to home.
    • (Home CG) Fontainebleau State Park - Mandeville, LA
    • Tickfaw State Park - Springfield, LA
    • Bogue Chitto State Park - Franklinton, LA
    • Buccaneer State Park - Bay St. Louis, MS
    • Paul B. Johnson State Park - Hattiesburg, MS

In addition, there are other camping options close to home that we've either done are are considering.

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Most of our trips are on weekends, mostly 2 nights and a few 3 or 4 days. On the 2 day trips, we drive an hour or 2. On our first trip, when we first got the PUP, we purposely stayed close to home. It was a good thing, because we needed to run back home to pick up a few things.