Everyone needs a trip to the CAT scale...wow

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Renee Wymer, Aug 31, 2020.

1. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Absolutely NOT true. Although they may be unsprung weight your tires and rims each have their own “payload” capacity and with the wrong equipment can in fact be the weakest link in your payload rating, so yes they absolutely can and DO affect your payload rating. Now, this is likely more significant in trucks rather than cars, but it still matters.

Rusty2192 likes this.
  2. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

Um, I didn't say they don't affect payload capacity, I said the weight of your tires and rims don't count against your payload. You wouldn't subtract 100# from your truck's payload because your fancy new rims and tires weigh 100# more than the stockers (assuming same or higher load rating for new rims & tires).

Sean W likes this.
  3. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member Diamond Supporting Member

Thank you for the reminder to get a real world weight for your popup!

4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Again, not true. Payload is just the term for the difference between GVWR and the curb weight of the vehicle. Heavier wheels and tires means a higher curb weight and less payload. Sprung or not, it’s still weight that you have to move, control, and most importantly, stop. GVWR is the important number. Payload is just an easy reference.

5. jeepster04

jeepster04 Member

Went to the scales again on the way to the campground. Vehicle and camper were packed full but it was just me in the vehicle. Water tank and water heater were full, propane tank was full, single battery on the tongue. I do wish I could've packed the Jeep, weighed it, then hooked up the trailer and weighed it so I would know the tongue weight. Maybe I'll make the little setup with a board and use a scale, but I dont really care THAT much.

Steer Axle: 2160 lb
    Drive Axle: 3300 lb
    Trailer Axle: 2580 lb

Total 8040 lb

GVWR is 5600 lb so I'm good there but I had the rear axle overloaded by 150 lb. Not really concerned about that...

I did stop at the scale on the way home but it wanted $12 again instead of the $2.50 to reweigh, so I didnt weigh it. Thought I would see how much it weighed without any water in the tanks n such. I guess its $12 the first time, $2.50 to reweigh, then $12 if you go back again.

My Jeep is fairly short at 104" and it just barely worked on the scales.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2020
    Ductape likes this.
  6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

I think the reweigh price is good for 24 hours from the first weigh. Then you can reweigh as many times as you want in that period. I did it 3 times in a row when I went. 12/2.50/2.50.

7. stierheim

stierheim New Member

Because that is an axle manufacturer rating, it is not the GAWR on the VIN decal assigned by the vehicle/RV manufacturer. GAWR is measured at the tire imprints on the road, not the weight the axle is carrying exclusive of axle, tire, and wheel weight.

Sean W likes this.
  8. Sean W

Sean W Member

Understood. I guess I was trying to refer to the actual weight capacity of the trailer itself, thinking that he didn’t know the weight capacity of the trailer. Looking back at the original post, it was TV weight ratings that were in discussion, not the trailer’s. I think I got confused with another question/post where they didn’t know the rating of their trailer.

Much appreciate the clarification. I know that I can count on the folks on here for sound advice.

9. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Water weighs 8lbs per gallon.. So multiply that by the size (in gallons) of your water tank, then again for your water heater (probably 6 gal.) and add the water tank weight and the heater weight together to get you total water weight..

10. jeepster04

jeepster04 Member

Very true but maybe I should've clarified. The water heater adds tongue weight since its right in the front of the camper and the rear water tank is almost right over the rear axle but is mostly behind it, so it lowers tongue weight when full. I was wanting to see how it affected the weight on the vehicle.

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

y'all making this too complex - don't get your max weight so close to the allowable that you are arguing over wheels and rims

xxxapache, Sjm9911, JimmyM and 2 others like this.
  12. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

This thread got me thinking, and on our way back out from our last trip of the year, I stopped in at the scrap metal yard close to our house. Drove over the weigh scale with the camper and TV loaded to the gills. The weigh scale operator came out and asked me if I was going to scrap the trailer! Said no, and she printed out a weight ticket for me free of charge for the Subaru and the trailer combined and separated.

If anyone is interested:
    2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i-4040 lbs
    2008 Starcraft 2106-1820 lbs

Note that the vehicle weight included a full tank of gas and all our camping gear, and me(160 lbs).
    Note that the trailer weight included some camping gear, in addition since I bought the trailer I've added a beefier axle, upgraded from 13" to 14" wheels, and electric brakes

Good to know I'm under the GVWR(4585 lbs), GCWR(7285 lbs), and towing weight(2000 lbs with 10% on the hitch).

Hope others follow the lead of the OP.

13. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Active Member

It is easier to weigh if you can find a scale with one long platform or one with a single short platform close to your house. . Back in the day even the state weigh stations only had a single long platform. Pull the steering axle on they printed that on the scale ticket then pull the drive axle on they weight that then the trailer. Pay the man and go. Simple math gives you what each axle weighs. You would need to dolly down the tongue jack to get that weight but not a major un hook. It doesn't have to be a public scale there are tons of places that weigh trucks in and out. I don't recommend a metal scrap because of possible tire damage.

14. tiltshift

tiltshift Member

I was a little concerned bout tire damage at the scrap yard, but not concerned too much bout flouting scrapyard etiquette . Country scrapyard on a Wednesday afternoon doesn’t get busy. No line, no hurry, and much easier for me to just unhook and weigh separately. Only took 2 minutes.