Everyone should complain everyday until it is fixed

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by vulcan, May 11, 2013.

1. vulcan

vulcan Member

I live in Ohio and our reservation fee is $8.25. That's crazy. I am sure other states do the same. We should all flood our states email everyday until they hear us.
    How about you

2. JAH

JAH New Member

This is another reason I like Army Corps of Engineers CG's - no reservation fee. The KS state parks have one too, but not quite $8.25 - Missouri is about $8.00

3. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I just paid a 10.00 reservation fee here in WI for a county CG. I think the reservation fee should be based on a percentage of the cost of the site rental.

I feel a 5% fee would be fair. This would cover the cost of the credit card processing and provide some extra for site maintenance/park use

4. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Utah is about 8 bucks, but I'm a pay as you go type person. I have always felt that people who use the parks or amenities in the park pay for the park rather than raise income taxes on everyone to pay for the parks. Every time they start screaming for new taxes for the parks my answer has always been to raise the rates. Same goes for the National Parks.

5. jdizzle

jdizzle New Member

Here in Colorado we pay a $10 reservation fee, and if its a state park it's another $10 a day for a state park pass or $70 a year.

6. efehser

efehser New Member

Flipping thru my paperwork, MI $8, Champagne Co. IL, $0. I'm actually shocked at the second one.

7. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

I camped last weekend at Ft. Custer state park in Mi. You can reserve online, but being early we knew we didn't need to. This park offers only 'generic' reservations, not site specific. On top of that, it's a camp and pay set up, can't even register until you're on a site. Not a bad idea, but I'd be pissed to spend the extra $8 only to have a site 'somewhere' not booked until you arrive.

I did pay the $8 to reserve in Gaylord in June, but we have specific plans and needed the assurance we'd have a site. In March the place was 60% reserved, so didn't want to wing it.

That being said, Northern Indiana is beautiful, and we may start spending our money there too.

8. vulcan

vulcan Member

8.25 to register and 28 for a site is a bit to high as I see it. There's only one paid employee there 8 hrs. a day, volunteer's do the cleaning up and cleaning the shower area.

9. efehser

efehser New Member

One thing of note- many sp systems use a national reservation system, a la ticketmaster. The fees probably originate thru them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

10. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Oh for sure that's it. But I think some (like Indiana ) have realized if they pay a percentage of the bookings to Reserve America, vs. a Fee to us, that Reserve America has some incentive to make the process easy, and promote it. IE: Help with marketing, thereby increasing overall revenue.
    I think Michigan should follow suit.

11. smoreking

smoreking Member

TN just started a reservation system for all parks this year. Before this year there were a few sites available for reservation. One park that took reservations charged 10.00 non-refundable for the service. First reservation through new program only cost 3.00 for the fee, but now they charge sales tax. Never had to pay tax at the park before this new system. However it only cost 20.00 per night in TN so I should stop complaining after seeing that others pay much more.

12. efehser

efehser New Member

I think I remember seeing something on the forum that MI is going that way, starting in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

13. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

The NYS campgrounds use Reserve America for reservations. The fee is $9. If you want to change anything about the reservation, it's also $9. If you have to cancel a reservation it's $9. Now, the NYS campgrounds also raised their prices this year. During the week, it's $21 but on Thursday through Saturday its either $23 or $25 depending on your site. This only includes electricity. I don't find the campsite fees excessive but the reservation fees from Reserve America are a bit high. In my opinion only.

14. rawlus

rawlus New Member

I think there's a price for convenience. The process for reserving before online reservations was not optimal, time consuming, difficult, either mailing or phoning, dialing and dialing and so on.

Online Rez is VERY convenient, but it has overhead, servers, it people, etc. it's not free just because its virtual. It's a business.

In most states, you can make your Rez in person and save the online fees. I don't see too many people taking advantage of that though because its extremely inconvenient.

I'm a bit stumped on people's expectations and how that relates to cost. There's $5 cups of coffee out there, $300 phones, but a nights stay at a wonderful park and people are bent if it costs more than $30 it seems. How to you assess value for your recreation and enjoyment? If the experience is not worth the cost that's one thing, but I think we all know that even if you are to spend $50 or $100 even, for a night out under the stars with the family, enjoying the outdoors, around a fire, unplugged and taking it all in, isn't that worth it?

15. jhowe327

jhowe327 New Member

Well out here in spend more money then we make california they use reserve america with an $8 reservation fee. But developed campsites start at $35 per night. And they do not even bother to claim that the money is going back into the park systems, it is all swept back into the general fund.
    Some of the developed Forestry camps are $21 per night here, but there are still free campsites besides boondocking sites in the forest in the area near me, and even the developed sites will be more attractive when I am eligible for the interagency senior pass, currently $10 one time fee and 50% off of campground fees for lifetime.

16. rawlus

rawlus New Member

I guess the question is, at what cost per night would you actually give up camping, sell your rig, find another hobby, etc.?

There will always be "deals" out there, the free boondock site or whatever, but I'm not sure it's fair to compare the cheapest thing you've been to to every other campsite that exists at any price and call all of them poor deals because they're ore than that free site. It's like someone giving you a tank of gas and then you claim I'm never buying gas again because I got it for free the last time and that's all it's worth.

I've paid nothing for camping a night and I've paid more than $100. I got my money's worth at each and all those in between. My recreation has a cost, I accept that.

I don't play golf because a day walking 18 isn't worth the cost to me (clubs, fees, carts, travel, etc). I make different decisions about camping.

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

The total cost is paid somehow. Itemized, rolled in, or paid by someone else (all tax payers). I don't really care how they do it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

18. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Boondock.

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Boondocking and primitive national forest CGs, which range from $5-15. Once you get old you get a Senior Access Pass and pay half of that.

20. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

bet most will be surprised to learn that here, in Ontario at the Provincial Parks (as well as many Conservation Areas) for a hydro site we are looking at close to $45.00 per night (think after the rate increase it is $48.50 per night) ... And there is a $10 ressie fee, and a $10 change fee (I actually think these went up too) ...