Everyone should complain everyday until it is fixed

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by vulcan, May 11, 2013.

1. Camper Jo

Camper Jo Member

I occasionally go in without reservations if I know ahead of time there are open sites. They still charged me the $9 fee. If you cancel and don't give advance notice you pay the $9 PLUS one night camping fee. My brother passed away unexpectedly the day before I was to leave on a camping trip. The total of the cancelation fees was almost half of what the reservation was. I had a friend on the site next to the one I had. He told me someone else took the site. So the campground got double fee for one night.

2. jlynn58

jlynn58 Active Member

All the Ohio State parks I have camped at (45 Years of camping)have a lot more 1 worker all day and they clean the restrooms volunteers justkeep it stock.
    The last time we went Dillon S/P 5 Man and Woman mowing and trimming.
    1 or2 Ranger on duty all the time.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Ain't broke.

4. rjniles

rjniles Member

'

I agree with this 100 %. Even with the fees it is the best deal in the world. I use state parks and national park campground exclusively, and the fees are small enough to pay for the convince and availability. Try staying at a KOA or any other commercial campground and see what you will pay. (BTW, I would give up camping if KOA was my only choice.)

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

ABSOLUTELY!!!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We look at any reservation fees (this year, some seem to have been rolled into the camping fees, so are not listed separately) as a convenience fee for being able to assure ourselves of a campsite. That's better for our personalities; in many of the places we camp we'd rather spend $8 or $10 to not have to search for a campsite at the end of 6-8 hours of driving. Some day, when DH is retired and we can do more leisurely trips, we'll probably revert to FCFS in most places, but that's a long way in the future.
    We also find a place for KOAs or other private campgrounds. Not, they are not our choice for an end destination, but they aren't all hideous, either; they make for good base to from in some cases or handy places to overnight on longer trips.

7. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

Most of the USFS sites are $9 reservation fee. Basically, if you reserve the CG through reserveamerica, it's $10 (e.g., state parks). If you reserve it through regreation.gov, then it's $9.

State parks daily passes are generally $7 per day, or $70 for an annual fee. Some parks have additional fees. Many CGs run by counties also have entrance fees, such as Horsetooth Reservoir run by Larimer County.

I believe the reservation fees are kept by the online service providers, who are not non-profit. Not sure why the variation from place to place. It's been discussed here before, but I've never read a definitive answer and haven't bothered to research it myself.

8. marines0811

marines0811 New Member

Mn state parks $7

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

75% of the time we don't make reservations. We just show up. The 25% of the time we make reservations are at parks that fill-up all the time, or holiday weeks. But when we don't make reservation we have a back-up CG in our plan. we have not used the back-up CG in over 20 years. I like camping without reservations much better, it does not keep us on a schedule.

Ohio reservations fee is ~9, but ohio will let you change your reservation for free, one time, up to a week before the start of you reservation. Most systems will charge you if you want to bump out your reservations or want to change your spot.

10. skiball

skiball New Member

I have never paid a fee here in Pa. I just made reservations at a SP for June. No fee, just the $29 CG fee. I guess we are lucky in this.

11. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

IMHO, it's all relative-- MA Parks are $8-$12 for residents, and slightly more where there is electric, and $10-$14 for non residents. You're paying it one way or another, be it through taxes, higher nightly costs, etc.

12. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

I'm in agreement w f5moab:
    a $5 fee or $10 fee is well worth supporting the activity we enjoy doing, rather than going into a General fund that get allocated to what bureaucrats or politicians say is the most urgent requirement. This isw an administrative fee to support a very specific function of something I enjoy doing and want to continue doing even if 80% of the voters do not (which is a good thing)!

When CA was going to close 75+ SP because of lack of funds, this impacted all of us campers.
    THEN, they found $50M that had been socked away!!!
    $50M they didn't discover until they started following the $ trail!!!

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/07/21/4646682/hidden-parks-funds-spark-outrage.html

And this was specific money that went to Park & Recreation, so getting to where a dept. can stash away $50M of tax revenue, is to big!!

Pay as you go, helps a little from squirreling away and worst is wasting or stealing the funds. [2C]

13. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

NC state parks are $3/night res. fee for Reserve America. You pay it whether reserving, or just driving in. Total rate is $25/night for W/E sites. I find that reasonable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I don't mind paying the fee since I get peace of mind knowing that I have the spot I want. I guess I would rather pay a fee then have more parks closures or less amenities. Many of the first come first serve spots I have checked out look to small for my PUP and TV, so I like knowing what I'm getting. And it is still cheaper to camp than to get a hotel room somewhere.

15. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

IL SP charges $5 fee on the reserve America website per stay. I much prefer this reserve system over what they had before. You had to deal at the local level if I remember correctly. If we are just staying locally we usually don't make reservations unless it is a big weekend. But if it is to far don't want to chance it. Always prefer army corps sites when possible. Usually cheaper, no fee, and the parks are usually nicer (well than IL at least)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yes, those first reservations system of calling the CG and waiting until they finished with the person in the office, or not getting someone to answer the phone sucked.