Everything else so expensive

Dave2514g

Sep 2, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Why buy new when mostly used will do? I have seen a few good deals in my mid MN market, but there are plenty of bad deals, too.

Waiting for the right deal for you is the single piece of good advice I hope you keep with you.
This right here is advice to heed for all major purchases. Getting something new can be exciting, but if you're willing to wait for the right deal you can usually find something nearly new, for thousands less. To me, that's even more exciting.

modeler

Apr 6, 2021
I vote DYI in a cargo trailer too if your handy. Though brand new, cargo trailers aren’t cheap either, at least around here. Every now and then I check in on the Cheap RV Living..........eds are minimal, I’d be hard pressed to see how the proposed DYI ideas wouldn’t be a lower cost option.

Good luck with your search.
I am reasonable handy, as I fixed a few thing in my popup already, but I doubt diy will save money, would rather use the energy and $ to fix for various issue for my trailer.

I want minimal not because I really want to be minimal but rather I think those gadget can't justify their own existence. Like black tank and grey tank stuff, all I need was mid-night pee, but just think how much trouble and tools needed in the drainage system. And the winterization became necessary only when those water pipe involved. All I need is outdoor sink and bucket.

I want maintenance free.

Mark CASTELLANI

Platinum Supporting Member
Aug 23, 2019
New York State, Erie County
Popup is the cheapest cost choice, Everything else so expensive. But I am looking for upgrade to a more travel-oriented solution - every time my popup take me 1 hour to fully setup, and last time it wouldn't crank up, LOL.

I want something easy to tow, can sleep 2-4, and require little time to setup; in my priority list:
Easy tow-> Sleep 2/4-> easy to use / no setup.

When I do my research I realize everything now is hitting $20k price mark and in Canada everything getting to $30k mark new, except very few tear drop "bed-trailer" still ask for close to $10k new, LOL.

And all the smallest trailer seems ask for money because they come equipped with gadget, which add cost and weight. Radio/speaker/tv/AC/Micro/indoor kitchen are so useless.

Any simple cheap barebone travel trailer still there?
I need 4 beds space -> indoor toilet -> out door bbq/stove, and that's it.
I prefer have no fridge, coz I can easily use portable car fridge, no AC needed in Canada camping, and not even water system needed I can easily fit a bucket+pump system beside stove outdoor, that's it.
@modeler. how about a Motorcycle Camper?... that's what we ended up with and, other than the "inside toilet", it ticks off everything on your list.

We ended up with the 2011 Clipper Express (less than $1,000.00, I might add)

242052165_6090151587693348_4376601339272957479_n.jpg

DW & DD can fit on one bunk easily and we've even had a full size cot between the bunks, so, in a crunch, it could sleep 5.

it tows like it's not even there

Granted, new ones are more than a grand, but the cheapest "pre-built" option.

8 Sleek Motorcycle Campers for a Comfie Road Trip

Happy Trails!

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
I want maintenance free.
There are no camper trailers both hard sided or soft that is maintenance free. Even the most expensive campers out there are slapped together quickly with cheap parts. Brand new campers even pre Covid spend more time in for warrenty work than out camping.
Honestly a cargo trailer with an inflatable mattress and a portable potty may be the cheapest and maintenance free you can find. Although you would still have to maintain wheels and bearing. The motorcycle camper may be the best way to go if you don’t have the vehicle to haul a cargo trailer. Your options are few unless you luck out and find a 1980’s camper that wasn’t beat to he**. I think that was the last year they built things to last.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Intech flyer was on my ooh and ahh list.
I ended up finding a used livinlite quicksilver, which is pretty light weight. Parts of me love it's size (6.0 is pretty small) but other times I wish I wish I got the 8.0...

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Cargo trailer, four cots, shower curtain to hide a portable toilet. Done. Doesn't even seem like much DIY involved. No plumbing, no electric. Simple. Buy the trailer on Monday and a couple of evenings after work you'll be camping by the weekend. About as maintenance free as possible.

Patrick w

Aug 13, 2021
Cargo trailer, four cots, shower curtain to hide a portable toilet. Done. Doesn't even seem like much DIY involved. No plumbing, no electric. Simple. Buy the trailer on Monday and a couple of evenings after work you'll be camping by the weekend. About as maintenance free as possible.
Realistically yes it's douable (I have a cargo trailer) but you want one with a side entry door, and preferable an "A" frame style instead of a pure box style.
By the time your building it out it will be about 2500lbs, unless you find an aluminum one.

Part of the appeal for pop ups is the expandability and aerodynamic gains when towing.

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Realistically yes it's douable (I have a cargo trailer) but you want one with a side entry door, and preferable an "A" frame style instead of a pure box style.
By the time your building it out it will be about 2500lbs, unless you find an aluminum one.

Part of the appeal for pop ups is the expandability and aerodynamic gains when towing.
I agree but the OP doesn't want to pop up anymore so that option is out.

What building out is there? The OP wants maintenance free. No gray or black tanks, so no plumbing. No need for AC or anything electric. Just four beds and a toilet. No walls. No permanent beds. Load the gear and go.