Exchange so easy

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by rabird, Jul 21, 2017.

1. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Where or where did this ole propane container come from, re-qualified "14E".

Its 7 mile round trip - out of the way today - for $3.99/gal + tax, pay by the gallon
    Neighborhood grocery store 1 mile round trip for $4.05/gal + tax, exchange

Exchange yielded a 3-17 made container with 15 lb of propane, just 3 lb shy of what I get in this heat via refill/OPD. $2.69/gal @ tractor supply, 20 mile rt in the future. Hassle but I'm near there from time to time.

2. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Ok!

kcsa75 likes this.
  3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I usually get mine re-filled at the feed store, If it needs re-tested I swap it at the Dollar General, I do get more LP at the Fed Store as the ones we swap have quite a bit less LP.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I got one filled yesterday for $2.19 a gallon. Took less than 10 minutes from fill up to paying the cashier.

5. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Luckily you life in a free country and you have the choice to do what you want, mostly... lol

I used to exchange, but now get them filled. I'll exchange when the tank expires AND the old lady at the gas station retires (she doesn't look at all). And she recently filled my original tank for my 1973 MW Pup with a tank stamped 08/1972, and it has a fuel gauge!!!

6. Boatnman

Boatnman Well-Known Member

Depending on usage, 3 to 5 pounds less gas could mean 2 or 3 days less camping...

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

stickin thinkin
    I don't go home when the ice melts, supplies and battery charge available on the road.

8. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I have no reference as to how much a "gallon" of propane is. Around here it's sold by the refill or the exchange. They're about the same price, except the exchange gives you 75% of the gas.

9. Boatnman

Tank exchanges are certainly a good option for many people, but exchange users need to understand the limitations. When boondocking for a week at 9,000 feet where temperatures can drop to the low 40s at night (even during the summer) and cooking takes longer and more fuel, having 75% of a tank of propane might be a problem.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Next time ask the price when you get a refill. LP gas prices fluctuate just like gasoline. IMAG0636.jpg

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

First off, that's a good price at 2.19 a gallon! It is 2.90 a gallon here, and has been that same exact price for three years. Then again, Alaska is always a bit different.

There's a service here in Anchorage called "The Propane Guys". They do tank exchange, but they do 100% fills (well, they put as much as a tank can hold in). They also COME TO YOUR HOUSE to do this. You set up an account, determine where you will leave the empty tanks at your house, then you send them a text saying you have an empty. They will swing by and drop off a full tank and take your empty. They also set you up with one extra tank in your size so you never are out in the BBQ or PUP. Man, that sounded SWEET to me, and I was about to sign up.

The down side is, it costs $25 per 20# tank. That is TWICE what it costs me to fill a tank per gallon. The convenience is awesome, but I have a hard time paying someone to basically run the tank back and forth to Fred Meyer for $13. You also have to pay for all of your full tanks up front, so for me with 2 tanks on the PUP, one on the BBQ, and the spare 20# tank, that's $100 just to get in the door. That's why I didn't sign up.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Here in the suburbs, there is only one place that I know of that will refill a tank and they charge the same as an exchange. They're also kind of jerks so I have no idea if they actually fill the tank completely full.

For no more propane than we use (I use more on the grill at home than on the Pup) and no more than it costs, exchanging is just easier. The neighborhood grocery store has the best price in the area.

JPBar likes this.
  13. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

You see it's not the same price though... an exchange is 33% higher, since you're getting 1/4 less gas*.

And if they don't fill the tank full that would be a criminal offense that you could file with your state's department of commerce, so I highly doubt that's the case.

-Tim

*Here's the math: Lets make it easy and say a 20# tank fill is $20. That's $1 a pound.

That same tank exchange still costs $20 but gives you 15# of gas (some actually only give you 13 which is even worse). That's $1.33 a pound. 33% higher.

If that's worth it to you for the convenience, that's cool. I just hate the way a lot of people don't realize this upcharge.

14. tfischer

You guys are posting really cheap prices. Around here a fill (or an exchange) is around $20.

15. rabird

rabird Howdy!

With most homes hooked to nat gas, propane was not readily available till recently.
    mo readily available when I leave town for camping, so get what I need camping, never been a problem. In CO I've got a refill at a gasoline station, that ain't happening locally! This last exchange was too easy @ 7am.

I even leave town with less than a full tank of gas cuz its cheaper in the sticks. and I go farther than 1/2 tank will take me cuz I can buy more when I need to.

16. Boatnman

We get our tanks refilled at the local ACE Hardware...sort of a local farm store too, but it's really a small store. By "local", I mean about 1/4 mile away. I need propane, they sell it, I have no idea what the price is, but it's always under $20.

17. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Wow, those are some crazy LP prices. A full tank refill is well under $20 for me. I always need something from Ace, and I have enough spare tanks, I just get them refilled during my normal trips.