Exchanging socket for combo USB/socket

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Natureangel, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Saw this on Amazon TOPGREENER TU2154A 4 Amp High Speed Dual USB Charger Outlet 15A TR Receptacle | Screwless Wall Plates, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAZIU5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_gxNEybHWGJECZ and I think I'd like to try it. Has anyone else done this? Can someone with out electrical experience safely install?
    I would be putting it on the fold up sink that already has a socket.

Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

It should be a direct replacement for the existing outlet.
    Make a careful note of which wire goes where - which is hot and which neutral - and switch them over carefully.

... being sure to have disconnected the supply to the pup, first.

As always, though, if you're not confident, find an electrician to do it for you.

3. Natureangel

Not confident but want to learn! I did do the electric to a 12 v water pump last year and no problems so this would be an interesting 2nd electrical project!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

This is 120 volts AC. You need to have some basic understanding. Power disconnected. Do you know which way to wrap the wire around the screw and which color goes on which screw?

5. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

Did you just want the USB port for charging your phone or is it for something else ?

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Black wire to the gold screw, white wire to the silver screw, bare (or green) wire to the green screw.

Loop the wire around the screw clockwise and close the loop with needle nose pliers. Use the biggest screwdriver that fits the slot of the screw and tighten it as hard as you can.

7. Natureangel

I know electric off Tom! I was hoping to follow the wiring of the old socket to put on the new.

Thanks Steve, that makes sense clockwise in order to keep wire strands together! Also I would hope the instructions would be clear as to what color to what screw, thanks for giving me this info.

Jumpoff, I will be charging phone, IPAD, light and blue ray speaker. I have an extension cord with USB in it but this would be nicer.

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

This will most likely be single strand wire, a little harder to work with than the multi-strand. A good pair of needle nose pliers will be helpful.

9. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Just checking :) I could have told you how but I wanted you to self evaluate what you know. It's an easy job. Shut off the power.

10. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

That's a great idea... more and more things have that USB connection. I think I'm gonna copy cat you.

11. lucky13don

lucky13don Active Member

saw this on the fb page, just gotta wait til i get a order up for amazon. and thank you for the great idea.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm totally doing this. One on each end.

Great idea!

13. blownfuse

blownfuse New Member

To give you guys some information, the receptacles in my Coachmen 108ST were of the mobile home variety.
    The receptacle does not have a separate box. We changed one in ours and added one with the USB charger.
    Had to enlarge the hole where the receptacle mounts and use an old work type box to mount USB receptacle.

BTW, I am an electrical contractor and know what I'm doing. If you don't have any experience doing any work with any type of house wiring, you would be better off paying an electrician to do it for you.

1Step likes this.
  14. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

I installed this same thing in my pup this past summer. I love it. It was easy to install and charged my phone and tablets with no problem.

Attached Files:

15. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

If you replace an RV/mobile home receptacle with a residential or commercial receptacle you must also install a box. All residential/commercial receptacles MUST be in a box but your RV receptacle does not.

16. cwion

cwion New Member

Why is that

17. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

This is a nice option if you are always on sites with electric. Perhaps more useful than a 120 ac outlet are 12v accessory ports. That way if you are boondocking and just running off your battery you could charge.

18. pej

pej Member

I agree Jimbow. Rather than spend money on USB outlets that are dead when I have no power, I installed USB that are connected to a 12v "circuit" on my converter. This way they work on a powered campsite or when without AC power. Also, for those non-electricians, 12v doesn't hurt as long as you don't lick it!

19. dlaudens

dlaudens Member

20. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Just a heads up.

There are a few "USB Charging Standards"

The important part is how many Watts the charger provides, and how many the phone accepts. Oversimplifying, Watts = Volts * Amps

USB which is ~1A@5V (1 Amp at 5 Volts) (5 Watts)
    USB BC (Battery Charging) which is up to 5A@5V. This is typically what the 2.1 Chargers fall under. (5A over the traditional USB cable is a "problem") (5V*2.1A=10.5 watts
    USB Type C which is 3A at 5V. (5V*3A=15 Watts) (This is a new standard from 2016ish)
    USB Type C Power Delivery (Not sure what the Tradename will end up) is Variable Voltage, Variable Amps, maxing out at 100Watts. (This is what the MacBookPro is using as charger)
    You only get the high power USB Type C stuff when it's a Type C connector, to a Type C cable, to a Type C port, (No Adapters)

There is a Proprietary standard called Quickcharge developed by Qualcomm, which some company's use. They provide up to 20Volts with a variable Amps. It's capped at 18W.

Google is "Strongly Recommending" that future devices support the USB C charging standard. There is some talk about them "Requiring it"
    Apple is doing it's own thing with Lightening, but alot of arguments have been made that the Iphone 8 will have a USB C connector.

So what's the point of this long post?

While USB has been vaguely similar for the last 7 years, 2017 will most likely begin the transition to USB-C on a grand scale as the two major phone/tablet "developers" are settling on the same standard.

That said, I put a 2.4Amp USB port into my camper last August, since any transition is going to take awhile, and there will be adapter cables for a long long while, and I usually charge my phone overnight, so 8-12 hours should be enought to charge most anything.

1Step likes this.