Expedition Modification - TV Transport

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by Econ, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Econ

Econ Active Member

What do you do on cloudy nights in the middle of winter for entertainment? You can only read so much. How about a little TV?

The clerk at Costco said that modern TV's can not be laid flat as it will damage the screen. TV's are now shipped from the factory upright.

You can no longer get a TV smaller than 40" at a lot of retailers. The Costco clerk said there was not enough money in them.

This is a 32" Samsung. It is rated at 65 watts with 27 watts typical. If my math is correct and jump in if it isn't, this TV will cost me 27 watts/120 volts=.225 amps at 120VAC. It will take 2.25 amps DC to make .225 amps AC. Add 10% for the inverter penalty or about 2.475 amps DC per hour.

upload_2019-11-21_14-9-5.jpeg

This is a 3/8" scrap piece of Baltic Birch Plywood that was edge banded with Cherry. It was finished with 10 coats of Tung Oil. Holes were drilled to fit the "hang on the wall" mount. The edges were built up with Cherry to increase the edge thickness.

We took our dinette out. The table top fit in a slot in the benches. The plywood slides into the slot. The rug goes under the tv legs to absorb vibration.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I wrap my TT TV in a blanket and lay it flat all the time. I towed about 4k miles with it laying flat this year alone.

shuang2, kitphantom and 1380ken like this.
  3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Don't base your life on advice from the Costco clerk.

theseus and xxxapache like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Man you guys are rough! Lol.

5. Econ

Econ Active Member

He probably knows more about TVs than advise on an internet portal. You may wish to consult google.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I've heard the claim about not being able to find TV's below 40". Perhaps Alaska is different in this respect, but I can find little 19" sets everywhere. It looks like the 40" is just the right size though, so that works.

I opted for a 32" because that's what I had in there before, but I got one that runs on 12V directly, so no loss on the inverter just to run the TV any more.

shuang2 likes this.
  7. Lost in Space

Lost in Space Active Member

I have a 19" RCA that works on either 12V or 110V. Perfect for in my Aliner, and the power draw is minimal so I can watch a couple hours on a rainy night boondocking and not worry on drawing the battery down very much. It goes back in the original box which I modified so the feet stay on it, the styrofoam protects it, and it lays flat on the bed while towing.

8. _WW_

_WW_ Member

So...what do you watch? Broadcast TV? DVDs? You don't just power up a TV and get content.

9. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

There is the possibility of the screen distorting or cracking if stored or transported flat, but it's more for the large TVs. Personally I bought a TV designed to be used in an RV that is AC/DC and skipped the inverter. We have a 17", but they are available in many sizes. BTW the TV very seldom even get plugged up, but it's nice for the boys on a stormy day.

10. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

I use a 21” LED TV with a built in DVD player for RV’s. We use a power inverter to watch TV without having the generator on when boondocking. The power inverter can be used to recharge cellphones & etc. by utilizing battery power. DH installed a computer monitor mount for the TV. We also use an Apple Lightning digital AV adapter to connect to the HDMI. I can stream iTunes movies/shows from my iPhone.

This gives us options when sheltering inside from monsoons.