Experience renting out pop-up? Pros & Cons welcome

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by SBradley, May 12, 2017.

1. SBradley

SBradley Member

I'm thinking of purchasing a second pop-up; '08 Fleetwood Sedona with A/C. I think I can get it for $2,500.

First reason: It's smaller than mine, and I would be more comfortable travelling further distances with a smaller unit, but would a small unit be too cramped and uncomfortable? I have an upcoming trip planned to Myrtle Beach with 4 adults, plus a small dog for 9 nights.
    upload_2017-5-12_10-35-22.png

Second reason: My mom is 80 and would be more comfortable with A/C.

I thought I could justify the purchase if I use it for my upcoming trip to Myrtle Beach and then flip it for $3,000, or keep it for occasional personal use and mostly rent it out.

My gut at this point is to take my '98 Mesa, and just keep looking for a slightly smaller unit with A/C when I can find one. They disappear fast.
    I appreciate your feedback!

2. GreatBigAbyss

GreatBigAbyss Active Member

Why wouldn't you just install A/C in your Mesa?

3. SBradley

SBradley Member

Hmmmm, I do love this camper. I hadn't thought of that.
    It has an ABS roof that sags in the middle, so I'm afraid to compromise it more.
    Is it worth the investment and risk?

I just bought the Mesa, my first camper, at the end of last year and always figured it might be a starter camper while I'm learning what I like/don't like. Ultimately, I do want something a little smaller, a little easier to tow and with brakes. I bought this one after looking all summer because it is solid, in great shape and a great price. I knew I couldn't go wrong with it and that I could sell it for what I paid for it.

4. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

If it is already sagging, I think I wouldn't risk it. You might be able to find a freestanding A/C unit though. That would help especially if you use gizmos.

5. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Or sell the Mesa and keep the Sedona....

7. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I wouldn't rent out popup.. unless you do the set up and set down yourself... Inexperienced campers WILL damage the popups by setting up and down in wrong way.

8. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

No way, no how, not a chance in.... Would I consider renting out my pup, my HTT or my 5er. Nobody will take care of it like you will and you are the one stuck fixing it. Not worth the risk or hassle.

As for 4 adults sleeping in it, that's a pretty small rig for 4 adults. A similar rig was small for me and 2 kids. I would try to find something with at least 2 queen beds, which will probably be a 10 foot box.

Orchid, BelchFire and Bowman3d like this.
  9. SBradley

SBradley Member

I like the first unit - I've wanted one for my upstairs room anyway and this one heats also, and my upstairs can get chilly in the winter.
    So far, the consensus is, don't maintain a second unit to rent. I think that is solid advice.

Thanks for confirming. It's hard to know unless you've actually done it. I was trying to figure out where to store everything we would need for a proper beach vacation: umbrella, screened tent, crab nets...

NothingsChocking likes this.
  10. RockyRoo

It's really tough with a small pup like that to be honest. Traveling is OK because you can pile it all on the floor but once you get there it has to have a place. I always towed mine with Suburbans so I kept it mostly in the back of the truck. My second pup had a front storage trunk and I would never do another one without. That said it equals a 12 foot box and I am not sure what your tow vehicle is but I am guessing from other comments that it is probably pretty small. I would probably see how much I could fit in the back of your TV and go from there.

11. SBradley

SBradley Member

I would LOVE a front storage box! My TV can tow 3,500# max, so I don't want to exceed 3k loaded. My main problems with the Mesa, I think, is the box measures 12'10", and it doesn't tow well. It's bouncy, I think because of weighting/tongue weight. It doesn't have brakes. Plus I have a small city lot and it takes up a lot of space and will not fit in my garage - I can deal with that though. My wish list is a front storage box, A/C and sleeps 6 adults comfortably. It would be nice list is a potty, shower and hot water/water pump, and sleeps 8. All on a tight budget!

12. SBradley

SBradley Member

Ok - good to hear! One reason I bought a pop up is because I couldn't cram people and tent camping gear in my car. By the time I had the car packed, just so, I was over it and didn't want to go anymore! It's mostly me and my family, all girls, who don't know how to pack light. By the time I invested in a rack system, I thought I may as well buy a camper. :)

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

9 days and 4 people in a small PUP at MB? Sounds exhausting

SBradley likes this.
  14. RockyRoo

You just entered triple bunk HTT territory my friend, gonna need to start shopping for a new TV. ;)

15. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

That layout will at most sleep 3 adults comfortably. Two on the front bunk plus 1 on the back. The dinette is too short for adults. If you want to have a chance at fitting more than 3 adults in an 8' pup you'll need to find one like this layout. The Coleman Taos uses it, as does my Dutchmen 802. You give up floor space and ease of access to the rear bunk with this layout, but you gain a full length dinette capable of sleeping adults.

Most newer pups, Taos included, have a larger queen front bunk with a smaller twin rear bunk. Mine has equal sized 48" full size bunks at both front and rear, which again is a trade-off. I could theoretically sleep 6 adults in mine. Living peacefully in that same space would be a different matter.

Attached Files:

16. SBradley

SBradley Member

Based on everyone's advice, I passed on the Sedona. I actually feel relieved! And thinking through having a second PUP to rent out, this could lead to a disaster. What if I rented it out back to back and something broke in between?

HA! I looked at a 1999 17' Bantam today - GVWR 2,795, asking price $3,800. I loved the setup, but it was a little scarey. Mildew on the canvas, stink bugs, cracked tires, ripped awning, and it could have been cleaner. It smelled decent, but in the end I thought it might not have been taken care of very well and I would be buying problems. If you cared at all, wouldn't you clean it before selling it? Or maybe he did and the bugs are that bad they came back? And he didn't want to demonstrate the bunk ends because he "had a buzz". Which he did. At noon.

At least my mom is short enough and sleeps curled up that the dinette works for her.

17. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

That sounds a little scary [EEK]!
    I think I'd run from a sale like that too!

18. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My father in law says more money can be made selling a used vehicle or camper with soap and water than anything else you could do...

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    SBradley, Orchid and Natureangel like this.
  19. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Actually, it's nearly 30 years old. However, that is fairly irrelevant if it was a camper she was happy with and planned to keep. Old Coleman campers are built very solid, which is why they are still so common.

They still make the roof braces, which literally go up with two screws on the inside of the camper. A complete non-issue to install them.

You CAN have all of these things, but not if you go smaller. We have everything on the list, except ours is listed to sleep 7, which I disagree with. It will sleep six comfortably. Everything else on your list we have for a dry weight of 2131 lbs.

Coleman Utah and Seapine both have nice, roomy floorplans. Just look for ones with brakes. You can tow either with your current TV, assuming all those people won't be riding with you to Myrtle Beach.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    SBradley likes this.
  20. SBradley

SBradley Member

Words of wisdom! I see you have a '98 Coleman also - nice!!