Experiences with businesses my first month

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by icepounder, Sep 7, 2014.

1. icepounder

icepounder New Member

I'm new to this site as well as my camper. Over the past month I've gained some experience with online retailers as well as the manufacturer and dealers. I thought maybe my experiences may help some other newbies.
    I'll start with a Rockwood dealer I dealt with. I e-mailed requesting a tongue harness and bed support pole. They needed the VIN #. After 4 days with no reply I called. They stated they are still looking into it. I called a week later and "we're looking into it". I gave up and made my own pole and ordered a harness from an online retailer.
    On the other hand I needed some parts and had a few questions so I e-mailed Forest River .. the parent company of Rockwood. I was amazed. I received a phone call an hour later. The gentlemen answered all my questions and transferred me to parts. The lady looked up what I needed and took my order. Great CS.
    I placed an order with e-trailer. They had good prices, good shipping speed and I received what I ordered. I ordered through Camping World and they had good prices, fast shipping and I received what I ordered. I placed an order through trailer parts superstore and again good prices, good shipping and I received what I ordered.
    The only problem I had, and this just my experience, was with an outfit AdventureRV. I needed a converter so I contacted WFCO to make sure I had the right model and color code .. WF-8725-P which is brown. I placed the order through AdventureRV. When I received the box it had a black unit which is WF-8725-PB. I tried calling but they state go to online chat. After finally filing a complaint I find it's closed 5 minutes later and they state I can return it, we only have black, those numbers mean nothing and it's my fault. So I'd be out original shipping, shipping and insurance back plus they state a 20% restocking fee for their mistake. I went to BBB of East Tennessee which basically did nothing even after I proved it wasn't my fault. This outfit even called me and I thought it was to work it out. They called me petty. According to them "black and brown are close and it's only a camper". They called me a liar about contacting the manufacturer before hand until I provided an e-mail to BBB. They were so arrogant they said the BBB can't do anything to us. All I can say is I got burned but never again. I learned my lesson.

Overall it's been a pleasant experience fixing up the camper, most outfits I've dealt with have been helpful and this site has been awesome. I hope this helps others. :)

2. rsdata

rsdata Member

I have been ordering from online retailers for a few years now. My experience doing that has been nearly 100% good. The biggest problem is sometimes the picture of the item and the item is not exactly the same, but that is not very often. Etrailer.com is a great site. Lots of information, and lots of reviews to help you decide what your best option is. I have been dealing with amazon.com now for about 2 years. I frequently go to that site when I see something that interests me, and then read the reviews of actual users that will give me a heads up if there might be a problem with the prospective purchase. I always start reading the 1 and 2 star reviews for the worst problems.

I am now finding great free shipping or free Ship to Store deals at walmart.com. You can find things online that you will never see in the stores.

My buying experience with internet RV retailers is not so good. All the sales people were a little pushy, and when they found I was looking for a unit under $20K, they seemed bothered when I asked questions. I finally made a deal with a brick and morter outfit in Indy and had a good purchase experience with them, as they equalled the online price that I had been quoted and actually had a unit is stock that I wanted. I have not had any after purchase issues to deal with so I can't speak to that.

I am glad to hear about Forest River being good to deal with as that is my brand also. [​IMG]

3. icepounder

icepounder New Member

rsdata I was pleasantly surprised at the Forest River CS. I'm sorry I can't remember the gentlemens name who called me but he was patient, knowledgeable and answered all my questions.
    The lady he transferred me to in parts I believe was Cathy (?). She again was knowledgeable, helpful and up front about the shipping time. She informed me this is a busy time as people are fixing things on campers after summer use. She said I was looking at 1 1/2 to 2 weeks before it would ship.
    Again all my experiences thus far, including PUP, have been good with the exception of AdventureRV. Hopefully this saves another member from a bad experience. [:D]

4. DCL_CT

DCL_CT Member

Just my [2C] as well. e-trailer has been great - ordered the brake controller, wiring harness, misc. accessories, tires, and the bunk light/fan combo units. Helpful and knowledgeable customer service.

On the other hand, prior to picking up out NTU PUP through a private sale, we visited a local dealer more or less to look at a number of different PUPs in one area so my DW could see what options suited us. The salesman was pretty annoyed at my budget since most of their units were in the $7k range and up. I fully understand that they have to keep the lights on and pay their employees and such, but the whole thing of "going through the unit top to bottom" doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. A PUP was just brought in on trade and the salesman brought me over to see it. It was just brought in that day, so still folded up - and had the awning ratchet-strapped to the roof. I looked at the channel for the awning and with the "fin" still in the channel it was clear that the threads had worn out and this became detached from the awning. I pointed this out to the salesman who replied "oh it's supposed to be that way. That's to divert the rain." Seriously? I know I haven't been in the PUP market for long, but don't try to feed me some BS line like that thinking I fell off the turnip truck yesterday. Although I've had to go back to the dealer for a couple of last-minute items, I am totally turned off by the typical salesman schmooze. [:(!]

5. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Thanks for letting us know about AdventureRV...I've had good service also from etrailer, Amazon, eBay, and even Craigslist! We bought our camper from CL and numerous other items (mostly computer related) over many years! [;)]

6. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Well-Known Member

Wow. We've purchased items from AdventureRV two different times and have had great experiences: good prices, item as described, and fast shipping. No problems at all. Sorry that you had such a negative experience.

7. icepounder

icepounder New Member

When I checked reviews for AdventureRV they were all over the place. Some were good and others horrible. I thought I would give the benefit of the doubt .. big mistake. The thing that got me was they call my house and I thought they were going to be upstanding and try to work it out. Instead nothing but insults. He went on about they are a large outfit and so on. He got really mad when I explained when I researched them they have 4 employees and would you like to know the owners name ? His attitude got even worse .. I had to hang up on the man. I'm glad you had good results though.
    I think they were so upset is because I actually contacted the manufacturer (WFCO) prior to ensure I had the correct number for the item and color .. which they had wrong. You can even check yourself by searching WF-8725-P for brown and WF-8725-PB for black. According to them the WF-8725-P is just an item # and there is no color code. :shocked:

8. icepounder

icepounder New Member

I forgot to add it seems kind of ridiculous for an rv place (AdventureRV) to make that statement : "black and brown are close and it's only a camper" especially when it's their livelihood.

Again I'm happy you had positive results. [:D]