Experiences with sportsman 1000i generator

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Mdtim21219, Aug 1, 2021.

1. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

I recently bought this generator, Sportsman 1000i generator, To recharge batteries and possibly used to assist Heater overnight. I was wondering if anyone had good or bad experiences with this generator while dry camping or boondocking. Was going to buy two new deep cycle to hedge my bets to be able to run heater off batteries in cooler weather in middle of fall on cooler night in the Maryland mountains. Thank you in advance

2. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

I don't know anything about the reliability of that particular generator. But a 1000 watts should keep your batteries charged just fine. Run the heater off the batteries at night and charge the batteries in the morning.

3. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If it’s the same green Sportsman brand as is sold around here by the discount hardware and feed & seed stores, they’re pretty popular.

Good luck with yours.

4. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

Would it be more better to recharge the batteries through the popup converter or a trickle charger connected directly to battery(s)?

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Neither.
    Get a dedicated 20 or 30 amp smart charger. A "trickle" charger is just that-it only provides an amp or two. You want as many amps as you can get, at as high a voltage you can get (14.2-14.8). You don't mention what your camper is, or the year, so only guessing here, but my '10 Niagara's converter only puts out 13.4 volts. Not enough to do a decent job of re-charging your battery.
    I did a test a couple of weeks ago. Plugging the trailer into the generator vs plugging a smart charger into the generator then connecting the charger to the battery. The charger connected to the battery provided double the amperage at a higher voltage than the converter. This equals faster and more complete charging, which equals shorter generator run times.

theseus and SteveP like this.
  6. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

That's food for thought! When you connected directly to the battery, did you disconnect the battery from the camper first?

7. McFlyfi

No, not necessary. Connecting the battery charger directly to the battery it acts in the same manner as my solar panel, and runs through my battery monitor as well.
    Full disclosure:
    I hate generators. I am fully invested in solar for my camping. Last October, my refrigerator's burner went out on the first night, and switched over to battery power. Woke up to less than 30% battery SOC in the morning. Panic, as nighttime lows were in the upper 20's low 30's. This location was high desert, so "catching up" was likely. My site got a solid 8 hours of sun each day, 10 to 6. By the end of the week, I was at 100% on my last night.
    My buddy suggested a generator. I said NO! Keeping a gas generator "maintained" was my problem. The thing just wouldn't get used, and like many a lawn mower, 4 wheeler, and dirtbike, the carb would eventually gum up, and be useless, right at the time I needed it most.
    Then I found it- Dual fuel generators. They can run on propane. So I bought 2- a Baja 900w propane generator strictly for the trailer, and a Champion Dual Fuel 2500w for back up at the house for the notorious weakness of the California power grid. I've already had to use it once for a power outage. It kept my fridge and internet/computers running for 6 hours. I am going to have to do it again tomorrow as we have an 8 hour planned outage. So my relationship with generators has gone from hate to love/hate. :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  8. Mdtim21219

Mdtim21219 New Member

What is brand and model of the charger you use?

9. McFlyfi