Explain my panel and help choose an extension cord

Discussion in 'Wiring' started by Fishduck, May 31, 2020.

1. Fishduck

Fishduck New Member

Just purchased my first PUP thats new to me. Can someone help me figure out this electrical panel? On the left are 2 breakers (15amp and 20 amp). Does this mean I have 30 amp service?

My shoreline is a standard style plug like in 15amp (like in your house). I want to get an extension cord for it. What gauge will I need, 10? 12? Or should I get an RV extension cord with the other style end?

Any help is appreciated. Photo of my panel:
    https://imgur.com/a/JTGu72f

Attached Files:

2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you don't have an air conditioner the 15 amp should be all you need. But I don't understand why they would have put in the 20 amp breaker with only a 15 amp service. Of course the bigger your extension cord the better but a 12 gauge should be good for up to 50 feet. You may want to get a 30 to 15 amp adapter in case you get a site with a damaged or no 20 amp outlet.

Fairly simple, 110 breakers on the left. The fifteen probably handles most of the outlets in the pup and provides feed to the converter, which outputs 12 volt DC. The 20 amp breaker should power a single 20 amp outlet used to plug in the air conditioner, that outlet may be hidden in one of the bench seats. Because you only have 15 amp service you should turn the 20 off and not use that outlet.

The top 4 fuses on the right are used to protect your 12 volt appliances. If you have have a manual for the pup it may tell you what each of the fuses are for. The bottom fuse should be your reverse polarity protection fuse for the battery. If you hook the battery up wrong it will immediately blow to protect the converter. This fuse also protects the charge line in case of a short. There should also be a same sized fuse, or sometimes a breaker, at the positive pole of the battery.

3. Fishduck

Fishduck New Member

Thanks. The seller gave me one of those adapters. No AC in this unit. Furnace, 3 way fridge, water pump, and 3 plugs. Yes, interesting on the 20 amp breaker being there. As for DC, I'm not sure of the correct fuses. I reached out to Foresst River and they while they were very nice to deal with, they couldn't provide answers as wiring wasn't documented then like it is in modern trailers he said.

So If I pick up a 25'-50' 12/3 cord and a few spare fuses for the DC, I should be good to go.

4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Yeah that should be all you need.

5. Kobi1Kenobi

Kobi1Kenobi New Member

The 15 and 20 amp breakers do not add up to give you a 30 amp service. If the power cord end looks like a standard outlet in your house, then the service size is either 15 amp or 20 amp. If two of the prongs are angled toward the center of the power cord plug, then it’s probably a 30 amp service. I agree with SteveP. Buy the largest gauge wire extension cord that fits your power cord, ie 12 gauge for either a 15 or 20 amp service, 10 gauge extension cord for a 30 amp service. Can you post a picture of your power cord end? That would help.

Raycfe likes this.
  6. Fishduck

Fishduck New Member

I can't get a photo now, but I've attached a pic of what it looks like. Its a 15-amp 3 prong plug where the hot and neutral are oriented the same way.

Attached Files:

7. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

My best guess would be the 15 is for the fridge, the 7.5 for the furnace, and the 5 for the lights, water pump and LP leak detector. Based on the WFCO manual "Maximum of 25 Adc fuse for DC circuits 1 through 4" but I would personally limit it to 15, you might have slightly smaller wires in the pup. You're probably good with what's there now unless you do some mods. You only have 12 amps output from the converter anyway.

Raycfe likes this.
  8. Matt Benoit

Matt Benoit Well-Known Member

Yup that's just a standard 15a house plug. A quality 12g extension cord will be perfect. I suspect the 20A breaker is because forest river used the same panel in other AC ready models. Is your 20A breaker wired to an outlet? If so, just replace the breaker with another 15A one, that way you don't stand a chance of pulling too much current through the extension cord.

9. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

One breaker should be the incoming service - this would be the largest value

All other breakers would be for loads, including one for the converter, and a separate one for receptacles

Easy enough to verify, less than 10 minutes. You need to be sure.

10. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

2005 wasn't modern? LOL

Somewhere inside you will find a funny looking receptacle. That is where your 20 Amp is wired to if it was AC ready from the factory.

You might consider buying a new deep cycle battery. Without needing to run an AC you have the freedom to go anywhere. You can run your pumps, lights, etc on a deep cycle for days or longer. Toss in about a $200 solar charger and you could go months.

MyExpectoPatronum likes this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Odds are, they wired it so they could easily upgrade it to 30amps and install an AC if desired by the original buyer.