extension cord

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Camp ground voltage will likely be low when lots of folks are running their a/c. You won't even know you are operating your a/c at low voltage cuz some one on a forum said you are good to go cuz you are using a 30A plug, what a crock! Let's not even consider as temps rise all the RV a/c are using more power dropping the voltage more and more.

The OP may be gone so lets show pics of our 1954 home with 7 or 9 20A breakers
no 240v, 60A service.
View attachment 77402
Lol, thats new, my house has scre in fuses. Most are 30 amp. They didn't seperate the runs back then.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
I won't even get into my house wiring, other then to say, I have 1 15amp circuit powering a mix of 35 switches, lights and plugs.. 3 of my 4 outside plugs sit on this circuit, both garages, 3 season room and the wood storage shed.. its about 28 items over what building code allows.. Yes , going to add a pony box in the main garage and split all these into 5 other circuits plus add a 30amp run for the trailer.. the price of service wire is expensive and need about 100ft to run from main box to where the pony box will go..

Anthony Hitchings

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Mar 2, 2019
Oakland, California
re: What size extension cord do I need to plug up my popup at home?

a simpler answer might have been - use any cord, and turn on all your PUP devices. Feel the temperature of the cord and the fittings each end. IF not nothing is hot, and if the devices run OK, you are likely OK. (notwithstanding comments about low voltage hurting AC units).

I m not saying that my alternative answer is good, but its not terrible either.

I make this comment because often the answers to electrical questions get complicated and confusing to a first timer, and thus wind up being of no help at all.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
A simpler answer might have been - use any cord, and turn on all your PUP devices. Feel the temperature of the cord and the fittings each end. IF not nothing is hot, and if the devices run OK, you are likely OK. (notwithstanding comments about low voltage hurting AC units).

I'm not saying that my alternative answer is good, but its not terrible either.
I can see someone using a 18 gauge zip cord and burning up the converter and AC.

Dana Swanson

Jul 12, 2021
I too have a 1952 house with same wiring. So i used the reg orange extension cord and gave now notice the plug and recital are both burted so I will be getting some one to run a new wire with a new 30 amp breaker in the garage as a safety to my house and grandson in camper.

Ronal Owens

Jun 27, 2021
For 15 amps, a 14 gauge extension, a 12 gauge extension for 20 amps, a 10 gauge extension for 30 amps, an 8 gauge extension for 40 amps, and a 6 gauge extension for 50 feet 50 amp extension cable RV, use a 14 gauge extension. Consider the length of the cable, as it has an impact on the load and output power.

SteveP

Super Active Member
May 21, 2015
25' 12/3 extension cord or a 30A RV ext cord.
Don't use an old cord or one with discolored connector ends. If amperage is an issue it will simply trip the breaker in the house when you try to start the AC but will probably run "Fan Only." If it starts make sure it is set to "Max Cool" so that the compressor won't cycle.

If the compressor tries to start before the house breaker trips it is due to voltage drop, don't try it again.

jeepster04

Nov 23, 2010
I use a 25' 12/2 extension cord. Our homes have a 20 amp circuit in the garage, never had an issue.

Never understood why a garage (or outdoor oulet) would have a 15 amp circuit, but it happens for some reason....

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Because its , 1 it's cheaper to run and 2 that was standard years ago. They didnt have anything that was 20 amps to run.

tfischer

A bad day camping beats a good day at the office
I think the standard drop cord is 15 amp, I bought a 25' 20 amp which I use along with a 3-slot RV adaptor, works fine including with the aircon running.

Not sure there's a "standard". Some are 16 gauge which shouldn't even be used for 15 amp. 14 gauge is generally good enough for that, and 12 gauge for 20 amp. 30A requires #10, but generally cords with the proper 30A ends will be sized properly.

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
Camp ground voltage will likely be low when lots of folks are running their a/c. You won't even know you are operating your a/c at low voltage cuz some one on a forum said you are good to go cuz you are using a 30A plug, what a crock! Let's not even consider as temps rise all the RV a/c are using more power dropping the voltage more and more.

This is why the latest "must have" camper item is an electrical management system (EMS) instead of surge protectors. EMS are supposed to kill power to your camper if the voltage goes too high or too low. When things are correct again they turn back on...

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
This is why the latest "must have" camper item is an electrical management system (EMS) instead of surge protectors. EMS are supposed to kill power to your camper if the voltage goes too high or too low. When things are correct again they turn back on...

A lot of the surge protectors on the market are ems units.. majority of the SurgeGuard line are ems units. Most are fooled by the name and think they are just a surge protector..

theseus

Living the Darkside...
Silver Supporting Member
Feb 6, 2007
Centerville, OH
A lot of the surge protectors on the market are ems units.. majority of the SurgeGuard line are ems units. Most are fooled by the name and think they are just a surge protector..
I have the 30amp Southwire Surge Guard with bluetooth display inside. I like it.

Wrenchgear

5 Star Eagle Camper
Aug 5, 2010
Near Elmira, Southern Ontario
I won't even get into my house wiring, other then to say, I have 1 15amp circuit powering a mix of 35 switches, lights and plugs.. 3 of my 4 outside plugs sit on this circuit, both garages, 3 season room and the wood storage shed.. its about 28 items over what building code allows.. Yes , going to add a pony box in the main garage and split all these into 5 other circuits plus add a 30amp run for the trailer.. the price of service wire is expensive and need about 100ft to run from main box to where the pony box will go..
Give me an accurate length of wire that you need. I think I have a bunch of NMD 90, #6/4 (possibly some #8/4) out in the shop. You can't bury it in the yard, but you could run it from a panel to outlet inside. Let me know, I can bring it to Mag if its long enough for you.

Snow

Super Active Member
Jul 19, 2007
Ontario
Thanks wrench.. I'll get a more accurate guesstimate and message you.. maybe have a holiday meet up at BW..