extension cord

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Dana Swanson, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, thats new, my house has scre in fuses. Most are 30 amp. They didn't seperate the runs back then.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I won't even get into my house wiring, other then to say, I have 1 15amp circuit powering a mix of 35 switches, lights and plugs.. 3 of my 4 outside plugs sit on this circuit, both garages, 3 season room and the wood storage shed.. its about 28 items over what building code allows.. Yes , going to add a pony box in the main garage and split all these into 5 other circuits plus add a 30amp run for the trailer.. the price of service wire is expensive and need about 100ft to run from main box to where the pony box will go..

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

re: What size extension cord do I need to plug up my popup at home?

a simpler answer might have been - use any cord, and turn on all your PUP devices. Feel the temperature of the cord and the fittings each end. IF not nothing is hot, and if the devices run OK, you are likely OK. (notwithstanding comments about low voltage hurting AC units).

I m not saying that my alternative answer is good, but its not terrible either.

I make this comment because often the answers to electrical questions get complicated and confusing to a first timer, and thus wind up being of no help at all.

Karey and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

I can see someone using a 18 gauge zip cord and burning up the converter and AC.

Snow and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

18 Ga won't hurt the converter physically, but it wont reach full output.

which reminds me, I have a spare old model converter that was removed from our Aliner .......

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    Hilldweller likes this.
  6. Dana Swanson

Dana Swanson New Member

I too have a 1952 house with same wiring. So i used the reg orange extension cord and gave now notice the plug and recital are both burted so I will be getting some one to run a new wire with a new 30 amp breaker in the garage as a safety to my house and grandson in camper.

7. Ronal Owens

Ronal Owens New Member

For 15 amps, a 14 gauge extension, a 12 gauge extension for 20 amps, a 10 gauge extension for 30 amps, an 8 gauge extension for 40 amps, and a 6 gauge extension for 50 feet 50 amp extension cable RV, use a 14 gauge extension. Consider the length of the cable, as it has an impact on the load and output power.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Don't use an old cord or one with discolored connector ends. If amperage is an issue it will simply trip the breaker in the house when you try to start the AC but will probably run "Fan Only." If it starts make sure it is set to "Max Cool" so that the compressor won't cycle.

If the compressor tries to start before the house breaker trips it is due to voltage drop, don't try it again.

9. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

I use a 25' 12/2 extension cord. Our homes have a 20 amp circuit in the garage, never had an issue.

Never understood why a garage (or outdoor oulet) would have a 15 amp circuit, but it happens for some reason....

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Because its , 1 it's cheaper to run and 2 that was standard years ago. They didnt have anything that was 20 amps to run.

11. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I use a 12 gauge extension cord to plug in my travel trailer at home

12. NegrilJerry

NegrilJerry Newbies in GA, we LOVE this site!

I think the standard drop cord is 15 amp, I bought a 25' 20 amp which I use along with a 3-slot RV adaptor, works fine including with the aircon running.

13. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Not sure there's a "standard". Some are 16 gauge which shouldn't even be used for 15 amp. 14 gauge is generally good enough for that, and 12 gauge for 20 amp. 30A requires #10, but generally cords with the proper 30A ends will be sized properly.

14. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

This is why the latest "must have" camper item is an electrical management system (EMS) instead of surge protectors. EMS are supposed to kill power to your camper if the voltage goes too high or too low. When things are correct again they turn back on...

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

A lot of the surge protectors on the market are ems units.. majority of the SurgeGuard line are ems units. Most are fooled by the name and think they are just a surge protector..

16. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I have the 30amp Southwire Surge Guard with bluetooth display inside. I like it.

17. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Give me an accurate length of wire that you need. I think I have a bunch of NMD 90, #6/4 (possibly some #8/4) out in the shop. You can't bury it in the yard, but you could run it from a panel to outlet inside. Let me know, I can bring it to Mag if its long enough for you.

Sjm9911 and Snow like this.
  18. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Thanks wrench.. I'll get a more accurate guesstimate and message you.. maybe have a holiday meet up at BW..

19. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have a non bt version.. works great.