Exterior Access Doors

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by TNW, Nov 5, 2017.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I posted an exterior door install a few weeks ago. Aliner folk were not much help. I felt better building a little frame for structure after cutting a big hole in the side of the camper. I also raised the hole as high as it would go, to leave some of the side panel below the hole. Leaving that little bit of panel on the bottom, gives that side a little more structural integrity. When you cut the hole, there is the outer and inner skin, and the exposed foam between them. I made sure I covered the exposed foam with caulk, and finger worked it in, to minimize water intrusion. Put a good bead of caulk on door frame and bed it in the hole. Clamp the frame in the camper side for 4 hours or so. After 24 hours for a full cure, it should be good to go. Since I've been a mechanic for years, I put screws through the frame and into wood frame I built around the door.

2. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

I found your pictures, thank you so much for that! I'll try to post pictures of the results. For anyone wondering, Aliner apparently does not screw them in anywhere, just beds them in a silicone caulk I believe. Out of simplicity and our own skill sets, I think we'll go that route, hopefully it will go smoothly. (It was mentioned the fit needs to be snug for this to be appropriate).

3. WrkrBee

One thing I noticed, I "leveled" the camper and I leveled the door. If I do another, I'll just measure up from the bottom of the camper so it is visually level. If you notice, mine is just a little off square. Take care when drilling the transfer holes, since a bit coming through the thick wall on an angle will cant the door, also.

4. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

This is exactly what I needed to know, I’m definitely concerned with them being crooked. We will take these notes to try to make sure they’re just right.

5. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Member

OK...YA'LL... The hatch doors are the bomb ;) We just got home from an 8 night stay in two locations and boy the hatches are CLUTCH. Waaaaaaay easier than before. Anyone shopping right now, GET THE HATCH DOORS! Hahaha, just my [2C]

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I just ordered 2 baggage doors from Aliner—one for my rear psgr side and the other for my front driver’s side.
    They now have only one size (opening is 13 5/8”x16 5/8l), and it is only avail in black. I’m planning on painting my existing polar white baggage door black to match. Unfortunately, the new doors are only avail in plastic. The locks are included with the same CH 751 key as the original. Price: $89.88 USD/door.

7. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Ha ha. I just ordered 2 baggage doors from Aliner too!
    I could not get the plastic ones I wanted so have the black fiberglass ones.
    When we did the other Aliner we were able to get the white to match the other door. Putting that door in was a great help to access more space!

8. Strawhouse

Huh...Kevin at Aliner told me today that they only had the plastic doors. I would have preferred the fibreglass ones! I think I’ll email him now. I remember you showing me the door you added in your rear psgr side. That’s what inspired me to add to mine!
    I added 2 stabilizers to the front last year. Easy-peasy. Can’t imagine why they weren’t standard on the Ranger 15 Off-road...

9. WrkrBee

Fiberglass is plastic. FRP- Fiber Reinforced Plastic.

10. Strawhouse

True. But it my understanding from my conversation with Aliner was that they had been using a ‘plastic’ (their term, not mine) baggage doors in recent years. I confirmed today that they have discontinued the use of those ‘plastic’ baggage doors and now only use the fibreglass doors. So, in the end, I will be getting the fibreglass doors that I wanted. :)