Exterior face lift

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Kim C, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Kim C

Kim C New Member

I am planning to paint the exterior of my pup this weekend. Decals are all removed and the box is clean. I have the Zinsser Oil Base Exterior primer that I plan to roll on. What finishing paint is recommended? I am assuming oil base as well? Its for a 1998 Dutchman Duck and I believe it is a fibreglass skin and not smooth.

Thanks All!

2. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

I'm not positive but I have built/rebuilt several boats. I have used Rustoleum boat paint with great success. Look up the "roll and tip" method. I could create a super smooth mirror like finish that rivaled professionally sprayed paint jobs. It is cheap and easily resourced because Lowes sells it.

3. Banana Pancake

Banana Pancake New Member

What did you do to remove old paint and decals? We are wanting to do the same but are unsure of the best way to prep the surface.

4. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Easiest way to remove the decals is with a heat gun, at least on Coleman PUs. It softens the glue enough to make them peel off easily.

akriot likes this.
  5. Tom & Fran

Tom & Fran New Member

Once
    you remove the decades from your PU and repaint. How do you get new decals? I have a Coleman and there no longer producing PU's .

6. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

If you can’t find a seller on Amazon, EBay, Etsy, etc., ask around in your local crafting community. Those vinyl cutters are pretty common now. So if you can provide a graphic file, they can probably cut the smaller decals for you to be glued on.

7. jon davenport

jon davenport Member

Hello there! reading your post about restoring your PUP. There are a bunch of places to find vinyl decals now. it takes a bit of foot work to look through the web. Here is a guy I found a couple years ago, he has done 4 different jobs for me and all have turned out well. Best of luck , and looking forward to your pics :) https://www.facebook.com/BMACKDECALS/