Exterior Repainting Prep and Products

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by Banana Pancake, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Banana Pancake

Banana Pancake New Member

We are rebuilding our 1987 Starcraft Starflyer. We are planning on repainting the exterior panels. The decals are flaking and the paint is very chalky. Does anyone have advice on prepping the surface? Also, we have thought about repainting with Grizzly Grip. Any thoughts about painting products?

Much thanks!

2. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

The decals can be removed fairly easily by using a heat gun and medium heat. It will soften the glue allowing them to peel off easily.

3. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

You can get really good results using rustoleum paints and a foam roller. I sprayed mine with automotive enamel only because I have access to a paint booth but I have a couple friends who did the rustoleum and foam roller and brush technique. They turn out really well and no roller marks or brush strokes.

bheff likes this.
  4. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

This is a great reply. I have build several boats from scratch and restored several others. On the lower end builds I bought rustoleum BOAT paint at Lowes. I rolled and tipped it (google) and the results were pretty amazing. 99% of the finished product is all in the prep. Take your time, remove stuff and sand/prep until you think it's perfect, then do it some more. Then paint.

Ladiesman likes this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Never in my life herd of tipped it. Lol. A non painter must have made that up! Brush it out is what i always knew. I did paint for a living in my youth for a cranky 60 year old painter. Learn something new , thats old, every day.

6. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Tipping is very very lightly just barely using the tip of the brush to knock down the peaks. The brush is almost parallel with the work surface and it's a very gentle process. It's a pretty common term in the boat building world.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yes, i see after i goggled it. Painters do it but it was always feather it out or brush it out. All the same thing. Just diffrent terms.