Exterior siding damaged by vehicle; looking for suggestions for how to repair.

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
Hi all, our camper recently got a hole put into the side of it by a another vehicle's rear-mounted bike box.

There are two holes in the side of the camper, one quite small and one a bit larger. I'd like to repair this myself. I'm not concerned with making it look perfect or even the same as it used to look. Primary objective is to just make it watertight again.

Pics are attached.

Thank you all for any and all suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_5886.jpeg
    IMG_5886.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5887.jpeg
    IMG_5887.jpeg
    174.3 KB · Views: 42

Tarkus

Aug 15, 2021
Casper, Wyoming
OUCH! What is the outer skin material, the white stuff?
ABS, paint, aluminum?

It doesn't look like any real structural damage, but hard to really tell.
To me it looks like popcorn paint on thin plywood. I would clean it up and blend in thin sheet plywood for starters, using Gorilla glue, then apply a good primer and paint to match. You may be able to match the texture using a large natural sponge.

I would also suggest searching on line how boats or wood canoes are repaired. My guess is it would be very similar.

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
Thanks for your replies. At first I too thought it was FRP but I looked into FRP and they state its not meant for outdoor use—can get brittle and yellowed.

I routered off a couple bits and I have attached photos. It looks like 1/8" Luan or particle board with a fairly robust white plasticky coating glued to the board. It could very well be FRP but it's quite thin maybe a big 1/32" or so.

The photos show a piece of the wood and plastic coating as one piece plus some of the wood and plastic coating separated.

Attachments

• IMG_9454.jpeg
    IMG_9454.jpeg
    181.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9453.jpeg
    IMG_9453.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 18

SheaLoner

Apr 12, 2021
Upstate NY
Do you want it to match? Easiest at this point would be to use a piece of thin plywood to patch the panel and coat it with something to waterproof.

xxxapache

Super Active Member
Jul 30, 2008
I'd probably seal it with bondo or eternbond tape then then cover it with some kinda vent like a soffit vent or similar.

white-master-flow-soffit-vents-eac16x8w-64_100.jpg

Ladiesman

Super Active Member
Feb 6, 2018
That is FRP the same as they use in refrigerated trailers or some bathrooms that apears to be glued to luan. You can actually buy 4x8 sheets at Menards. They make patch kits we used to use them on trailers its a two part epoxy type stuff and you press the pebbled texture in it once its applied with a sheet that comes with it. You can find it online. I think the company was Key polymers If I remember correctly. That stuff works and is water tight.

Last edited:

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
Do you want it to match? Easiest at this point would be to use a piece of thin plywood to patch the panel and coat it with something to waterproof.
not at all worried about it matching, no... just curious though what would you use to coat it?

TimAZ

Oct 16, 2021
Many choices for repair, but I’d skip the Gorilla glue because it’s not for outdoor use. Exterior plywood, marine-grade epoxy, and Bondo for filler would be my choices for the materials.

grrrrraham

Apr 9, 2018
Thanks all for your ideas. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but will definitely be taking all of your tips to heart when the time comes to repair. For now I have some 6mil plastic and duct tape protecting the area.

One thought I had was taking the panel out of the door and using part of that as a patch. Then I can just replace the door panel with anything really and it won't look too out of place.

If I'm patching the ABS-lined wood with part of the door panel's ABS-lined wood, would you still use Bondo to fill the gaps? Or would caulking do the trick too?