EXTERNAL HARD DRIVES for WIN 10 LAPTOP

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by roybraddy, Aug 16, 2018.

1. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Was just about ready to go get a SEAGATE External 1TB Hard Drive for my WIN 10 LAPTOP for backup of of files and things. WALMART - AMAZON has them pretty reasonable priced... $60-$80 dollars etc...

These are the units that runs from your 3.0 USB drives. After reading the reviews it seems most everyone is saying don't waste your money on them. Some real horror stories listed under the reviews. They just quit for no reason they say haha...

One guy says get the Western Digital vs SEARGATE... They cost a tad more

Now I am really at a loss of which way to go... I need to start doing backups with my stored files and data items... I currently use a USB STICK to store some real important items and have done that for years.

I am in the process of removing my old MS OFFICE 2007 program and replace it with the MS2016 OFFICE for home users that only has the WORD-ECELL-POWER POINT and ONENOTE suites. Then i want to look around for a MS LOOK ALIKE Program to replace my MS 2009 OFFICE OUTLOOK Mail program... I want to to save all the files associated I here on my WIN 10 LAPTOP including my OUTLOOK EMAIL files before I remove anything... I thought the portable External Hard drives was going to be the answer...

What does most of your computer owners do... I'm probably going to hear use the CLOUD STORAGE haha... That almost scares me even more that not backing up things...

No way am I going to subscribe for MS2016 OFFICE program for $9.95 a month foerever or $99 every year...

Any help ???

We are pretty tight budget here so only get maybe one shot at this haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

2. p

p Active Member

Even better idea. Get a wireless hard drive and you can download directly to it from you phone.

Or...I bought a 1.5 terabyte drive and a doohickey from Amazon that connects to it creating a little wireless network. Then I connect my wife's s5 to the wireless network and download the files onto the portable hard drive. No computer necessary. Everything also holds a charge so I do not require power outlets.

RAVPower FileHub Plus, Wireless Travel Router, SD Card Reader USB Portable Hard Drive Companion, DLNA NAS Sharing Media Streamer 6700mAh External Battery Pack

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00X3GU0E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I have dealt with probably hundreds of drives when I taught computer repair classes. I have found Seagate to be far superior to Western Digital in quality and warranty service.
    I personally do not trust my backups to any cloud. I have a removeable caddy and the drive goes in my safe after the backup. With a laptop on 3.0 USB you can go full size disks.

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

@roybraddy Back in the day when I first got involved with computers (early 80's), you couldn't run fast enough to give me a Seagate drive, but nowadays, they seem as good as any other.....I happen to have 3 of them, just like you're describing, & they've all been working fine. I also have a Seagate internal hdd acting as a data drive in my home computer, with a Team L3 SSD as primary drive. That's not to say they're completely trouble free, DIL's Seagate external drive died just outside of the warranty period.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

For a program, check out Open Office, it is free, has everything MS Office has (actually much more)

6. roybraddy

By CADDY I guess you are referring to a CD Player... I always liked the SEAGATE hard drives over the years but going to AMAZON where they have their 1TB SEAGATE External drive listed its reviews is really bad about this model lasting very long. Then they say they want $500 to retireve the data after they fail. And they don't guarantee it either hehe..

Back in the day we used to save our data on CDs

Just trying to come up with something to save all my files before I remove the 2009 MSOFFICE program... I need to be saving them anyway... I do have a CD PLAYER already on it but have no idea how much data you can save on one...

Looking for info on best way to go... Maybe my USB memory sticks is still not a bad idea... At least there is no moving parts for that...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

7. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

I have a couple Seagate drives here for back up. That's my choice over Western Digital for sure.

8. Fless

Fless Active Member

I think that Open Office is behind with updating; Libre Office has better support and updates.
    https://www.libreoffice.org/
    I haven't used Libre Office in a while, but don't count on changing file types back and forth from, say, Word to Writer. Best to stay with one file type. I think it will open and save in MS Office formats.
    _

9. roybraddy

Thanks Roy - Am familiar with the OPEN OFFICE. Use their drawing package already... Was wanting to play with a few if them to see what the wife and I can work with... I don't mind buying the MS 2016 OFFICE for Home Use for the one time payment $149. AT least we both are very familiar with the MS OFFICE packages...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

No a hard drive caddy.

11. roybraddy

Fless - Now you got me wondering which one I have here OPEN OFFICE or LIBRE OFFICE. I have only used the DRAWINGS side of it... That was another program I lost out on when getting away from the Government/DOD contractors being AUTOCAD... Used to we could load all of those high dollar programs on our home computers and use them... Sure can't do any of that any more hehe...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

12. roybraddy

Oh OK - makes sense now - Just have a second Hard Drive going. I doubt I could adapt that with my LAPTOP... I might look into that

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

13. myride

myride Well-Known Member

I have used Seagate drives consistently for many many years with no problems whatsoever both with my own photos/data and at work. I have a raid system with 4 drives....all Seagate. While on the road I use the 2 TB wireless from Seagate and trust it with my most precious files.