External Propane Quick Connect, what is it good for?

Discussion in 'Propane - Got Gas' started by Mike Schlottman, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Mike Schlottman

Mike Schlottman New Member

I have a 2001 Coleman Fleetwood. It has an external propane quick-connect for the stove to be used outside. What else can I use this connection for? I'm thinking a higher BTU burner would be nice. Maybe a small grill or lantern.

Who has successfully used these connections for other things?

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I use mine for my Camp Chief Propane Campfire.

Allamakee County and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It depends if you have a high pressure or low pressure port? Is it a true quick connect or a screw in?

4. Mike Schlottman

It is a quick connect. I'm not sure what defines high and low pressure, but it is regulated. The regulator is a 605h. I can't find any specs on the regulator that would tell me what the pressure or flow is.

5. p

p Active Member

With a lp....
    Coleman roadtrip
    Weber
    Pitboss
    Blackstone.

All require a specific adaptor at little cost and no skill to add on.

6. Sjm9911

If its a quick connect, its low pressure. So any low pressure propane appliance. If you add a high pressure appliance you need to remove the regulater of the appliance for it to work well. Some stuff may be the exception, but not much.

Raycfe and Mike Schlottman like this.
  7. Mike Schlottman

Can you refer me to the hose and adapters that you are using?

It sounds like I would want a hose with a 1/4 inch quick connect on one end and 1 lb propane on the other for most of these. Maybe just a quick connect on both ends for more flexibility. Then combine that with QC to 1 lb and QC to NPT for various purposes.

8. Sjm9911

You need to check the quick connects as there are diffent types, some dont fit others.

Mike Schlottman likes this.
  9. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mike Schlottman, most if not all grills are low p (~0.5 psi) and need the regulator removed to work with the quick disconnect. If the regulator is removable with out loosing the controls.
    rv qd hose
    A high pressure stove like a Coleman would never work (15 psi)
    There are some low pressure stoves, some of the big camp chef come to mind.
    The lp stoves by camp chef have the regulator at the propane container and when the hose is removed, the above hose screws onto the stove.

there is hose available for some blackstone's. Weber Q is a great grill, both it and roadtrip have youtube videos of how to convert.

Mike Schlottman and Sjm9911 like this.
  10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Mike you may be getting half truths here ........ If it is a quick connect ......it is low pressure...... designed to be used with appliances without their own regulator. Using appliances with a built in regulator and designed to use high pressure tank pressure and the appliances will regulate the pressure. You may be able to remove the regulator of a high pressure appliance but may effect its performance. So I suggest you plan before you act. You may be just wasting your money and getting poor results. I have never had a need for a low pressure supply outside the camper. Some campers you where able to remove the crappy galley stove and plug it in to the low pressure disconnect, other for that what good is it.

E.D., Mike Schlottman and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. DM27

DM27 New Member

I use a quick-connect splitter so I can plug in both an RVQ grill and our 2-burner Camp Chef stove, since we do our cooking outside once we're setup at the campsite.

12. p

p Active Member

Just google the stove type and amazon will lead you to the adapter.
    Examples
    1)
    Google search "weber 100 lp adapter amazon "
    Result: https://www.amazon.ca/MCAMPAS-Propa...0899ZMP5K/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

2) Google search: "coleman roadtrip lp adapter amazon"
    Result: https://www.amazon.ca/MENSI-Disconnect-Converter-Roadtrip-Portable/dp/B07ZDQDT36

etc...

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Damn near anything will require modding or new hose. I made a 2-way splitter for mine so I can run 2 cook units. I initially started out with a Coleman Road Trip. Mine was the blue one with the push on regulator. I bought a spare regulator, cut it off and clamped the existing hose off my stove to it, since I hated the factory stove. That worked well, but he stove itself was big and took up a lot of room. the newer Coleman Road Trips use a screw in regulator and you can buy an adapter instead. There are some newer Roadtrips that are high pressure though, so if you go this route do your research before buying.

I also had a Weber Q1200. I unscrewed the regulator on it, made my own adapter and screw on a hose to use it. I can run both the Weber and the Road Trip off the splitter with no issues.

I found I hadn't used the Road Trip for a while though, so I sold it and all the stove grates, griddle and grill bits and adapters. I have a Camp Chef Weekender stove that I have been using for a couple years. It does not have a regulator - you just screw on the quick connect hose they sell and you are good to go. That one was the easiest to get working, and was a much better cooking experience for me, although it was not great in the wind, similar to the Road Trip.

The Blackstone 17" and 22" portable griddles will run off the quick connect as well. You just get an adapter and a hose.

There are other stoves out there that will also work, but these are the ones I have personally tried. These days I use the quick connect only for the Weber and the the Blackstone. I have a 3 burner Coleman 5428 propane stove that I really like but it runs off high pressure. I have a smaller 5lb tank that I use for cooking. I also have some splitters and long hoses that I can put on the pup tanks as well. If I am pressed for space I bring the 5428 and 2 burner griddle - that stove allows me to do just about any meal in a pinch. If I want a more well equipped kitchen and I am staying longer, then the BS and Weber come along, depending on what I am cooking.

My 1999 Jayco had the older natural gas spec quick connect. In later years the industry standardized to a slightly different port. exterior dimensions are the same, but the newer ones have a larger interior diameter on the socket. For mine it was difficult to find parts that fit my disconnect but I discovered that the tip of a Papermate pen cut to the right size would fit in as a spacer, and all good.

Got my eye on the new Weber Traveler though - that looks like a pretty nice portable grill, but pricey.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  14. E.D.

E.D. New Member

Look at the stove spec that it normally connects to (may have to look underneath the stove to find the specs) and it will list a range of what pressure it takes to run. Other option is to look at the regulator that your propane tank connects to. As others have stated, it depends on what pressure the regulator is that provides gas to your connection. Our outside stove takes higher pressure than our inside stove and as a result, we have two different regulators. In fact, we were unable to find the correct regulator for our outside stove (when the original regulator failed) and ended up with an adjustable valve and a pressure gauge for the line heading to our outside stove to make sure we were sending gas at the right pressure. I understand that outside stoves often require higher pressure to keep the flame from blowing out when there is wind.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I added two high pressure connections. Use them with hoses for Coleman road trip grill and Coleman single mantle lantern.