Extra anti theft deterrent

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Bowman3d, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Well-Known Member

Yes, it will drain the battery. But I'd rather have a dead battery to charge up than a totally missing camper.

2. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

In a few hours when the battery is drained the breakaway brake will have no braking affect.

3. Grandpa Don

Yes, I know it is not foolproof. But I don't think a thief is going to sit around and wait for the battery to drain. Especially if there is an horn attached to the system. But you are correct, if the battery goes dead, so will the protection.

4. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

I think a few people are missing the point here, or have not read the thread from the beginning. Start reading at post #21. The idea is not to pull the pin on the break-a-way switch and let the thing sit there for days/weeks/months killing the battery and possibly wrecking the brake magnets. The idea is to have the brakes come on via the break-a-way switch if someone tries to steal the trailer and moves it. Thats when the brakes will be energized, (and possibly some horns), not 3 weeks before hand.

BillyMc and Grandpa Don like this.
  5. Grandpa Don

Yes...that's right. Were some folks really thinking that the brakes would be on the whole time in storage. Noooo, tell me it ain't so!

Wrenchgear likes this.
  6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

To deter a thief you have to give the thief a series of obstacles to overcome. It also helps if he can see that he's going to do enough damage to make it less worth his effort.

A good hitch lock is a start, use one that you have to use the key to close as the ones that just slip together are much easier to defeat. Padlocking the chains is a good idea. Raise the tongue of the trailer up high and remove the jack handle or disconnect the electric jack from the battery. You could integrate an alarm with a mercury switch to sound off when the tongue is lowered. Put the stabs down and put away the handle.

Using the breakaway switch is a great idea, especially with an integrated alarm. It's not a good first line of defense because it can be deactivated by simply cutting the ground wire to the battery. If it's a surprise obstacle to overcome he may give up, but likely not if he's already got the trailer hitched to his vehicle.

The key is, you want the thief to see enough obstacles that he will give up before making the attempt.

Rik Peery, Bowman3d and Grandpa Don like this.
  7. _WW_

_WW_ Member

Making them bring along a tire or two and a jack seems like a pretty good deterrent.

SteveP likes this.
  8. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

I would love to find a tracker that can be purchased.. and activated upon missing vs a monthly fee when not needed.

I have a chain and padlock to wrap through wheels and axle, and a ball coupler and chains that are quickly removable and taken with me.

antithefttongue.jpg

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I think SteveP got the idea of my OP. The locks on the stabilizers are not meant to prevent but to just add another layer of deterrent. An opportunist thief sees trailer then sees hitch lock,chains locked to the hitch lever thingy, cable through wheels,stabilizers down and locks and thinks to much work.

I also like the idea of a second breakaway switch mounted underneath the trailer with a small motorcycle type battery mounted inside so the won’t be able to just cut the wire or put the pin back in easily and be on their way.

10. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You could use a backup, hidden, ground wire. Drill the bottom of the box and run a wire through the hole up to the negative post on the bat. Attach it to the frame in a less obvious place than the original ground. 14 gauge should be enough for just the brakes but 10 would mean it would still be good if the original ground wire failed for some reason.

You could also run the positive wire to the breakaway through the same hole so that it would be harder to cut also.

11. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

The horn had nothing on that 455ci V8, once road salt ate through the muffler pipe. Ask me how I know.

Econ likes this.
  12. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

I have two deterrents going for me:

1) Nobody can see the Starflyer from the road. Even if they know it's there, they have to pass my bedroom window, crunching gravel, Boston Terrible raising a racket, and out here in Sector 706 everyone has blasters.

2) A neighbor (i.e. less than a mile away) has his PUP in a shed, with the hitch tongue roughly 15 feet from the road. If someone is going to steal a camper, they'll take his first. No battery box or even propane tank, so it's likely pretty spartan inside, but someone looking for a quick grand probably won't notice.

13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

But it would be difficult to rig up a 454 as an alarm.

That did come with a 12 bolt posi??

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    FARfetched likes this.
  14. gruss

gruss Active Member

If someone wants your popup they will get it....
    Around here they aren't high theft items but what I do? Just enough to make sure it's not super easy. couple padlocks to make it sort of a pain.
    If nothing else I can tell the insurance company I took extra measures...

15. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

I do the same. Can track its location right on my phone....right now, its still in the driveway thankfully :)

16. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

That is my concern. It is doubtful anything will happen at home. We live in an ocean of TT. It is on the road where the exposure lies. It is hopeful that most national parks are not in high crime districts. Plus I have the added advantage most don't. Our roof is up most of the time. They have to figure out how to bring the roof down and that would take some time <GG>.

17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

These deterrents would be effective at slowing down and causing a would be thief to make noise, but would also hinder one of the main reasons we bought a camper. The PUP allows us to have spur of the moment camping trips because it's stocked and ready to go without a lot of packing. If I have to replace wheels, batteries, propane tanks and such before leaving we may as well stick to tent camping.

SteveP and Econ like this.
  18. Grandpa Don

Wha
    What brand and model GPS unit do you have?

19. sjrider

sjrider New Member

20. Grandpa Don

I think a GPS device is great once the camper is gone and probably stripped. I don't want mine to leave in the first place.