Extra support for beds?

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by kurlicat, Aug 3, 2009.

1. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

We have a Quicksilver 10.0 on order.
    I found out that the bunks are only rated to 450 lbs.. So I contacted the company and they are adding an extra support for the bed over the tongue. I'm only concerned with the end my wife and I will sleep on.

2. jaybird31

jaybird31 I'd rather be camping...

I have a 1988 Jayco JayKing 6 and I sleep sideways over the tongue end. I am gravitationally enhanced as well, at just under 400 pounds. I turn over a lot when I sleep. The wife and daughter share the other slide out and thier combined weight is a little over 500 pounds. We have never had any issues with the beds. Most important is to make sure the PUP is level, wheel chocks in really tight, all four stabilizers down firmly and the bed supports securely in place. Sweet dreams!

3. kurtes

kurtes Reno, NV

When the wheels aren't chocked well and the stabilizers aren't snug the pup feels a bit wiggly, but once all is tightened down both the beds on mine feel fine, I thought the queen sized bed would be a bit wobbly but it was good.

4. Sunnyfldays4me

Sunnyfldays4me New Member

Wonderful Inexpensive Bed Supports

:) Last year I bought a pair of Harbor Freight 2-in1 Support Cargo Bars #66172 for $15 a piece (on sale every other month for under $10). I simply cut the Blue outside tube then the smaller solid Inside rod down with a hacksaw.

I measured my bed to ground height, then subtracted about 10" plus or minus (to account for variations in ground slant and heigth). You can even remove the plastic rectangle protector on the lever end and mount it with screws to your underbed wood to keep the rod from bouncing out/off during rough play? We only use one side to sleep, but four would be ideal for other campers using both beds.

Beats every other idea I have read or heard of, simple, inexpensive, super effective and an easy 15 min each rod project. As they say, 'try it you will like it"

5. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

When I discovered that the beds on our future Quicksilver are only officially rated for 450 lbs, I became concerned. I contacted the owner of the company and asked what could be done. He told us that they have added extra supports for customers in the past. So they are adding an extra support on the side over the tongue. It will go between the tongue and the middle of the bunk (queen size).
    DW and I will sleep on the side with extra support. DS (8) will sleep on the other.

I had a thought of DS jumping on us in the morning and having the bunk give way.....

6. lisa73

lisa73 New Member

I was doing some repairs on our screens and I had to scoot all the way out to the far corner of the bed and I must of bounced just enough that the support pole came off the peg and the bed came out of the metal track and started going down scared me to death! My dh put a strap on the support poles and ratched them down , but now I don't trust it and I don't want to sleep in it. I looked up the site on the Harbor freight cargo bars and they only support up to 66lbs. My dh thought about drilling a hole in the support pole and the peg and inserting a pen, so the pole could not come of the peg, but would this weaken the integrity of the pole? Any advice would be helpful.

7. countrygirl7784

countrygirl7784 New Member

[:D]Well like a lot of you we are larger people and our camper is an 84 starcraft, I worry about the bed supports as well. In the midst of a rebuild anyway, but am going to buy a fence post support brack the one that is a U shape with bolt through it. My plan is to cut a four by four to fit from the trailer tongue to the bed. Put the post support bracket on the trailer tongue (the bolt through a space in the tongue should stabilize it, the the four by four will support the bed (just in case you understand, I dont wanna end up outside the trailer with a rude awakening!)

cindy

8. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

that's crazy! 2 full bodied adults will push that number even laying still. What were they thinking? oh yeah, keeping the weight of the unit down. I sure hope they redesign this portion of their campers. We are mulling over an 8.1 or a 10 for next year.

9. TACOMA03

TACOMA03 New Member

I use the RV "slide out" supports. I cut a 2x4 to go in the "C" channel and snug it up to each bunkend.

10. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

I made a t-shaped support out of steel pipe. I put it into an oversized cleat that is screwed to the tounge of the PUP. It's easy to put in and It made all the difference in the world. Bed doesn't move now, and the slight slump in the middle is gone too. I'm a tall heavy old guy. The Pics are in my flickr photostream, along with other mods.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/29891611@N03/sets/72157621866582536/

11. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

That's what I was thinking.

You should see the extra support they added...very heavy duty and fits perfectly. The owner told me that it raised the limit to 750 lbs.., which is far more acceptable. I'm not worried about the other end with my 60 lbs son.

There is so little weight difference between the 8 and 10....I'd go with the 10 (we did!)

12. Richard

Richard Take kids camping. It's great for you and them.

You sure won't regret getting that extra support, Jim.
    Jaybird, I like the "gravitationally enhanced" way of saying it!!!

13. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is our first PUP and I had no idea most bunk ends were rated to hold 1000 lbs. Had I known, we would have not bothered with any extra support.

What we did was buy four, 4' lengths of rebar and cut them to the lengths of the support bars. We slipped them inside each support tube since they are hollow.

Our beds felt very sturdy even before we did it, but our son-in-law is a big boy and suggested rebar before he was willing to climb onto a bed end so we added them. At only $3 each, the extra support was only $12 and doesn't show.

14. Amy Harris

Amy Harris New Member

I have a 2006 Fleetwood, and my boyfriend has a (considerably older) Jayco. I use the foot pads for my stabilizer legs, and the camper is level every time I set up somewhere. Now, my bunks are both king size and his are double and twin sizes. So the Jayco will naturally be a little more stable. However, my bunks have so much give that I sometimes hesitate to roll over at night, much less attempt any... ahem... adult cardio activities. Not only that, but this summer I discovered that the tracks for the slide have become warped to the degree that it takes two people to close the dinette slide fully; one person to manually lift up on the bunk from inside the camper and the other to push the dinette in (it's never worked to do the dinette first and then the bunk).

I believe the difference to be the Jayco's 4 support bars as opposed to my Fleetwood's 2. The Jayco's bars, at least on the bigger bunk, radiate up and out from the trailer hitch (located approx. straight down from the center of the bunk) towards each corner of the bunk (maybe 2/3 of the distance from center to corner?). My two supports go from the outer 1/3 of each side/corner to the inner 1/3 of the camper bumper. It's not enough.

I've been toying with adding additional supports, so if anyone has a genius, cheap, but also aesthetically pleasing solution (because let's face it I know my way around a wood shop but I still like things to be pretty), I'm all ears. I've considered the Harbor Freight bars but would prefer something built-in. I've also considered adding a couple more catches onto my rear bumper and bolting additional steel tubes onto the undersides of the bunks.

Just my two cents. And an invitation for further discussion.

15. SunnyP1985

SunnyP1985 New Member

I LOVE this! I am definitely going to get this fabbed up for mine - - great idea!

16. Joey78popup

Joey78popup New Member

We've got a 2004 Palomino and last year while we were out, noticed that the bed was listing towards the front, causing us to want roll that way all night (didn't sleep that well that night). After checking that the trailer was level (it was), i made a trip to the local lumber yard and bought a 4x4 and some hardware and fashioned 2 support poles onto a 2x6 to make a tee so they wouldn't sink and leveled the bed out. Slept rather comfortably since then!

17. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I never needed extra suport poles on my pup. And they were king beds on a 19 year old camper. Im 225 and do not sleep well. I toss and turn. I would look to see why the bed is leaning. Lots of times there are loose screws etc.