Extreme MPG Savings Tactics

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by generok, May 18, 2014.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I was evaluating getting my PUP into a remote site this weekend to do some boondocking/hunting. But the road in is too bad for the poor PUP. But with two engineers in the truck for the two hour ride, we came up with some ideas to increase TV mileage, many of which you know, and some you may not have thought of.

Basically, we focused on weight this round:

1. Don't tow with any water in the tanks. That's 120 lbs right there, or more. I'm sure whatever water you can find when you get there will be just fine, so fill up that tank at the destination. Hey look! There's a hose at that dump station! It's free and that hose looks pretty clean.

2. Keep the LP tanks empty. When you get to your site, buy just enough LP to last. When returning home, burn all excess LP. That's 60 lbs if you have dual tanks AND it's all tongue weight!

3. Fill ALL tires in TV and PUP with hydrogen. It's cheap, and even at 32psi, you'll actually still get some lift making the unsprung weight of the vehicle less. Sure, those little molecules will seep right out of those tires, and you'll have to fill them up every 6 hours, and sure it is flammable, but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do.

4. Ditch all owner's manuals. You've spent enough time reading, now drive.

5. Ok, if the spouse and/or kids aren't totally committed to camping, let's be honest, is it worth the gas to haul their weight? At the first sign of resistance, drop them at grandma's and enjoy the increase in MPG.

6. NEVER fill your gas tank! Keep your TV tank no more than 1/4 full, and it is most efficient to make it to the next fuel stop coasting in on fumes. Luckily, since you complied with #2 above, you don't have to worry about the fridge pilot light being lit during fueling.

7. Chairs? They're just dead weight. The ground is always available where you're going.

8. Replace every light in the TV and PUP with LEDs. Don't forget the glovebox light. This will reduce the electrical load on the TV and the alternator will consume less belt power. We began to do the payback calculations on this mod but it became difficult to predict fuel prices once we got out 20 years.

9. Don't tow food. Food is heavy. They have stores where you're going; buy only what you can eat. If you don't tow food, you also don't tow ice to keep the food cold.

10. Ditch all spare tires. It's a gamble, to be sure, but if you can pull it off, think of the savings! You can also ditch the jacks and lug wrenches. For that matter, 5 lugnuts seems wasteful. Three is the minimum to define a plane... lose two lugnuts times 6 wheels... that's almost a pound of unsprung weight.

11. Got hubcaps or wheel covers on your PUP or TV? Tsk tsk... extra weight.

12. Manufacturer emblems on your PUP or TV? Hey, they aren't paying you for that free advertising for their product, so scrape them off and lighten the load some. If you own a Rolls Royce TV, you will also save on parasite drag when you ditch the hood ornament.

Next time we may bring our petroleum engineer out hunting... then we'll have a whole series on things you can do to your fuel and LP systems to get just a wee bit of energy out of the systems. We're also working on a whole series of tips for wastewater.

Note: some of these tips MAY be thin attempts at dry humor. This effect would be heightened if you read each tip in Bob Newhart's voice.

Until next time... travel light!

2. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

I have reminded my family members more than once that if they are costing me mpg, I expect a certain amount of help in return. We have ongoing jokes about how to cut down on fuel usage.

3. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

This is also a good way to offset the weight of beverages in glass bottles [CB] [REDC]

4. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

two engineers and two hours.. lol some good and some utterly ridiculous and unsafe ideas..

bob barnes and bluegrassfan76 like this.
  5. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

I found a way to save on fuel costs and not worry about MPGs. I bought a diesel truck and about 4ft of hose. I only travel at night and stop at road construction sites where the equipment is parked and you figure out the rest. (lol not really.) [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

6. HiFiDave

HiFiDave Singin round the campfire

LOL fun thread. But after the mothers day tire blow out, can't imagine "ditching the spare" on either vehicle. I don't think those savings are worth it.

7. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

You would be suprised how far you can go on just a steel wheel. Heck, trains do it all the time. [8D] [PUC] [PUT] [LOL]

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I saw a guy drag his Polaris Ranger out of the woods 6 miles on just the hub after his wheel fell off... he seemed to do pretty good. [A]

9. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

[LOL]

Never looked at it that way. Plus not having all that unneeded rubber on the wheels you can cut down weight and save fuel.

10. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Don't forget, you can take the down-hill route both to and from the campsite. :)

That's the route just the opposite from the way our parents had to walk to school when they were kids. [LOL] [LOL]

11. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

Remove all your canvas and lift system. Gut the PUP cabinets, slideouts, etc. The PUP is mostly just for sleeping in, and you can squeeze at least 4 people in there popped down with all the guts out of it. Just crawl in at bed time and don't breathe.

12. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

with two hydrogen tires, it gives a new perspective to having a "blowout". It would make having the spare totally pointless.
    Don't forget to put a sign on the back saying "HINDENBURG II"

13. E3 Junkie

E3 Junkie Greetings from Granada Hills, CA.

Thanks, I enjoyed the thread, it's giving me ideas for my next TV travel conversation.

14. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

When we had a pup, a good friend of ours thought that is what we did until she joined us for dinner at our local state park one evening. She saw it popped up and was amazed at the space. Until then, she thought we climbed into that little door and crawled into bed!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

bob barnes likes this.
  15. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

OMG, I'm still killing myself laughing at ALL your comments!!

Seriously, generok....good thread. I needed that for a Thursday. I know some of them are honest and will save mileage....some of them are just down right hiliarious! [LOL]

16. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

We save 2 miles per gallon by forcing everyone to go for #2 before leaving. [LOL]

17. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I absolutely agree towing a full tank of water is ridiculous. We transfer the water into a 20-gallon jug and put it in TV. Haven't calculated how much gas I saved.

18. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

You can loosen the tension on the trailer brakes so there won't be as much drag on the TV.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I'll read more later!!

How about tow with a saturn S-series and still get 32mpg!!!

20. SLOTerp

SLOTerp Member

Here's a cheap MPG enchancer. This car obviously tows (note the hitch receiver).

Attached Files: