1. opie232

opie232 Member

I know that this is a camping forum and this only applies for a small reason. My wife and I found out today that a good friend of ours (her best friend) was diagnosed with brain cancer. She just recovered from stage 3 triple negative breast cancer only to find that it traveled to her brain one year later. The doctors are giving her no chance of recovery based upon the location and type of the tumors. They have been determined to be stage four and inoperable. Radiation starts on friday and chemo pills to follow. Unfortunately the chemo pills which can be effective can also cause brain damage. It is hard to hear your friend say that they are going to die. The wife and I are going to Michigan either Friday evening after the camping show or Saturday morning. We camp together every memorial day somewhere in Michigan because that is where she lives and have done so for the past 8 years. Kind of been a tradition. It's hard to think that last year will most likely be the last.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

2. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Thought and prayers go out to you and your friend in this difficult time. Don't give up, plan that camping trip, it's just over 3 months away. Make it close to her home if need be, it may give her something 'normal' to look forward to.

Diane

3. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Oh man... words cannot describe the feelings here about cancer. That damn stuff is gonna get us all eventually. Had lots of it go through mine and DW's immediate families. We feel so bad for your friend and you and DW. We'll keep you all in our prayers and wish for the best. God Bless...

Gary and Tina

4. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Sending my Thoughts and Prayers with yall and your friend and her family.

5. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Opee232. Im sorry to hear this sad news myprayers go out to you i too went through this past year. Last feb 2013. I lost my nefew we camped and fished every year for trout opener. And then i got a double wammy. And lost my brother in law. This past sept. We always camped memorial day and labor day weekend together with one surviving brother in law yet. All three of us had popups and enjoyed this tradition together for many years, This year is going to be tough but myself and my other brother in law dave decided we are still going to keep the tradition going. Just two of us now instead of three . Both my nefew and brother in law john would want it no other way ! I hope you find a way to. Keep strong

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

I am so sorry to hear, we too have lost a number to family members and friends to this disease. Our thoughts and prayers to your friend and your family.

7. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

So sorry for your friend. Nasty stuff. She needs to do what she can for as long as she can.

I lost my wife almost 4 years ago - battled breast cancer and lost to it spreading to her brain. She had whole brain radiation (surgery was not an option) and opted out of chemo. The radiation gave her about 18 months - enough to see our son turn 6. The doc said she would only have 12-15 months with radiation and maybe a month or two more with chemo.

8. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

So sorry to hear about your friend. We just lost a close friend to pancreatic cancer. After one chemo treatment, he decided not to do anymore because he knew it wouldn't really help him as there was no chance of survival. He still made it a lot longer than they predicted. Very sad....

9. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

I am so so sorry.

10. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

My heartfelt prayers for you, your friend, and her loved ones. Enjoy your time together.

11. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

Our prayers are with her.

12. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your friend [:(]

13. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Sorry to hear. Thought and prayers are being sent out to you & family and to your friend, and her family.

14. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Prayers go out to you guys, and Ljohn...very sorry for you and your son's loss! [:!]

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

We need a cure. Tell her to fight like a Girl. Prayer surge.

16. opie232

opie232 Member

So the original Dr made a huge mistake when it was mentioned that this is terminal. Others have said that radiation treatments will definitely help but she is not out of the woods yet. I will find out more details saturday. We are taking a road trip to see her. My wife set up a donation site and we are both going to do the Susan G Koen walk for a cure this year. I hope we have some positive news on saturday. Thank you for all the prayers.

Bryan

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

17. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

opie I hope the best. Always get a second opion with cancer. My uncle was a cancer Doctor and he told his patints to get a second opion and fight hard. There are alot of clinical trials out there for new cancer drugs( my uncle was in one took my grandfather into one. My grandfather had lung cancer a tumer the size of a softball. when done with the trial it was about pebble.) Good luck i hope for the best for you and your friend!!!!!!!!

18. mocamper

mocamper Active Member

Makes me sad too as like many of you fellow campers have lost loved ones to this dreaded disease. You and your friend are in our prayers. Don.

19. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

and a healthy dose of _)*&#@Q*Q(&$%$% to that title too. Have lost several family members from it. Dad was diagnosed with lung cancer and told on the spot he had a tumor on his sternum the size of a softball, which was crushing one of his lungs. They told him 3 months of chemo, maybe he'd get 6 months. He missed the target by ONE day (that really pissed him off the day he 'knew' was his last). He raised me like a son (the docs back then actually TOLD them I was a boy all along the pregnancy) and we fished, shot guns, shot pool, played golf. All the things a 'son' would do...and I wouldn't change a THING!! Every outing, we'd grab 2 bags of Krystal Burgers and hit the road. When I get to visit his grave, I always leave him a fresh burger on his head stone. I can only imagine what the maintenance men think when they see that. [}:)]

Don't know why we haven't found a cure yet, Opie. But I'm sending good vibes her way. Help to keep her active and CAMP!! Better to have a few great months, than a bed ridden, stress ridden few more months. [A]

Pam