Fabric Repair

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Daniel coln, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Daniel coln

Daniel coln New Member

Picked up this "85 Coleman Sun Valley recently. It's in pretty good shape. I replaced the tires and installed an electric water pump. I have an issue with some fabric damage that I hope someone can recommend a method to repair short of replacing the entire panel.
    Dan

Attached Files:

2. Arruba

Arruba Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Kellita Camper likes this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

You could find patch kits on Amazon as well. Tear aid is a great glue to help attach the patch. Cut the patch larger then you need especially if you find the canvas thin.

4. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

If it is the Evolution fabric, it is pretty much at the end of life, if not beyond. (I’m out camping and the obits won’t load) You can try sewing patches, then use seam sealer, or Tearaid tape (there is a fAbric version, and a vinyl one, found on Amazon and elsewhere)
    It is feels papery, it probably is Evolution. We had it on our first, 1984, pup. I patched it until it didn’t have enough integrity to hold a patch: sticking my finger through the fabric was one clue it was done.

Kellita Camper and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Active Member

6. UpNorth-John

UpNorth-John Member

I like the Tear-Aid Fabric (will have to remember that). A couple other suggestions: you could try sail mending tape (West Marine or any other large boating equipment supplier) or take a look at Sail-rite https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics. They have a product called Phifertex that looks similar. If it's not a good match, they may be able to suggest something. The Sail-rite folks are all about DIY projects for boating, camping, canvas and upholstery.
    Good luck with your project.

7. pastorkeith

pastorkeith New Member

I have an 86 Coleman and that is the evolution fabric. I have never had to patch anything that big, but seam grip sticks to the fabric well. It is available on Amazon or at camping stores. I would try glueing on a patch of fabric like canvas.

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Well-Known Member

That is definitely Evolution III. We have the same on our 1990 Coleman. Our canvas is on it's last season. We have the new one on order. We have had some luck getting clear Gorilla Tape to stick to it. Doesn't look the best, but works in a pinch.