Facebook Type "Like" Button

Discussion in 'Moderator Section' started by PopUpSteve, Jul 29, 2013.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

A lot of members have been asking for a Facebook type "Like" button. You can Like or Unlike each post but a post that you make. It does not link to Facebook.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I found the above on the "SMF Unofficial Help Forum". Phil, I have include the Zip file for you to see. And here's a link to the thread: http://smfhelp.org/index.php?topic=63

What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Thanks Lou.

The reason that other comment was edited was that it spawned two other negative posts which I had to delete. (Too late, I already saw your post. [:D])

3. pgordemer

pgordemer Guest

I see 3 big drawbacks of like buttons.

1. They SIGNIFICANTLY slow down the display of a message thread as it has to check for each response back to facebook to see the # of likes for each one. So picture 25 response, its 25 lookups to FB.

2. Rather than respond and keep the thread going, they will just hit LIKE. Threads will no longer stay active.

3. You want to promote it in other places, not LIKE it, so instead install a "share on facebook" option. If they like a thread, they can click share on facebook and the thread and its link will appear on THEIR facebook feed. Hopefully attracting others.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I guess I misread the description on the mod I posted at the top of this thread. I thought it was a Facebook like (in that it works like but does not connect to FB) button.

I agree with your points Phil. You might even say I "like" them. [LOL]