Factory Tow Package Question

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Mattda, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Mattda

Mattda Member

Hi, Can someone explain to me how I can check and see if my factory 7pin connector is charging my popup camper battery while towing. I'd like to keep the fridge in 12v mode while towing to keep it cool. Don't want a dead battery when I arrive to campground. My tv is 2017 honda pilot. Thanks

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

7-pin-trailer-connector.jpg What I did is buy a test light and in combination of the below diagram tested the pin. If it lit, it works, if not I checked my fuses in my car.

NMroamer likes this.
  3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

With the camper not plugged into shore power. Turn on a dome light with your battery connected the dome light should come on. Now disconnect the the battery. Light should go out. Now plug your camper to your pilot first with the engine running. If you have a charge line the dome light should come on. Shut the pilot off and you can see if it stay powered

Dan Wilson and tfischer like this.
  4. Mattda

Mattda Member

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll definitely try the camper dome light test when I get the camper out this weekend for our next trip. In the mean time I'm hunting down my 12v tester to see if that works.

5. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Mine worked but slightly underpowered for me. The alternator in your TV would be charging your battery so no worries there.

6. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

Plug the tv to the trailer, check the voltage at the battery. If it's higher than the battery's resting voltage, it's charging.

Spridle and Mat Kyne like this.
  7. Mattda

Mattda Member

Well my outside dome light works when its hooked up to the tv with no battery in it. Next step will be to check voltage but I'm thinking I'm good. I remember when I installed the factory wire harness I had to install 2 fuses. I think I remember the instructions mentioning that one was for 12v.