Failure.

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by clif and sandra, Jul 20, 2019.

1. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

We made it to the campground @ 7pm 89 deg and high humidity. Realized that all of our bubble levels had blown off and the site was horrible, cramped and sloping side to side and front to back. The low side was the door side. I made a Lego ramp 4 blocks high. Didn't have enough Legos to go under the stabilizers that were up in the air due to the slope. While technically level, the camper kept trying to swing the front end downhill. At that point I had to hold the camper in place by hand against my foot as I had no help, just plenty of onlookers and a kid on a bike who said "are you guys ok, you need some help? " while not actually stopping the bike, just said it on his way by our site LOL! Anyway, I fought it for 2 hours and finally gave up and went home. The campground is graciously giving us a credit. Now we are yard camping. The good news is that I finally got a chance to try out my homemade awning $65.00

Attached Files:

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I don't leave home without a Torpedo Level. Local CGs we generally take a drive to see what sites we want to stay on. When going to hill country we take extra blocking. You would be surprised how much scrap lumber is thrown in a construction dumpster that's perfect for blocking. Even with what I considered extra blocking we've had one site in the mountains that we barely got by.

3. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I have a 'bubble level' app on my phone, use it all the time, seems to work well for us, other than the times (yes, times) that I sent my phone aloft when I cranked up the roof...lol

4. BillyMc

I did that with the PUP keys once! I looked like the fool after accusing the kids of moving them.

5. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

1 always carry a back up level..
    2 always carry two sets of wheel chocks.- sounds like you had one set or none.
    3 i have about 6 or 8 bags of Lynx Levelers and have come close to using them all.

6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Dang, usually there's offers to help/loan stuff etc...each trip is/should be a learning experience no matter how long you've done it, maybe do a recon online before the next trip if possible; bright side, you made the most of it, awning looks good, you did your best, forget the rest [8D]

7. BillyMc

Glad you got to use your PUP anyway and from the picture it looks like a good job on the awning. A lot of members like the DIY post, I'm one of them.:) Is there a thread about you awning?

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I’ve had a site like that once. Thankfully my parents had some extra blocks on hand for me. Thank goodness, as I pulled in it was dark hard enough backing up in the night, much less needing to level.
    Ran into one couple that asked the campground if they had some extra wood laying around. Maintenance came through for them. Apparently they always kept extras laying around for just that situation. I have now bought an Anderson leveler so the lynx blocks can be for the stabilizers. I may still buy some more lynx blocks for the situations where I need more height than what the Anderson could provide. Thankfully hadn’t ran into any problems. Although I’ve lost two lynx blocks in the mud. The ground was soft so figured blocks under the tires would help stabilize the camper and prevent sinking, It worked, but they were completely covered by the time I left.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Like everything in life, its a learning experience. You will not make that mistake again! As others said bring extra cribbing for the pup. I have a milk crate filled with various size scrap wood. You need it, even if you dont. If you get a flat on uneven ground it can save you.
    I do like the awning!

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

You should buy a BAL leveler. We have almost all perfectly level sites here in Florida, but we always use it to unlevel a tad so the a/c will drain off the back.

Your awning looks nice. Glad you have space to do some backyard camping, to make up for the bad experience.

Did you take any photos of the obnoxious camp site?

11. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Been there done that as well Usually figure out something that works... Most always have someone stop by offering help... I am always doing that when I see someone having troubles setting up...

We usually go to the same places all the time and sorta know what to expect... Then we can plan accordingly...

With my large POPUP trailer front deck and truck bed we can carry some serious PLAN B items haha... Moma always says we are packing too many things that will never get used. But you never know what you are going to need until you need it haha...

Don't remember if I ever had a FAILURE but of course had many changes in setups... If all fails we will throw up our three room tent haha...

We learned a long time back that everything doesn't have to be absolute perfect... You can fudge alittle here and little there haha... Rolled out of bed one time tent camping because the slope was to steep haha... good for a few laughs haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have had a site like that before. Made it work but it took forever to get level and just add long to pack up due to the angled pad.

Over the years I have picked up extra blocks, I now have 3 full sets of lynx blocks, BAL leveler and a BAL wheel Chick. So far still good.

13. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

I lost 4 to the interstate! Found 2 more in the camper drawer once I set it up at home yesterday (of course). I had 4 chocks, but it still kept trying to swing. Which leads me to a question. If the ground is sloping that much side to side under a wheel and the blocks, which means the Legos are also sloping, is it really safe to use it that way as long as there's 2 chocks on the wheel on top of the Legos? I was just not confident that it would all stay in place once set up. Was I being overly cautious? At a minimum I need probably double the amount of levelers that I currently have. Which I kinda hate because that's a sizeable amount of space to lose in the camper or tow vehicle.

14. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

Thank you for the encouragement !

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If the chocks are set properly and wedged tight into the tire, there should be any way it for it to swing..
    Depending on the side slope and how much of an angle the blocks are on, I'd dig a bit and try to level them so they sit as flat as possible..

clif and sandra likes this.
  16. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

Not yet. I should make one. I need to take pictures of the packages that I used (telescoping poles, 8x10 silver tarp, sliding thingamabobs and the S-hooks that come with them, white clothesline)

17. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

Wow

18. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

19. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

Lol! Shew if it hadn't been so hot, I probably would have put another hour into it but then I hated the site so I figured I'd go for a credit. The site just wasn't worth the effort I was putting into it.

20. clif and sandra

clif and sandra Member

it was asphalt unfortunately

Rik Peery likes this.