Fair price?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Makalary, May 31, 2021.

1. Makalary

Makalary Member

Good evening,
    Going to look @ 2002 Rockwood Freedom 1620 8 ft box. Current owner asking $4000.00 Canadian. Looks clean from pics.
    Fair price?
    I understand many variables affect price
    Thanks
    Darin

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Sounds high to me.

3. Musictom

Musictom Member Gold Supporting Member

In this crazy, near post-covid time of uber high demand and limited supply, it's hard to say if a price is too high. 2021 is most definitely not 2019 or 2020 in terms of supply, demand, and price.

Good luck. I've heard of pups selling within hours of posting.

Ladiesman likes this.
  4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

With current climate it's very difficult to tell whats fair. I would look at it carefully and you decide if it's worth it to you.

kcsa75 and Ladiesman like this.
  5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Fair is a price you are willing to pay and the seller is willing to accept. That's about $3200-$3300 USD. I sold our '97 with no title that needed work recently. I listed it for $2000 OBRO. The buyer drove 4 hours to see it, I showed him everything it needed, mainly new canvas and that everything worked. He offered me $1800 and I said sold. Our was a 12' box with toilet, 3-way fridge, furnace, water heater, shower, and roof AC/with heat. I included a propane camp stove, but my custom stove I bought and modified that connects to the low pressure I keep for cooking outside with our new HTT. Condition and how it's equipped plays a big role in value. Fully equipped in good condition in a normal market I'd say the asking is a little high. In this crazy covid market it's hard to say. Look at it and make an offer based on what you find and feel comfortable with. The seller may take less.

6. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

If you like what you see, you can always make an offer. My dad always told me to never deny a man the opportunity to take less money.

Sjm9911 and BillyMc like this.
  7. POMPOM

POMPOM New Member

I paid $4000 for an 18 foot hard sided 1980 Bonair recently. It has a working toilet and shower. Looking around, I feel very lucky. I recently sold my 1977 Starcraft popup for $1000. It had a good replacement canvas from 2007. Newer bike rack and awning. It was solid although it had a leak one winter that was caulked right away and stayed dry since. But you could see where it took on water. I felt more than $1000 would not be fair but it was the cheapest trailer on Kijiji that didn't need work. It seems noone is selling anything on Kijiji, that you can head to a campground in, for under $2000. And that's for trailers with a canvas that is 30 years old. In ordinary times I would be wanting to spend a bit less on that Rockwood although it depends if it has expensive extras like a bike rack. For this summer it may be the best you can do.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

About double of what it's worth.. seller is trying to cash in on the covid pricing.. 18 months ago that would be a $2000 trailer .. in the past 18 months everything from rvs, atvs, boats basically any toy, has easily doubled in price...

xxxapache likes this.