fair weather camper or any weather camper

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by dav1966, Aug 1, 2013.

which one are you

1. in spring and fall

10 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. in summer

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. year round

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. year round rain or snow

16 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. only when you no the weather is gonna be nice

2 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

we are year round rain or snow as long as we can get out in the woods we go. we have camped during all types of weather even when everyone else packed up and left that's what it all about take the good with the bad we had camped in temps as low as 22 degrees and even 10 in of rain 3 noreasters and one earthquake

2. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I camp year round but I don't do well with the hot summer temps., so those trips are in the mountains. I have camped for a week in sub 0 F but the DW says NO! when mid 30's are predicted; so a little compromise is required.... lol.
    I really enjoy the campfire evenings in the late Fall.

3. dav1966

dav1966 New Member

summer hot days are not our favorite either enjoy fall the most with the campfire going but we go whenever we can no matter what the weather unless it extreme conditions gotta think about saftey

4. Chopperno1

Chopperno1 New Member

Me and the family will camp in all weather. We have not yet camped in snow. We have camped in frost warning conditions in a tent. Now with the pop up nothing short of a hurricane should hold us back.[{}=] [SUN]

5. Brate

Brate Bravado!

We camp spring to fall with the bulk in the summer (swimming), mainly because if we camp more we will run out of vacation days.

6. Karnizzo

Karnizzo Are we there yet?

Spring to fall for us. I don't mind the rain but it get hard to dry out the pup here in the Seattle area so winter camping I'd a "no" for us.

7. cullinan18

cullinan18 New Member

with the 4 and 2 year olds, rain scares us. the rain hitting the canvas has kept the kids up before and then we are often stuck inside. not very fun. the cold and heat don't bother us too much. we have heat / fans.

8. sydnisamsofi

sydnisamsofi New Member

any weather is camping weather [:D] [{}=] [SUN]

9. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

I couldn't answer the poll, because the choice of Spring, Summer & Fall was not there. I am not so interested in camping in the winter. Although, that may change now that we have the TT, we'll see.

10. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

We have camped in rain and snow. However, we avoid 100+ and below 32 degree weather. Since we can camp in Southwest desert, winter camping is possible.

11. ONTHEPIPE33

ONTHEPIPE33 New Member

Until this summer I've been a tent camper in all seasons. Half has been hike in winter camps. Defiantly not a fan of scorching HOT weather and avoid it when ever I can. ;) Not to sure how I will get winter camping in the pop-up, but I'm likely to try.

12. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

We've only had our pup since early spring but everytime so far we have had rain. I love to hear it raining on the pup. Very relaxing to me. We will camp in all seasons but nothing extreme I'm sure.

13. bmcilravey

bmcilravey Lovin' the pup!

We are any weather campers ...to an extent. In Canada, camping in February at -20 is less than ideal but between March and November anything goes.

14. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

If the campground is open, we will go camping, spring thru fall. Love spring and fall best...no bugs. Rain or snow is no problem with the right gear.

15. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

We have and are likely to camp year-round. With that said, winters here can be nasty and we will likely whimp out when winter's icy blow dirves one toward the fireplace. We do have nice weather sometimes during what is considered "winter" (daytime temps 50's nights mid 30's) and these would be acceptable.
    As far as camping or not camping depending upon weather forcasts during the other three seasons of the year, we do not make those decisions based only upon weather forecasts. Central Ky. is notorious for it's changing weather.
    Our weather is iften like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. So we determine our trips by when we can go and make the best of them.

16. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I can deal with up to 100F if the humidity is LOW. DW, not so much. I would not camp in a SE summer. I can deal with cold down to freezing but don't like it. If snow is involved I am NOT there. I can deal with some wind and rain but if I knew in advance that it would pour the whole time I'd be there I would not go. Once out there, however, you have to deal with what you get.

17. lbcarr87

lbcarr87 New Member

We camp Spring through Fall. We go when planned but do watch long range weather forecasts ( 10 Days or so ) and try to make decisions based on that. We've been in all kinds of weather from beautiful sunny days, Unbearably hot, Rain and Drizzle, Strong thunderstorms, a tornado warning and even woke up to a pup covered in snow once. My rule is that if we always wait for perfect forecasts we would never go camping. We just try to make the best of the conditions that are dealt to us on any particular outing.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The pup has extended our camping year, so we now camp about April-Dec, rather than April through early fall. While we have certainly encountered rain, wind and some snow with the ground tents, having the pup makes it more bearable. One of our criteria is whether or not we can continue our camping activities - hiking, sightseeing and relaxing. If we can't do those things, we go home; it doesn't happen very often.

19. electronflux

electronflux Member

the last 4yrs, our first camp out of the year is Memorial Day weekend. Here in MT that means it will probably snow, depending on the CG there may or may not be any accumulation. The last family camp out is usually sometime in October.

I like winter camp outs in the pup, but that conflicts with hunting season. When I convert my old pup to an enclosed trailer, I may go out into the negative temps, but as a hunting base camp.

20. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

The MN camping season is pretty much May 1st to Oct. 15th. We have to camp according to my weekends off, so we'll take the weather as it is.