fall camping - what to use for heat?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Spridle, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Matt O

Matt O Strangers are friends who have not yet met

How about going someplace that has electric instead and use an electric heater?

It might cost you a few dollars to cancel or change your reservation, but it sounds like it will cost a lot less than if you have to rig up a heat source, and safer.

2. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

Until you see it happen first hand. When you see someone roll into the E.R. gasping for breath because they think "hey what are the odd" then you might get it. EVERY spring and EVERY fall we get a hand full of those who think its an over exageration to play it safe who end up in my hands and most are already dead on arrival.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=52172.0

Dom

3. Cant Wait

Cant Wait New Member

I have been seeing allot of campsites that ban electric heaters when I look for sites to reserve. Been leaning towards a electric heater for those time electric is available that an heated mattress pads

4. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

What is the concern with electric heaters? We have a heater & co2 alarm in our Taos, but I was thinking I'd rather use our electric heater from home... am I safer/better off to use the built in heater???

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

It's not a matter of safety at all.

Some private campgrounds don't want to pay higher power bills that are a result of you using an electric heater.

I don't stay in places with such silly rules. For the record, I've never seen such a ridiculous policy in any public lands campground.

6. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

That is interesting, TH, I wonder how those same campgrounds feel about A/C???

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Neither have I, but then again, I haven't been in many CGs with hook-ups.

8. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

And what makes you think I have not seen the after effects of CO poisoning ...? Or hypoxia for that matter (how could you have forgotten that!) -

The reference you posted was for a generator ... not a portable space heater, and especially a MrBuddy heater, that was my topic of my post. Since your so concerned about it's safety (the MrBuddy heater), why don't you post a CO poisoning caused by use of this unit ... ? Afterall, it's been on the market for over a decade and thousands of them have been sold and in use worldwide. While your searching for the first one such case, let me tell you what the real danger of the unit is ... FIRE.

Now, let me ask you, have you ever seen a human body burned real badly ...? I should think if your so all concerned about the use of the MrBuddy heater, why have you not mentioned the #1 danger ...?
    For that matter, anytime your talking a propane tank on an RV, with gas lines running to different appliances, your talking danger of a serious nature. RV related propane fires are not all that uncommon.

9. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

OK everyone take a step back and calm down if you please. Or not, as was pointed out we are all entitled to our own opinions.

I appreciate everyone's concerns for the safety of my children but no one is more concerned than I am. I know what it's like first hand to lose a baby and I have no intention of putting them at any unnecessary risk. If I use a portable heater I can get a battery powered CO detector for $20 and will do so. As was also pointed out there is risk in all of this. 25 year old propane lines and furnace present risk. Driving the highway to get there presents risk. I do believe the most serious risk in ANY of the proposed solutions, including electric, is fire, not CO poisoning. CO poisoning is very common and not to be taken lightly. But the number one danger of any space heater is fire. The on board furnace is still a space heater.

My pup is 25 years old, very leaky. I'd bet I could run that Coleman for two days with ZERO windows open and still not get sick from CO poisoning. But that's not what we are talking about here. I'm talking about firing the thing up at one or two in the morning and let it run until we get up. I'd be far more concerned in a sealed up tent than this big leaky camper. Yet it says right in the Coleman lit for the one that I have that it's for use inside a tent. Not for sleeping, but that's the liability attorney stepping up.

10. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

You all have me so worked up I'm going out there at 10:00 pm to put the thing up and see if I can get the furnace lit.

11. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

Lol, I see we have another graduate from the school of google here! Clearly you have no idea what you are talking about when you mention hypoxia. Your little google search mentions NOTHING about HYPOXEMIA. Now run along and do your little google search on hypoxemia or better yet let someone who is educated in the matter explain. It doesn't matter if someones FiO2 is 100% let alone a small 8%, if you have CO bonded to hemoglobin you CAN NOT OXYGENATE THE BODY. Hypoxia has NOTHING to do with CO inhalation. Hypoxemia is what starves the campers of oxygen thus sending them into anaerobic metabolism, spiking their lactic acid level to the point that their body PH becomes so acidotic that they can not support life.

We are all aware of the fire hazard here son, but my original post was discussing CO which it still is. If you are so afraid of a camper fire maybe you should get yourself a fleetwood neon that has a bunk and a bench seat, no furnace, no stove, no water heater.

12. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

You shouldn't need a heater while sleeping anyway. Run your furnace or other heater to warm up the camper before you go to bed, then run it again when you wake up. Good bedding or sleeping bags will keep you warm at night, and safely so.

13. riverwalker

riverwalker New Member

I use to heat up flat rocks around my campfire before bed then wrap them in old towels - one by my feet another near my mid section and one near my pillow. They would hold the heat all night. Usually did a search along nearby river or brook to find them. You would be surprised just how well this works.

14. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

I only added oxygen deplettion because I was sure you overlooked it in your chick-little-the-sky-is-falling routine. And if you were all that aware of fire ... how come in your rant you never mentioned it ...? The fact is you really do not know what your talking about when it comes to space heaters.

15. Sushidog

Sushidog Active Member

Everyone has a different level of risk tolerance. Some folks jump out of perfectly good airplanes, or off a bridge with a bungie cord tied to their legs just for fun. My dad on the other hand lived to be 90 yrs old without ever getting in an airplane. BTW, he saw action in WW-II and lived to tell the tale, while othres exposed to far less risks didn't. There is certainly a risk in anything you do, but this one is quite small in comparison to others, and quite managable, as it is a known risk. It's the unknown ones that sneak up on you when you feel safe. My Coleman manual states that my 3,000 BTU catalytic heater requires 6 sq inches of fresh air opening in a closed room. This is the equivalent of cracking a 6 inch wide window open 1 inch. Since I easily provide more than twice this amount of ventilation and have a CO detector as a back-up, I certainly feel I have managed an acceptable risk and am reasonably safe from both co poisoning and oxygen depletion. If you don't, then don't use one.

When I was a kid we'd all pile into the back of our neighbors station wagon (along with our dogs) or the back of my dad's pick-up truck and head off to the movies, fishing, hunting or whatever. There were no car seats, air bags and most cars didn't even have seat belts. The roads were bad, our brakes weak (compared to today) and the cars handled poorly (our horns worked great though.) It was SOP back then, as everyone did it. Now you would be arrested and jailed for criminally endangering children for the exact same behavior which was considered "normal" just a few decades ago! - How does that work? Have we all lost our minds, or have we just become wusses? I can't use the "P" word I'd like to use.

We rode our bikes, horses, etc. without helmets. We rollerskated and played ball in T-shirts and jeans - without helmets or any kind of padding whatsoever. (We had never even heard of a mouth protector or an athletic cup.) Though I'm sure some kids might have died, or were seriously injured, we didn't know any, and considered the small risk acceptable. Did I mention we kids also played with knives (did you ever play chicken or stretch with throwing knives?), hatchets, machettes, bows and arrows and BB guns? We swam in rivers, ponds and lakes with alligators, snakes and God knows what kinds of diseases and pollutants yet no one got sick or eaten - ok a couple may have gotten bitten or stung but we survived. When I got a little older I raced motorcycles and even joined the Army myself - (now that is a risky behavior - at least my heater isn't trying to kill me. (At least I don't think it is.) [;)] I think too many of us are overly concerned about safety these days. Remember, no matter what you do, you're still going to die. There's no way out of it, so get used to the idea. BTW, our moms drank, smoked and we all ate way too much bacon and eggs - almost every day, so I wonder why we didn't all die long ago? Lighten up. None of us are going to get out of this life alive, and if it's my time to meet my Maker, I'd rather do it camping while enjoying life than have a Monday morning grabber at a stressful job.

Chip

16. roughin-it

roughin-it New Member

lol, tell you what old man... you show me in all of my posts where you can see how I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to space heater let us know. What do you have to go off of? I've been talking C.O. all this time and no specifics about any particular space heater, so you explain where your facts are that I don't know what I'm talking about with space heaters. I will be waiting for quotes... Show me.

17. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

This is better than reality TV....... [LOL]............. [::)]

*Runs to cook the popcorn*

18. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

WELL SAID SUSHIDOG!! :)

[​IMG]

[}:)].......... [;)]

19. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy New Member

Before I had the pup I just had a tent. We would camp in the very early spring to late fall. I bought Colman sleeping bags that were rated to 40 below that can zip together & I used a Heat Giant electric heater. It would warm that tent right up no prob. The tent was a big tent also.Cabin style 10x14. You can use one of those or since all your cold air will be coming from beneath the mattress, I use a electric blanket to lay on top of. Just use enough heat to get the chill out of the air. Good quality sleeping bags will trap your body heat inside of it while a little electric heater will get the chill knocked out of the air. The electric blanket will keep your backside nice & warm as well.You might even be too hot! If the tile floor is cold then just get some rugs to walk on or just lay some carpet down. At least for the cold months. This will buy you some time till you get your heater fixed.

20. Indiana Boy

Indiana Boy New Member

I forgot to mention, any time you use a space heater you have to have good ventilation. It wouldnt hurt to crack a window just a little bit just to be on the safe side. Good luck & I hope this helps you!