Fall colors at Smoky Mountains National Park

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by Camper054, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone is visiting the Smoky's in a week or two and can tell if the trees are showing fall colors yet?
    Thanks!

jmkay1 likes this.
  2. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

They're changing here in PA about 2 weeks earlier than normal this year for some reason.....possibly Covid 19 or due to it being an election year, or a combo of both. I suspect the Smokeys should be close to the same since the elevations are similar. Here in 2 weeks it will be over.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

I will be going to Cades Cove in Oct so suspect I would get to see some color by then but I would be curious the answers you get. It would be real nice to see color up there, Last time I went to the Smokies I saw clouds and heavy fog so couldn’t see much of anything other than gray. Many years ago I went to the mountains in PA/NY late Oct To see the leaves and found all the leaves on the ground. I doubt that would be the case this time, but it’s so hard to judge leave color season in the mountains. Temps swing so much more.

Camper054 likes this.
  4. jmkay1

@Old_Geezer What campground was this taken? It is very beautiful picture.

5. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

x2 @jmkay1 , beautiful pic, @Old_Geezer !

I did some searching and found that there are some NPs they have live cam! Here is one at some places at the Smokys
    https://www.nps.gov/grsm/learn/photosmultimedia/webcams.htm

I have a site reserved at Elkmont second week in Oct. Hoping all system is a go by then as with three teenage boys and my and DW work, you never know what may come up. But I am really looking forward to it as this may be the last trip of the year....

6. jmkay1

Great find! Didn’t know they had live cams. I will only be in the Smokies for four days sadly just couldn’t find a spot open for longer. It was a last minute trip change as my original trip was to TX, but that got canceled due to Covid. Truth be told I’m more excited for this Smokie trip than the one to TX. By the way, fill up your tow vehicle just before you get on the mountain even if you have plenty, when you tow on that mountain that gas gage goes down quick. At least it did with my setup. Enjoy!

7. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

@jmkay1 , thanks! yes, i am looking forward to my trip. You are absolutely correct - need to fill the my truck. I also carry a five gallon gas can - just in case. Well, based on my experience also. Had a terrible situation several years back at the Grand Canyon NP. At that time, I did not have my truck, had a rental car. It was late night and I was tried from all the site seeing and hiking at Grand Canyon. By the time we left the park and started to go to our next destination, after an hour or so, I realized I am low on gas and was scared to death as nothing came available at that late night. Fortunately, I found something. Kids were younger then, and I would have been stuck somewhere in the middle of the night, in the car...plus to make things worse, there was no cell phone signal :(...Learned my lesson :)...

jmkay1 likes this.
  8. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Laurel Hill state park, near Somerset Pa.

jmkay1 likes this.
  9. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

70E5D886-9891-4726-BEC8-63C8A14C67A9.jpeg C5CA5243-F11D-4724-BFDC-2B1A51726386.jpeg A0CAB0FD-63A3-4D58-BB33-C8FAD4C74E4C.jpeg Just drove up. From North Carolina to PA. Fall is peaking

Camper054 likes this.
  10. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Buy gas on the Tennessee side of the park. North Carolina has about 25 or 30 cents in extra gas taxes.

11. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Color depends on tree species and ALTITUDE. You have a 4,000' spread. A suggestion would be to run 441 once and see what altitude the main color is at. Or ask at the visitor center.

Camper054 likes this.
  12. jmkay1

Just got back. It looked like leaves were just about to change, but weren’t quite there yet. Had a great time despite twisting the ankle getting out of the camper The second day in. So no hiking like I planned, but still went up to Anakeesta and walked around up there. My battery held out the entire five days without issue with me conserving. Cranked it up to 65 before bed but turned it down to 55 for overnight. With heat intentions the furnace only turned on around 3ish except for the last night when it went on a few times. Weather held out great.

Camper054 likes this.
  13. mandolinpicker

mandolinpicker Member

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020